Resorts
Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sail Superstore
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:07 am 
Walleye Angler

Not to mention.... Sail just laid off a bunch of FT employee's already.... what a great way to say "Thank You" for all their hard work with preping, building, stocking, and selling for their "grand" opening. Typical "big box" store, they only care about the $$, don't give a crap about their employees.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:41 am 
Walleye Master

Right on Stoty i agree with you on the Big Box store's. They come on like gang busters and when they succeed in bankrupting all the little guys that have supported us for years they fizzle out or just quit stocking many items. A prime example of what i mean is Wallmart Belleville. They used to have quite the sports section and they were getting allot of sales and support from the local community and the other guys lost allot of business because of them. Now look at there so called sporting section What A Joke but they succeeded in hurting the smaller local guy's. I am a very firm believer in supporting guys that support me, you was my back and i was yours . You wont catch places like Sail etc opening up at 5:00 am to sell you minnows or go out of there way to really help you with anything out of there normal day to day routine. Big Box is all about dollars and profit and are loyal to none and i myself would sooner support my local shops and help them to grow within my local community as it is a win win situation for us all. I also like to be able to walk into a local shop and feel welcome by the owners and to be treated as a friend and valued customer and not have to drive for miles and miles just to get the cold shoulder...My 2 cents and were my loyalty lies.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:57 am 
Walleye Master

Sucks to see people lose their jobs, but alot of the bigger companies will "over hire" so they can weed out the bad ones. I was at Sail Oshawa the first weekend it opened. I was upstairs in the fishing section, and there was like 7-10 guys who worked there, all standing around the counter shootin the s**t. Nobody would move till the manager came over and gave them a blast. Quite funny actually. These maybe the guys who lost their jobs!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:18 am 
Walleye Master

Another here for the local guys. I always found by the time I spent my gas to get to the big box stores and went out for lunch etc., it ended up costing me more than just getting it down the road anyway.

Post subject: Sail Superstore
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:00 pm 
Walleye Angler

Lebaron by far has the best prices..not to mention their 10% off membership card. They often have random store wide sales. Don't have the selection BPS has but I still only ever end up needing one or two things twice a year, that lebaron doesn't have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:12 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Stoty wrote:
Not to mention.... Sail just laid off a bunch of FT employee's already.... what a great way to say "Thank You" for all their hard work with preping, building, stocking, and selling for their "grand" opening. Typical "big box" store, they only care about the $$, don't give a crap about their employees.

Were those employees paid for their time or did they work for free? I think its about time a business like Sail risked untold dollars to bring a store like that to a community with an immediate population of 500,000 that needed one. And it flies the Red Maple Leaf to boot.

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:29 pm 
Minnow

oshawa didnt need a store like that!... and gagnons will match there prices no problem!..who buys a 500. doller pup tent?...bet it will be gone in a year...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:35 pm 
Walleye

gagnons all the way been going there since i started fishing.The guys are helpful always and they have what iam looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:01 pm 
Walleye

my buddy went to sail just after it opened... they do have a very nice flyfishing dept, and he and i both are avid. fly fishers.. however the person working there at that particular time had no idea as to what he was talking about, and offered to show a fella looking at a 13' spey fly rod, how to cast it... now a spey rod for some here who may not know, is a long two handed fly line casting rod.. in which the traditional back and forth motion of a reg fly rod is NOT used... but rather it is a series of lifting and making huge roll casts on the waters surface..this is called called spey casting and is very popular in europe and western north america on large rivers where long distance casts are needed.. my buddy took the man aside after the kid was done and explained what kind of rod he was being shown and the right way it should be used.... he thanked my buddy and shook his head at the store employee's knowledge..... this in most cases is why we buy at the smaller outlets because usually the people working there are older retired folks with yrs of experience in the out doors
or people with good knowledge in not one but many areas of the outdoors...
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUY whenever possible....i love a trip to bass pro just to wander and see so many displays of items that the small guy cannot carry... but my loyalty is to in oshawa gagnons, or tight lines in pickering...get to know the staff, and you will always be well looked after.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Gagnons Sports is without a doubt the BEST outfitter in durham region, i have been dealing there for over 25 Years,
they will give you good prices , advise , correct advise , they are fishermen and hunters,and have been doing it for Decades,
they have or can get most everything you need, in a friendly atmosphere!!!!!!!!

HANDS DOWN

Ed

Canadian Tire and Walmart do carry a small but descent selection of gear and tackle, but not like Gagnons ...Yet

email:ed_mackenzie_2009@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:06 pm 
Walleye Master

nice thread. its cool to see the many oppinions and how they very, used to pass two gander mountin stores on my trips up to canada and i would stop at both and my reason was they often toss out bargin bins with huge dollar savings. other thhen that its like some have said its the almighty dollare and i find some things quite high in price, EXPESSALLY if its in the height of the season i guess its like they say best to buy a boat in winter so a snow sled in summer if your looking for that great deal. i think they are always worth stopping in when your passing buy cause you never know what deals yer gonna find poking around in the sorners or discound bins. this being said i think like Adventurer in if you need it now closest place is usually where to go cause making special trips factor in time and gas the already high price just got higher lol.......... honistly i myself like to spread my money around and give them all a little buisness when and if i can, a lure from this guys a dozen minnows from this guy, just to keep a small guy in buisness .. I THINK A BOX STORE WOULD LOVE ALL the buisness and crush there competetors, and i hinistly believe the last thing a small town tackle shop wants to do is put the small town guy 3 miles or 12 miles away out of buisness, they would be happy with a small piece of the pie and leave some for the other guy.............. ok as i said, cool thread. just my 2 cents input!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

Chris's Live Bait in Marmora is my favourite spot! I have and do shop at all of them. I generally buy odd stuff so who has it in stock gets my $.
Grillzy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:32 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Anyone like a piece of Cheeeze to go along with that Whine? I have and will still shop at Gagnons and its' definitely not for their fair pricing. The simple fact is that other than Gagnons, Tightline's and LeBaron there isn't anyone else within a reasonable driving distance for 500,000+ people. Competition is a win win for everyone involved including Gagnons and the like but especially for the consumer and therefore bashing the store, help, product variance and selection is a weak argument. Gagnons has been around for a long time and should continue to be for the foreseeable future. Sail just gives folks another option and that Shouldn't be a bad thing. Is it?

ps. Bring on Gander Mountain and Cabela's!!

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Another simple fact is, as it stands there is still a way better selection in the GTA than around Quinte. I agree, I'd like to see Cabelas and Gander Mountain in the GTA as well. Maybe that would put all the big stores in their place and make it worth the trip there. But then it probably wouldn't make dollars and sense for them to do that. Maybe a Cabelas in the Quinte area...

But as I choose to live in the Quinte area, I will thank the guys that are around here with my business for being there when I need them and helping out everyway they can. I'll skip the cheeeze and wine and have a rum with you instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:39 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Yes , large or small we certainly need them all. Cheers.

Ass Monkey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next