banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

I was wondering if there were any restriction on calibers in the quinte area because I am about to purchase my first gun from Canadian Tire. The gun is a Mosin Nagant and the ammo it fire is a 7.62x54r. I know its not the greatest of guns but im only 15 and I don't have a lot of money. Would this gun be legal to use here? I would like to know before I purchase it.

Thanks in advance,
Hutch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:29 pm 
Walleye

I believe .277 or 270 is the largest calibre that can be used south of the French River

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 pm 
Walleye Master

what are you looking to use this gun for? go to cheshers outdoors in belleville and look at the rifles they have. they have some really good prices on some really nice guns

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:25 pm 
Walleye Angler

-Dave- wrote:
what are you looking to use this gun for? go to cheshers outdoors in belleville and look at the rifles they have. they have some really good prices on some really nice guns

Dave

Coyotes for now and possibly larger game later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:18 pm 
Walleye Master

i guess id look at a 243. flat shooter not to heavy for yotes buy just heavy enough to do in a deer. if your looking for a gun to hunt both

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:21 pm 
Walleye

Agree Griz perfect choice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:33 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

This is actually a pretty decent calibre. Very similar to the 308 and with the right reload is pretty close to a 30-06.
It is legal to use in most areas except where by-laws have calibre restrictions. You best bet would be to read the regs or contact the municipality where you would plan on using it.
The only concern I would have is cartridge availability. If you're planning on reloading than its a non-issue but I'd check around if you'll be buying them. Since it is so close to the 308 you may be better off trying to find one of them instead. Since they are so common you can get ammunition almost anywhere and are very reasonably priced too.
Good luck with whatever you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

FISH HUNTER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:12 pm 
Walleye

-Dave- wrote:

Dave

Cheshers will even let you make payments on it too. They keep the gun in the back until it is paid for. Atleast they did with my son's 270 a couple years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:43 am 
Walleye Fry

.270 and under for coyotes. not many areas below 7 that you can rifle hunt for deer. I have a .243 and .270. both great calibres for coyotes. personally like .270 for deer as it is a little more forgiving with a misplaced shot on a deer. all i mean by this if the deer happens to take a step or something when u shoot and you hit a shoulder a .270 will push through the shoulder better. but you really cant go wrong with either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:58 am 
Walleye Master

From the book:
"A person hunting small game may not carry or use a rifle of greater calibre than a .275-calibre rifle, except a muzzle-loading gun, in the geograhic areas of of Brant, Chatham-Kent, Durham, Elgin, Essex, Haldimand, Halton, Hamilton, Huron, Lambton, Middlesex, Niagara, Norfolk, Northumberland, Oxford, Peel, Perth, Toronto, Waterloo, Wellington or York."

When I used to live in Northumberland, I bought a .270 to hunt coyotes and still be enough for moose, but I always wondered if I could have bought a 7mm Mag. as 7mm is 0.2756" which theoretically rounds up to 0.276" but 3 decimal places is 0.275". I would have prefered the latter, but then again I have killed 2 bull moose with the .270.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:30 am 
Guppy

The ministry uses a barrel rod of which is .277 diameter, Basically if it goes in the muzzle it's illegal, south of #7 hwy. I currently use a mdl 70, 270 or a 223. Unless things of changed that is!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:15 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Sorry my bad, I meant legal as a deer gun not coyote.
If you can only afford one gun at this point I'd suggest either a .270 or .243, both are more than adequate for deer and coyotes.

FISH HUNTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:02 am 
Walleye Master

If you are thinking of larger game as in moose, elk and bear, the .270 cal. is as small as you should go. This will also allow you to hunt coyote in Northumberland. If you will be hunting where there are no caliber restrictions, nothing wrong with the 7.62 (.300 cal.) for any big game in Ontario, but as Fish Hunter said, ammo may be hard to find. Stock up on it if you get that gun.
For a heads up, watch the regulations for coyote hunting with that rifle when other big game seasons are open as well. You need open season tags for them even while coyote hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:17 am 
Walleye Angler

Im kinda in between brighton and trenton area 71 would that be northumberland? When i was at canadian tire looking at the rifle they said that they did sell the ammo there and it was quite cheap so i will stock up. I don't hunt coyotes during deer season cuz im hunting deer so i should be good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:43 pm 
Walleye Master

Trenton to Brighton is Northumberland County and you can't use a 7.62mm gun in Northumberland for small game and coyotes. The Northumberland\Hastings east boundary is about 1 km east of the Stockdale Road. Not sure of the west boundary. Plus there's no deer rifle season in WMU 71, shotgun\muzzleloaders\bows only. You can only hunt bear with the 7.62mm.

I was in the same position 25 years ago and I went with a .270 for a one off, shoot everything gun because of that. I still use it today for coyote and moose. If you want, call the county about a 7mm. Like I said earlier, it is borderline restricted and you might find an older (cheaper) one if it is legal. Again though, stock up on ammo if you find one.