Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: West lake
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:20 pm 
Goby

Hi new to the board but from what i have seen its a first class site. Heading up next weekend staying at sunrise cottages on West lake. Question would it be better to trailer to the BOQ from west lake or boat over. I am getting the sense that most of the big eyes are still in the lake and haven't gone into the bay yet. Never been up yet in the fall looking forward to trying out some of your great walleye fishing. On a side note if the wind is too high what kind of fishing should i expect in the West Lake??Thanks in advance for any help that you are willing to give.

Post subject: Re: West lake
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:36 pm 
Walleye Master

there is decent fishing to be had in west lake, i would diffently trailer, depending what kind of boat you have.
there have been reports of guys going out of wellington catching the big eyes, have a look at those reports.
hope this helps. the big lake can have ruff waves.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:11 pm 
Walleye Master

if the wind is light I would absolutely make the run towards scotch bonnett in lake ontario. If wind is too much for there but not that bad trailer to quinte (picton). that all said there is decent bass/pike/walleye fishing right in west lake. Small cranks and worm harness's is what i would try for walleye on west lake

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:03 pm 
Goby

Like i said first class board thanks for the information. Ya if the wind gets up we will stay put but if its a nice weekend like they are calling for it could be a thanksgiving to put in the book. Running a 18 foot legend Deep V with a 115 Merc. so it can handle some waves but who wants to get beat to hell looking to have a great weekend and if i land a few fish thats iceing on the cake. Thanks again for the help. John.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:11 pm 
Walleye Master

Quickfish4me, welcome to the board, lots of great info here.
I am a neighbor of Dave at Sunrise Cottages. 2 houses to the east. Dave is also a member of this site. You have to trailer to Picton to fish the Bay of Quinte. By boat it is 80 to 90 miles to Picton.

I have included a map to show you the locations. Scotch Bonnet lighthouse is just a mile southeast of the little Island to the west of Wellington. It is 10 miles from Wellington to the Bonnet. You can catch some nice walleye, bass & pike in West Lake. We have a club derby on Quinte Saturday but may try the Bonnet on Sunday if water temps look good and the winds are not too high.

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:26 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Hi, I was on West Lake a week ago. Beware of the boat lauches in Wellington, they are super shallow. The one by the bar and fishing store was too shallow for my bass boat in July. The one at the beach, was just deep enough to float the boat off. This is the third lake in a row I fished with very low water. Also, beware when you drive around, especially the southern portion (near Sand Banks). I discovered a nice rock bar a half a foot below the water. I saw geese standing on it and went in for a closer look. We did catch walleye on the points. They were on jigs and tubes, as we were mostly after bass. The walleyes were nice but not picton size. Good Luck!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:00 pm 
Walleye Master

Yes the water is low but the launches at Wellington are low angle ramps. Got to get the rear tires wet on the tow vehicle at these launches. I just loaded a 24 foot deep V there a couple weeks ago and probably will launch her this Thursday to fish the Bonnet.

The channel into the Big lake is getting a little shallow now. Probably close to 2 1/2 feet in certain areas now.

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:15 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I would trailer over to the Glenora Marina ($8 to park and launch) and go east on the bay from there. The Bigg Eyes are right there right now waiting for you. Once you go past the ferry you can also troll with two rods per person :) Good Luck and post your pics !!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:17 pm 
Goby

Hi everybody,

I'm also new to this board and I would really appreciate some hints. Does anybody have a link that will show boat lunches? I would like to get my feet wet when it comes to trolling for walleye. I'm new in this sector as well so any info would be great. Do you need to use a planner board or just downriggers would be sufficient ?

Thanks for help

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:29 am 
Walleye Wisdom

John, Had a group here this past weekend from Molson Breweries that fished WestLake. The weather wasn't the greatest, but they did manage some monster Bass and Wallskies. They fished the shoreline and weed beds in the short time they were out. The Bonnet is 35 minutes from our docks at 25mph. Weather is supposed to be sunny this coming weekend . I haven't looked at Wind Guru yet for a wind forecast. See you this weekend.. Dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:41 am 
Goby

Looking forward to the weekend Dave the more i read on this board the more impressed i am top quality board with everyone helping each other out. See you Friday Morning John.

banner ad
banner ad