Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:15 pm 
Walleye

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site but I know enough to know this is the place to be when it comes to the BOQ.

That said, my brother, friend and I are hoping to hit the area on Saturday for the first time. We are from Kingston and normally fish the back lakes for bass, pike, crappie and lake trout. We'd love to get into some trophies but would be just as happy finding some walleye period!

Any advice on where to launch, lures they're biting, depths that are holding fish, etc. would be very helpful. My brother's boat is a 2011 Legend 20XCalibur and has 175 Optimax ProXS on it along with a 9.9 kicker, 100lb thrust Minn Kota with iPilot and a Lowrance HDS10 with navionics so getting to spots won't be a problem for us...we just need to know of them. :)

He has riggers on board but we aren't that big on down rigging just yet and prefer to cast / jig so tips on some good jigging locations would be great although if trolling is the way to go we would definitely be willing to try.

I realise there is a TON of info you guys must have and I don't expect anyone to to write a novel or give us their honey holes (keep in mind we are strictly catch and release when it comes to trophy fish and only keep the odd fish for my fiancee) but any advice or tips would much appreciated!

Feel free to PM me.

Many thanks!
-Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:58 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Welcome to the board.

I'm relatively new to the Quinte game, compared to many on here, but if you are looking for a nice trophy walleye, I would troll with in-line planer boards to cover water, instead of jigging.

If you do a bit of "leg work" and look through various reports on the site you will find lots of tips on locations, lures, colours, trolling speed, boat launches ......

Best of luck if you make it out this weekend.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:12 am 
Walleye Angler

I sent you a pm Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:54 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Welcome to the Board , the best advice or tip you can get is READ , many of the posters on this board have been updating daily so just watch the posts and learn :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:06 pm 
Walleye

Thanks TrophyHunter,

I've been doing a ton of reading and picking up as much as I can but having the basics sent to me to get me started and to have somewhere I could reference was key for me.

Thankfully a few members PM'd me with some great stuff on launches, basic setups that they use so I'm good to venture out as a first timer a bit more confident then say had I simply scanned through posts and picked up info here and there. So just to be clear I wasn't looking for anyone to give me their best spots or to hold my hand but definitely didn't want to venture out without feeling confident I knew enough about what I was doing.

See you on the water.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Best of luck if you make it out. I'll be out on Saturday and Sunday.

JimW
"Eye Candy" - Tracker ProGuide 17 Optimax 115

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:16 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey andrew,

I've been reading this message board for a while now, and have seen about 10-15 post that start similar to yours.

While reading through, I have learned that There is something out there Called the "Quinte Fairy" Apparently Its not soo big and Wears a Pink tutu.

If you see this "Quinte Fairy" You'll be sure the Quinte Gold is somewhere close....

Only been to quinte 3 times in 2 years,- Trolling for gold- ....

And have yet to see this Elusive "Quinte Fairy" .....

I think we were close the last time out because all we wanted was some sheepshead and couldnt get the Eyes to Stop.....

With that Said Andrew,

Good luck out there, and be safe.....

~Jeremy..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:15 am 
Walleye

Jeremy Green wrote:
Hey andrew,

I've been reading this message board for a while now, and have seen about 10-15 post that start similar to yours.

While reading through, I have learned that There is something out there Called the "Quinte Fairy" Apparently Its not soo big and Wears a Pink tutu.

If you see this "Quinte Fairy" You'll be sure the Quinte Gold is somewhere close....

Only been to quinte 3 times in 2 years,- Trolling for gold- ....

And have yet to see this Elusive "Quinte Fairy" .....

I think we were close the last time out because all we wanted was some sheepshead and couldnt get the Eyes to Stop.....

With that Said Andrew,

~Jeremy..

HA! Helpful Jeremy,

Well I definitely wasn't hoping to start a flame war on here but what can you do.

Cool while I'm looking for the Bat Cave maybe I'll see that Quinte Fairy carrying all that gold you've been looking for, if I do I'll be sure to let you know. In the mean time I hope to find some walleye after I launch from the Glenora Ferry and head East through the reach and if not then maybe I'll head West and jig near Thompson Point or work Sherman's Point as well. But don't worry if I do that I'll make sure to only use one line since I wouldn't want to break any rules.

Anyhow, don't quit your day job in hopes of becoming a comedian... :) and defintely don't attempt to write any how to books either.

Again thanks to all that were helpful.

With that said Jeremy,

banner ad