banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Walleye down deep!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:32 am 
Walleye

Hey guys I thought id share this with you. This past friday and saturday we were down fighting the wind we managed some quality fish, but it was slow ! We fished west friday and east saturday. All season weve been marking thousands of hooks down
Deep 60-120 feet , we decided to drop a line down 97ft down 60 feet back off the rigger to try and figure out what we were marking. So a half hour later the rigger popped , expecting a laker or bow etc. we netted a nice 2 lb eye! So we reset and hit another 2.5 lber 15 minutes later. It blew my mind that those fish deep were walleye! For the record we brought the fish up slow and they still blew there bladder, We kept the fish and had them last night. Just please be prepared fishing that deep to keep anything you hook up as theyre chances of survival are very slim. Has anyone experienced walleye this deep?

Post subject: Re: Walleye down deep!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:35 am 
Walleye Angler

Thats interesting. I have caught bass down 45-50' and thought it was strange.
Grillzy

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 am 
Walleye Master

Yes Kyle, that is why we don't use riggers & divers a lot anymore unless we plan on keeping.
Long coppers and cores give the eye a lot better chance to partially equalize before they hit the net. You have less than 2 minutes to unhook the eye, take pictures and get it back into the water.

A few weeks ago Davey and I watched a released eye go to bottom on the sonnar in over 100 fow. It was really neat to see it go down in less than 2 seconds.

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:50 am 
Walleye

Thanks that makes sense!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:22 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

TO DEEP!!!!

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:39 am 
Walleye

I no way to deep but it satisfied my curiousity of what we were marking and we had my chef uncle cook up a delicious meal for my birthday dinner

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:54 pm 
Perch

Not too deep, acctually good job on figuring out a pattern and catching a few! We have caught a few deep on the riggers before too. But I ussually don't use riggers for walleye I think they spook the walleye. Back up this weekend can't wait! Seeya Fishhound

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:02 pm 
Walleye Master

A couple years ago I took a few that fall on 300' & 400' coppers.

They were small fish and most released OK. We brought them in slowly.

Maybe running 200' copper this weekend.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:25 pm 
Baitfish

It's been my experience for lake trout, walleye and even panfish that the deeper you go, smaller fish become more frequent. Not all the time, but enough times that've taken notice of it. I've done the same thing..drop something to that level and been suprised by lots of below-average sized fish. I think the prime/shallower structures or bands of water are occupied a lot of the time by larger fish that are in a fairly active state and smaller fish steer clear. Deep expanses of water strike me as a pretty secure place for smaller fish or baitfish. Thru the ice for lake trout, schools of 12-20" fish ball up in 90-120fow, we get all our fish over twelve pounds either high in the water or in water that's shallower on top of structure, 40-65'. In a Great lakes scenario, 2 pound walleyes are definitely a forage option.
Last winter on Lake Simcoe us and other guys were getting dink perch deeper than eighty feet! All over the lake, too. The big fish are 15-40 feet deep. For walleyes up north in the spring we mark lots of activity down 35-45', drop the jigs down and they're little crappies, perch or cigar walleye. All the bigger walleyes and pike are in 10-20fow. I'm sure it's no secret to big fish that smaller, abundant feed hangs out in these deeper slots and I'm sure it all cycles back and forth. Muskies in the hot part of the summer where I fish will roam around big 30-35' areas of featureless soft bottom that are plastered with small perch. Not exactly classic structure, but lots of small panfish and bass hang out in this zone.
We get nearly all of our biggest walleye on BOQ fishing well above the fish and I guess 'shallow' or 'high.' Had fish over twelve pounds jump on lures while trying to clip the board on long before the bait has bottomed out in its trolling depth. Five finger hookset lol.

banner ad
banner ad