Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Rice Lake Pike
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:40 am 
Walleye

Lets do two topics here!!!ANyone wanting to come up to The Trent River stretch,between Hastings and Healy Falls,will have to do it in a Canoe,the water is so low at The Trent River ramp,on Hwy.#30,just south of Havelock,that you cannot launch,if you try to ,your trailer will drop off the end of the ramp,and then your done,anyways to topic two,went to Rice Lake yesterday,as I got permission from the wonderful folks at Hasting Marine to use there ramp,on the north side of the river ,in Hastings,went out to the north tip of Margret Island and after finding a great weed bed,caught three Northern Pike,all about 4 to 5 lbs,I guess it was just a matter of time before they got through the locks at Hastings,as there is only ,one lock to come through!!!!! :roll: :?:

Post subject: Re: Rice Lake Pike
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:53 am 
Walleye

The end is near for the Muskie

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:54 am 
Minnow

any pics of the pike? and hopefully you kept them!

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:58 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking your thread, Buddy....

Bogger's response brings up a question and dilemma I've had this year fishing a small back lake.

It's a great trailer park / camping area and lake to fish; no gas motors except for the couple of cottages. Mostly good lg and sm bass population; seen a 9.5 largie pulled out and a few over 7 this summer, as well as pike but a deminishing walleye population that people say is due to the growing pike population.

I've caught a lot of pike inluding one around 20lb a 15lb and crap load well over 5 this summer. I've released all but a couple to eat but have been told to "kill these!" by most people around the lake.

I won't kill a fish unless it's bait or going to the table. The hammer handle sized fish are abundant too but there's no way I'll eat these so can't get myself to kill them. The big ones I've released, have become my On Golden Pond, Walter.

It's become a big issue on this lake. The owners have put up pictures of the big pike I've caught on the stores wall but it's now to the point that I no longer talk about catching these cause I know the first response will be "I hope you killed them!"

Although I love to fish pike, I'm not the pike hunter that's going to help clear the lake of them. Don't want to lie...don't want to cause people to dislike my catch and release practice.

So...would you kill them or let them go?

Cheers,

Paul

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:11 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I fished Seymour this summer alot, and was surprised at the amount of pike in there, knew it wouldn t be long before they are in Rice. If the pike spread through the Kawarthas then the muskie are doomed. You are not needlessly killing the pike, you are saving another species. I read an interesting article.... from I believe it was the Lindner boys regarding pike conservation. (Controlling the hammer handles) I wish I could find it, they backed it up with studies as well.
If you get a pike in Rice... kill it!!! It doesnt belong there!!!!
In My Opinion!!!
teppy

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:31 pm 
Minnow

legacy the only reason i said i hoped he kept them is because pike are an invasive species to the kawartha lakes. they do not belong in the kawartha system.

if your fishing a lake where pike are native to that body of water then by all means catch and release all you want.

the mnr has actually requested that anglers keep pike caught in zone 17. and they have opened the season up all year.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:51 pm 
Walleye

Didn,t keep them,and forgot the camera,they won,t hurt the Musky,I had a 20lb. musky surface beside the boat,with about a four pound pike in it,s yap,sideways,that was really cool!!!!ey there D.F.(Private Joke)Did you fianally learn how to clean those Pike??? :lol: :roll: :wink:

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:30 pm 
Minnow

Hey Bogger!
I don't believe that you can't just go out and kill a game fish, unless of course you're going to eat it. The regs state it is illegal to kill and waste a game fish. Doesn't matter if they are taking over a lake or not. It would be up to the MNR to net and eliminate an unwanted species. We're all worried about the muskie in the kawarthas, but I have also heard the "Kill all the Muskie" attitude over the years as the walleye population declined. Stick with the conservationist approach and follow the regs. That way there is no misunderstanding. I'm sure there are many out there that would take advantage of the kill all the pike attitude to rape a lake. Yes keep them to eat, but don't waste any fish. My 2 cents.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

There Is Video From Underwater Divers, Filming Walleye Following Breeding Muskies.

Not too sure it is the Pike that is the issue For the Musky, It could be allot of things.

Eventually That Walter, Will Be the ALPHA, To that body of water and Pike Are known to be the Most Canabalistic Species of Fish in our systems.
I think overtime they will also thin themselves out.

But hey, It might be a good idea for some group, to take on a Rearing operation...?????

~Jeremy

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Oh I can clean them, Rocket!

Hopefully you've learned now yourself. :)

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:32 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Are you sure they were pike Ive been fishing Rice Lake for 5 plus yrs and never caught a pike yet lots of Musky. My buddy has been fishing it for 10 plus years and has never caught a pike there.

banner ad
 Post subject: Rice Lake Pike
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:05 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hope you killed them call the Peterborough district office and let them know about them.

banner ad
banner ad