Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: WIND/WATER
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:39 pm 
Walleye Master

Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone could tell me what speed of wind would start to make the water too rough for a 16 footer. (knots or km/h) I know direction of wind and location on the water makes a difference. Coming down for 3 days this week, and hoping I don't have to spend the whole time hiding or fishing the shorelines. It's calling for wind speeds from the mid 20's up to 40 km/h Thursday to Saturday. :evil: :evil:

Thanks

Post subject: Re: WIND/WATER
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:16 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I have a 17' deep -V that i fish in Picton quite often. at 20Km/hr winds, you can get away with fishing along some of the shores and even "manage" trolling open areas. Anything higher than that, its just too cold this time of year and difficult to manage your boat unless you have a larger vessel. Obviously wind direction changes things though. I find N or S wind you can still fish Adolphus reach, while W and to a certain degree E winds you can fish parts of Picton bay and Long reach. But i personally cut it off at 20 but max 25 km/h winds as its just not easy going.

When the wind is blowing like that i head for Rice lake, pigeon, or Scugog. Or just get Wally's off shore at night in the Bay.

hope this helps.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:16 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

I agree with biff. It's just not fun in 25km+ winds.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:43 pm 
Walleye Master

we were out today and sustainted winds were 28km sw according to windfinder and weather network in adolphustown station. It was totally fine down long reach, thompsons to shermans pt were a mess, picton bay was not good until you go closer to the sw shore and somehow adolph reach was worse than all of the above. I would not have taken my 17.6 princecraft superpro today, nor will I thursday which is basically the same forcast as today...

This weekend looks brutal

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:59 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks Big Mac and biff. I always assumed Adolphus ran East/West, but after looking at a map, it actually runs SW/NE. That's why it was bad for ya today with the SW wind. Anyhow, I'll have to deal with what I get.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:26 am 
Walleye

we did friday in a 16 foot tin can and ill tell ya if that was only 20 km/hr north winds,id hate to be out there in 25+
for sure unless in a much bigger boat.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:00 am 
Walleye Fry

I hope they are wrong about the winds for the weekend....

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:11 pm 
Walleye

I'm glad this post got started because I'm interested in what all the guys with lots of experience on the Bay think. I've had a trip planned for this weekend since last year, but I'm not interesting in making the trip all the way from Niagara if we can't even get on the water at all. I've got a 17' aluminum so I can't handle too much chop. The problem is I don't know how much chop there will be! I had planned on fishing east of the Glenora ferry so the forecasted SW winds have me worried.....

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 pm 
Walleye

you will be able to fish when you come down,when the winds are causing rough water ive read guys post in here if its rough in 1 spot there are spots it wont be bad.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Saturday is forecasted straight out of the west so u can launch in picton and fish the cement plant all the way to long reach

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:02 pm 
Walleye Master

smilenwave17 wrote:
I'm glad this post got started because I'm interested in what all the guys with lots of experience on the Bay think. I've had a trip planned for this weekend since last year, but I'm not interesting in making the trip all the way from Niagara if we can't even get on the water at all. I've got a 17' aluminum so I can't handle too much chop. The problem is I don't know how much chop there will be! I had planned on fishing east of the Glenora ferry so the forecasted SW winds have me worried.....

I've been looking at the wind forecast for the last 3 or 4 days on WindGuru and Windfinder, and the direction of the wind changes all the time. It seems like the wind will be high though(for smaller boats) I'm in the same position as you, but like other guys have mentioned on here, you should still be able to fish, just maybe not where you want to. Also, maybe the change in weather may turn on the bite!!!

Good Luck

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:04 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I used to look at the long range forecast, and rarely is it right. Most times they call for 35 from the N and it is 5 from the S.

Everyday they change their wind forecast. One thing i know, they are pretty accurate within 24 hrs, anything more than that, you are still good.

I check Iwindsurf.com, TWN and windfinder and then take the average - 5 KM/hr :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:15 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Just something to add to my previous post. SuperDad post recently on getting a few with the CC shad. Unfortunately, i put my boat away for the year, but CC Shad work great, i never got a chance to dust mine off. Even if the wind is blowing, you can still troll along the cement plant and the contours on the South shore, not a loss at all. I have been meaning to try in a little closer to the picton harbour, but usually head to the north shore of Adolphus for Jumbo Perch this time of year. I would stick a CC on or wally diver and fish the contours from 20+ out from the harbour, along the cement plant and South shore. You should be good with the waves in most cases below 25/30 Km wind.... so not really a loss.

Man i just hate planning a fishing trip and the weather is crap. Hope you have some luck!

banner ad
banner ad