Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:02 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Check out this video on keeping your boat safe when the temps drop.
http://www.ibassin.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:20 pm 
Walleye Master

That is a great video! Some good tips especially for the late season on Quinte.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:40 am 
Walleye

Stabil in the gas tank is avery good tip,but windshield washer fluid will evaporate because it has alcohol in it,not a good tip.Should use marine antifreeze in pumps,livewells,bilge and low areas of the hull.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:29 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Glad that you liked the video. Regarding the winter washer fluid; it is used as a short term solution, not as a winter storage step. I was speaking to a scientist and he explained that the RV Fluid works best when mixed with water. It is ideal for sitations when you cannot remove water and need to prevent it from freezing such as in a toilet or RV tank. He said the washer fluid is great when a pump or area is dry or slightly damp. Hey, he's the expert. For winter storage I still use the RV stuff because it has a lower cold weather rating.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Luigi De Rose wrote:
Glad that you liked the video. Regarding the winter washer fluid; it is used as a short term solution, not as a winter storage step. I was speaking to a scientist and he explained that the RV Fluid works best when mixed with water. It is ideal for sitations when you cannot remove water and need to prevent it from freezing such as in a toilet or RV tank. He said the washer fluid is great when a pump or area is dry or slightly damp. Hey, he's the expert. For winter storage I still use the RV stuff because it has a lower cold weather rating.

I am no scientist, only a science teacher, but mixing the antifreeze with water doesn't seem like a good idea. Most antifreeze is a mix of propylene glycol, alcohols and water. Adding more water to it will dilute the other components and change the physical properties of the antifreeze mixture. More water will decrease the burst protection temperature of the solution, which it the temperature at which the liquid expands in volume, which is the peoblem. Liquid freezing is not the problem, the expansion of the solution is the problem and adding water means the liquid will freeze and than expand at a high temperature (closer to the freezing mark) and that is what we are trying to avoid.

I'm no expert but I will use mt RV plumping antifreeze at full strength, as recommended by all the manufacturers I could find.

I did like the video though, and I was trying to figure out an easy way to get the antifreeze to run through my livewell pump.

Just my 2 cents.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:50 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

You are correct. Let me clarify. I wrote anti-freeze is good when mixed with water. What I should have wrote was, anti-freeze works well in situations when you cannot, 100% remove all the water such as in some RV tanks, pumps, or toilets. Please don't mix anti-freeze with water, the water counteracts the usefulness of using anti-freeze.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:44 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Luigi De Rose wrote:
You are correct. Let me clarify. I wrote anti-freeze is good when mixed with water. What I should have wrote was, anti-freeze works well in situations when you cannot, 100% remove all the water such as in some RV tanks, pumps, or toilets. Please don't mix anti-freeze with water, the water counteracts the usefulness of using anti-freeze.

Got it, makes sense now.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

banner ad
banner ad