Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trolling Speed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:06 am 
Walleye

All our current high-tech gadgets seem to create more questions than they answer, and one that I now find confusing is trolling speed. I have always started around 1.0/1.5 and worked up to 2.0/2.5. But I now have two speeds - water speed which I usually worked with, and speed over ground which I find is usually .5 higher than water speed.

Can anyone tell me which speed is used for Precision Trolling dive curves or is this starting to get too technical?

Post subject: Re: Trolling Speed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:51 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Erie-Eye

I beleive the trolling book is based on ground speed.

We are using ground speed for our fishing, lately between 1.5 and 1,8 MPH

Lotsa Luck

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:32 am 
Jumbo Perch

I agree with Superdad...your GPS is more accurate using ground speed,as it should give you a more true reading of your boat....going with the current and against the current,and it updates every second or so,but it comes down to what you are comfortable with ...without second guessing your equipment and causing mixed emotions about either.I've used the little wheel thingy mounted beside the transducer,but I never thought once that it was at all accurate for true speed,but for a reference mark it was ok.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:44 am 
Walleye

Thanks for input guys - sort of confirms my thinking. My 9.9 was overheating last trip & I was having difficulty getting 140 down under 2.00 mph. 9.9 has since been fixed so should be able to get back to 1.00 - 1.50 again.

Making our last trip next Tue/Wed/Thur, then Erie-Eyes goes in for winter storage. If anyone fishing these days give us a shout on VHF - Channel 16.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:25 am 
Walleye Master

Erie-Eyes wrote:
All our current high-tech gadgets seem to create more questions than they answer, and one that I now find confusing is trolling speed. I have always started around 1.0/1.5 and worked up to 2.0/2.5. But I now have two speeds - water speed which I usually worked with, and speed over ground which I find is usually .5 higher than water speed.

Can anyone tell me which speed is used for Precision Trolling dive curves or is this starting to get too technical?

The most accurate speed reading is down speed on the probe. Wave action has some effect on it but not as much as the other speed indicators. I have 4 speed indicators on the Grand Slam. GPS (speed over ground) is fine on most days until you get into waves over 2 feet. The up and down rocking motion of the boat affects this greatly. Also if the satellites are not in good triangulation then the readings will also be a bit off. I have 2 speed wheels on the boat and they are only marginally accurate even on calm days. Wave direction will greatly affect these depending on speed and direction. Hull design is another determining variable.

So if you are really serious about catching walleye and you want to be really accurate, down speed is the answer.

I don't use it very often but then again I am not all that serious about catching eyes. The fall on Quinte is like a vacation for me from the high tech & high pressure salmon tournament angling I do all summer.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:57 pm 
Walleye

I think lure speed is it's action through water. Be it current or flat water lure speed is not cog speed. A fish hawk x4 speed and temp probe is in my opinion best means of data on lure speed while targeting temp. The difference of surface temp and speed vrs. Speed and temp at the ball.

20 Honda Kicker
TR1 Gold with iTroll Throttle Command
Fish Hawk X4
23 Ft. Sulvan Great lakes rigged
18 Ft centre consol Starcraft
Great lake Salmon Rigged
and a canoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:23 pm 
Walleye Master

Erie-Eyes wrote:

Erie-Eyes, here is your answer.

It's a common misconception that trolling speed influences a crankbait's diving depth. It does not! Within the ranges of normal use, crankbaits will dive to the same depths regardless of lure speed. The exception of course are lures that are out of tune and not running properly.

Holt and Romanack discovered that lurestrolled at .75 to 3 MPH all achieved the same maximum depth, but lures trolled slowly took a little longer for the baits to reach maximum depth.

Trolling speed does however have a profound effect on lure action. Certain baits have little or no action at slow speeds and must be pulled at a brisk clip to be effective. Other baits simply can't be trolled fast or their subtle action is lost and the bait worthless.

Holt & Romanack wrote the Precision Trolling Guide.
Here is his website: http://www.fishing411.net/precision-tro ... ience.html

Later
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad