Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Salmon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:18 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Not Quinte related, but figured i would post as there were quite a few Salmon queries on the board.

I managed to make it down to Bowmanville Creek to see if i could tie into a Salmon. I picked up 1 male approx 20lbs which i released and 1 female in the picture which i kept. There are lots of Chinook in that creek right now with most pools full of salmon. There are also a few rainbows around as well.. but still a little early. The fishing is great there, i seen many fish caught and thousands in the pools and rapids. There was unfortunately an army of asians in the middle of the river in hip waders snagging them and pulling them out on dollies. Pretty sad, but if you can find a pool to yourself, you are in for some great salmon fishing. Waverly rd north off 401 and right on hwy 2 to the park. You can walk along the creek there.

I also stopped in at Ganaraska, but the Salmon started a month ago, so its too late to get them in the mouth. Talked to a local and he said they are getting a few Rainbows off the end in the mornings + some browns.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Salmon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:23 pm 
Walleye Master

nice, do they still taste good that dark in colour ?
sounds like a ton of fun, i have allways done live release with them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:26 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I have eaten them this dark, they are not as good as walleyes, but i grew up in Vancouver island so they just aren't the same regardless :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

I hear alot of people eat them when they are that dark question is it safe ???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:51 am 
Walleye Angler

Did you call the ministry about the guys who were snagging them? Perhaps if we all start calling, they will eventually fish Canadian style and follow the laws that the people of this country have put in place to protect the fishery!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:07 am 
Walleye Master

1-877-TIPS MNR (847-7667)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:37 pm 
Perch

1-800 Tipping

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:01 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I didn't have the # when i was there, but thanks, i do now. The river is right in town, so its pretty bold... they were right in the middle of the river in hip waders scaring all the fish. They were using a small spawn sack on a HUGE 3 prong hook. I have seen the same thing in most of the small river/creeks when i used to fish them.

I seem to recall someone saying that the salmon don't reproduce in any successful numbers in great lakes tribs due to the rivers/creeks are not , so the MNR doesn't pursue snaggers when they spawn. They rely on stocking practices, not sure how accurate that is.

The fishing is still good there and there are a few rainbows and browns hanging around. I don't think i would go on the weekends due to the people on the small creek but the weekdays would be good... lots of fish and a good fight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:18 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I used to go down to springside park in Napanee to put a bend in the rod with the salmon. Saw a CO down there quite regular and he was watching close. Never bothered the guys drifting roe on a single hook, but seen him write up a few folks rip jigging with the big trebels or keeping fish caught on cranks that weren't hooked in the mouth.

Hate to see people out wading in the in the middle of spawning streams. But if their out there snagging guess they don't care about walking through the redds.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad