Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:27 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: ice fishing heater
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:58 pm 
Perch

Was just wondering what you guys think is the best heater out there for Ice fishing in a portable...?

I know there are the mr. heaters but I haven't really gotten to see them in action much. From what I have read it doesn;t seem like they conserve propane a whole lot. Are there any other heaters I may not know about?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: ice fishing heater
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:27 pm 
Walleye Master

no way could i say whats best because ive only owned one lol but i can tell you a thing or two i use a MR heat the kind that screws on the top of a bigger propane bottle , the baby will cook and warm the shack on the coldest days, I got a 5 lb bottle so i didnt have to lug a 20 lb tank out there, can burn it for 12 hours maybe a lil more depending........... its a bit bulky and nice to have the room so you can stay away from the sucker cause it gets HOT lol ............. what ive always heard is the smaller ones like the cats dont give off enough heat when its brutal cold out there, and the buddy type. maybe most common seem to do the job but they do go thru the gas bottles. I know you can get a valve to fill small bottles from a BBQ tank type but far as i know you cant get one here in canda but you can in the states or you can get a hole so you can run the buddy off a bigger tank but now the cost is starting to add up. i think i bought my heater for like 25 bucks in the summer time lol and the tank was 35 bucks i think so 5 bucks and ive used it now for about 5 or 6 years . and i deal with its faults but love the good side of it thats good heat on a cold day lol. hope this helps and im sure others will add to it

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:30 pm 
Walleye Angler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UmN94qQsI

Not my video. But the only thing i can find at the moment.
THis is what i use, puts out some good heat.
If you look on kijiji you see the odd one. I found a few at yard sales this past year.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:41 pm 
Walleye

Coleman Blackcat all the way. You can also cook an awsome gril cheese on them. :wink:

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:14 pm 
Walleye Master

I've had 2 of the smaller ones, not sure what make or model, but they didn't really do the job. I found my Coleman lantern that I was using for light threw off more heat. I purchased Mr. Heater Portable Buddy and haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on it, but it's 4000-9000BTU Heats up to 200sq/f Provides up to 6 hours on a 1 pound bottle. Has "Low oxygen" safety shut-off, tip over shut off. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow morning.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:56 pm 
Walleye Fry

I have both the Little Buddy and the Coleman that paro showed you. They both work very well, although the advantge to using the Little buddy is that it has a CO2 shut off if there is too much carbon monoxide in your area, it will automatically shut off. The coleman doesn't but will last all day "pluss" on a tank of fuel, the Little Buddy, 2 green cylinders "pluss" for a day $$$$$$. Unless you but the adapter and tank $$$$$$$

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:09 pm 
Walleye

I use a 9000 BTU single burner the one that comes with a small bottle and plastic base, trash the bottle and base
The burner has 3 holes on the sides so I use threaded rod (1' lengths) and bolt it in like a tripod stand, attach the adapter hose with a 5 lb tank and it heats up my Nanook nicely plus doubles as a cook burner for warming chilli, soup or what ever your fansy is

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:15 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

The buddy heaters actually have a low oxygen shut off. Quite different than a CO shut off.
Personally I wouldn't trust my life to hoping the heater shuts off because of low oxygen.
The best thing is to keep door, window or vents cracked a bit and if you really want to be safe get a CO detector.

FISH HUNTER

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:59 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Buddy,

The heater with the best output are the those that screw right onto your BBQ propane tank. These heater glow red and give off heat like a flame thrower. A few years back, I was enjoying some ice fishing off Sherman's point, when all of a sudden my fishing partners $300 gortex camo pants caught fire. After I got the fire out, we had people come visit us to see if we were ok. The fire happen just before dark and boy it really lit up the area. Well, I can tell you my buddy was not happy with every visitor laughing at his misfortune.

Actually, I recommend the Little Buddy heater.

My buddy never used that flame throwing heater again. Be safe.

BATMAN 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:55 pm 
Walleye Fry

Sorry,
I stand corrected it`s not a co2 detector. It is a low oxygen shut off, carbon monoxide eats up oxygen causing low oxygen. In turn this causes the unit to shut off. I agree I still don`t trust it and keep air circulating in my tent.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 am 
Walleye

I like my tank top coleman 9 000 - 14 000 btu and 5 lb tank, i have a 2 man flip type shelter and i would say it needs a heater in 5 - 10 000 btu range, my buddy has a suitcase shelter with a portable buddy and it's fine. and i've been in the pop up shelters with no floor and find they need a big heater.

the best 20 bucks i've spent is on the mac coupler adapter to fill the green propane bottles for my lantern and cook stove and my friends heater. i can even fill a few of them from my 5 lb tank

here's a link.

http://maccoupler.com/

got mine from love to fish lake simcoe in belle ewart (west side of simcoe just north of cooks bay) (705) 456-8745

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:38 pm 
Perch

Thanks for all the help guys! "Walleye 9" have you had a chance to try out your new Mr. Heater?

- i have been considering the type that attach to the 20lb but have the steel bracket to allow cooking when hooked to a hose. The thing that has me leaning towards the Mr.heater is the size and when you bump into the tank top style, they can really do some damage to clothes and/or hut.

decisions, decisions... LOL

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:03 pm 
Walleye Master

Fish on wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys! "Walleye 9" have you had a chance to try out your new Mr. Heater?

- i have been considering the type that attach to the 20lb but have the steel bracket to allow cooking when hooked to a hose. The thing that has me leaning towards the Mr.heater is the size and when you bump into the tank top style, they can really do some damage to clothes and/or hut.

decisions, decisions... LOL

I haven't tried it yet, but if it does what it says it's going to do (4000-9000btu, heats up to 200 sq/f) it should be fine for my 3 man shelter. 6'x6' May still have to wear a sweater, but it's gotta be better than those little 3000btu burners. And fairly safe. From what I read, they may be a bit hard on propane (3-6 hours on 1 pound bottle) I used to heat my garage with the ones that attach to a 20 pound tank. That may be pushing it a bit for an ice hut. I'll be trying it this weekend, and I'll let you know.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:50 pm 
Walleye Master

Tried it out on Saturday, and I was pretty impressed. It wasn't that cold out, maybe around -1, but it was pretty windy, and the wind was blowing up from underneath the hut. Had it on low most of the time just to keep the chill out of the air. Could really see the difference when you stepped outside.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:42 pm 
Perch

Walleye 9 wrote:
Tried it out on Saturday, and I was pretty impressed. It wasn't that cold out, maybe around -1, but it was pretty windy, and the wind was blowing up from underneath the hut. Had it on low most of the time just to keep the chill out of the air. Could really see the difference when you stepped outside.

Good to hear because I just picked one up on Friday. Haven't used it in the hut yet but seemed to work alright in the garage.

banner ad
banner ad