banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:17 pm 
Walleye

This years deer hunt included some newbies. My daughter, 16 yrs., and another young lad, 15 yrs. My daughter came in with me on the Wednesday of the first week. We sat on a few watches, I tried to teach her the ropes of deer hunting, shared some memories and sat and waited for a deer. The only thing we saw was chickadees and red squirrels that sound like they weigh at least 150 lbs come through the bush. It was still a rush! I really wanted her to see a deer come out to us, but the deer gods were not participating in the event. Oh well, it was a memory I will cherish. Friday night another young lad come in to the camp for his first deer hunt. We discuss our stratagies as to who goes where, what dogs are running and all the good stuff. My daughter decides she is going to go sit with the young lad. I'm thinking OK........ and a few other things. 6:30 am Saturday morning were off to our watches. I stop by my daughter and the young lad and wish them luck, look deep into the lads eyes with a dark glaring stare and say, " the only gun that goes off here better be that 30.06 rem your holding in your hands!" He laughs, my daughter blushes and I chuckle my way to my watch. 7:05 am were all in waiting for the dogger to start the dogs and "BANG! X 7" I climb down the tree I was leaning against, pick up my radio to hear my son saying "DOE DOWN!" I radio back " GOOD JOB BUDDY! but just one? why the 8 shots?" "I missed her the other 7!" He unloaded 5, reloaded and took 3 more shots at a doe that just walked out on him. The excuse for missing, HANGOVER! 20 minutes later the dogs are tonguing, I'm up and ready, I see her sneaking across a big ridge full of evergreens. I don't have a clear shot, I pick a spot, she sticks her head out and down goes our second doe of the run, boy was I mad as hell! I really wanted my daughter to come with me instead. Another 20 minutes later, BANG! I climb down the tree I was once leaning against to hear my radio going bezerk! The young lad that took my daughter out to his watch had just shot his first deer! It was a 200 lb 8 point buck!!!!! Back at camp that evening, my daughter is all excited, happy, wants to get her license now and says, "He said he got that deer before he even pulled the trigger!!" All in all, it was our best deer hunt ever at the camp!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Nice report wounded. Great to see the young hunters get some deer action. Also no better way to greet the young lad sitting with your daughter than with a rifle, dogs and a gang of friends who can track. 8O I'll bet he was a very respectful young man that morning in the woods. :lol:

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 pm 
Walleye Master

Great story, congrats to both the new and up and coming hunters.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:59 pm 
Walleye Angler

those are some nice deer!, great way to keep them in the sport! and get new people in when they see a photo like that!, congrats to everyone at your camp!,,

Cheers,
Code

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:05 pm 
Walleye

Thank you!
That's what it's all about! This year we changed things up. If your wife/girl friend wanted to come up for a day or 2 or 3, bring your kids, whatever, they were all welcome! We even had a 4 year old up there for the first week, she sat on a watch with her daddy, and did some doggin too! If we got a deer, bonus, if not.... who cares! It's the quality time and the teaching of the hunting and safety, that matters to us! We're all getting up there in the years, someone needs to carry on the the camp when we can't. And we want it done right, legally, professionally and most of all safely!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:58 pm 
Walleye Fry

Sounds like a great week out in the bush. Way to get the next generation into hunting.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:55 am 
Minnow

i know all about it wounded... i have been taking my daughter opening day for the last 5 years.. she is now 11yrs. i try to pick the watch that we would most likely see that deer but alway goes out to someone else... and i usually shoot one the day or two after in that same watch... one of these years she is going to experience the excitment that her daddy gets when he sees and deer and better yet has a chance to shoot it....

to all...

keep taken the youngsters out.. as noisey as they might become, it's well worth the experince and bonding....

i remember when my father took me out every opening day just to be there with him and experience what he experienced... the memories will last forever and that is why i am the hunter and fisherman that i am now.....

jason

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:21 am 
Walleye Master

Congarats to all you guys & gals.

Great advice. I take my little guys (4&6) duck hunting all the time. I take along a Canadian tire super special recurve bow and we shoot cattails into the water while waiting for the ducks or geese. Then if and when something comes, they get to "shoot" too. I also let them call for me. I actually think they are better than I am.

I bought a full blind for deer this year thinking their movements wouldn't be seen and the wind would be off them, but I found they couldn't see out of it as well as just being out in the open and were more fidgety in there staring at four walls and little windows. They were better just sitting with a tree up against their backs and a small sit behind blind to look over and around.

banner ad
banner ad