Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sail Superstore
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm 
Walleye Master

Not to hijack the thread but anyone else hear rumours of bps coming to kingston?

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:41 am 
Walleye Master

adventure, I visited the Cabela's in Winnipeg it was very disappointing. Small poor selection and very high end on the pricing as far as I am concerned. Unless a better effort was put into another Canada side store, you'd be better off sticking to ordering on-line.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad
 Post subject: Sail Superstore
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:04 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Stoty wrote:
Not to mention.... Sail just laid off a bunch of FT employee's already.... what a great way to say "Thank You" for all their hard work with preping, building, stocking, and selling for their "grand" opening. Typical "big box" store, they only care about the $$, don't give a crap about their employees.

I thought I saw you there working ? Did you get laid off ? If so hope you find something soon. It's always good to have an insiders view of a place.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 am 
Walleye Angler

Yup, I WAS working there....
It's not what you know these days, its who ya know...right?

Last edited by Stoty on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
 Post subject: Sail Superstore
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:32 am 
Walleye Angler

That's for sure Stotty!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:30 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

I was at the Sail store in Oshawa. Thought it had a decent selection of fishing lures, rods and reels at reasonable prices. LeBaron's and Sail had the reel I wanted at the same price, but Sail had the 15% off at the time so I bought there. BPS is getting worse and worse. Their selection is amazing, but their prices are getting beat by other stores' regular prices. BPS is only good if they have a sale or they are the only ones carrying what you want.

I shop at all the stores, Gagnons, Quinte, Lebaron, Gander etc. Sail had the worst customer service. I was holding 2 reels in my hand looking to buy, and I thought I was invisible. Guy walked right by me, not saying a word. If it was not completly out of the way to go back to Lebarons, I would have and spent the extra money.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:23 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I found it more for hikers and campers. They do have a good gun selection and prices are good on firearms. I found their fishing gear was very limited especially ice fishing gear. I went to gagnons and got all of the stuff I was lookig for. I still find that the specialty shops and pro shops will have better selections and treat you better. IMHO

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:07 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Great thread.....

I'll support the local guys as much as I can.... In the last week I've been to Sail, BPS, Lebaron, Gangons and even Walmart... I'm looking for products that meet my unique need, at a reasonable price (Price matters, I'm not rich), along with great customer service when I need a helping hand... Here's MY opinion of each...

Gagnons - Solid selection, Great with CS, terrible pricing (Will they match price? If so, just change the price in the first place). 7/10
Lebaron - Crappy selection, Great pricing, Terrible CS. 6/10
BP - Great selection, OK pricing, the WORST CS. 6/10
Sail (So far) - Excellent selection, Great Prices, CS great so far. 8/10
Tightlines - Excellent Selection, Terrible Prices, Amazing CS. 7/10

Cheers, Hodgey...

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

BPS is supposedly the very large American Sporting Goods retailer that is planning on coming to Kingston. They are apparently looking to set up next to Lowe's, but the Springer family who own's the property has to put a petition to Kingston City council. Apparently a deal was made with Lowe's that no one would be allowed to develop the property next to the store for 5 years. Well....it hasn't been 5 years, and now someone wants the property. It is purely speculation that it is BPS, but one can hope! The strongest rumour is that it is BPS, but I supposed it could be Dick's, Gander or ????

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Folks that live in the quinte area have it good, with several shops to choose from and the competition keeps prices reasonable and improves customer service. There is NO competition in the Kingston area, and as a result prices are significantly higher. Many items are 25% cheaper in Belleville than Kingston. Most of the small independants north of Kingston city carry only the basic essentials and bait. I think because of their close location to the back lakes they will still do well, as folks are already going elsewhere for their bigger purchases.
As a consumer I think the more competition the better. The market is only so big so eventually it can only improve the selection, price and customer service we recieve. Myself, if i can get what I want at a decent price and with good customer service locally I'm not going to travel hours to shop someplace else.
Hopefully it wouldn't impact the Quinte market too much, you have a good thing going.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:53 pm 
Walleye Master

Hodgey wrote:
Great thread.....

I'll support the local guys as much as I can.... In the last week I've been to Sail, BPS, Lebaron, Gangons and even Walmart... I'm looking for products that meet my unique need, at a reasonable price (Price matters, I'm not rich), along with great customer service when I need a helping hand... Here's MY opinion of each...

Gagnons - Solid selection, Great with CS, terrible pricing (Will they match price? If so, just change the price in the first place). 7/10
Lebaron - Crappy selection, Great pricing, Terrible CS. 6/10
BP - Great selection, OK pricing, the WORST CS. 6/10
Sail (So far) - Excellent selection, Great Prices, CS great so far. 8/10
Tightlines - Excellent Selection, Terrible Prices, Amazing CS. 7/10

Cheers, Hodgey...

Pretty much agree with everything you listed Hodgey, other than Lebaron's which I've never been to. For all the guys that fear or hate the big name stores, there's nothing wrong with a little competition. Like you mentioned, price does matter!!! As far as customer service goes, unless you're buying something expensive like electronics, I'm sure most guys on here don't really need help when it comes to buying lures, line, hooks etc. Nothing wrong with polite staff though.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

WalleyeWonder wrote:
Would cripple the local tackle shops though IMO, but Im sure I would be guilty of going there for the deals too....

There are NO local tackle shops in Kingston. Canadian tire is the only place and has THE MOST ridiculous prices and the customer service is beyond subpar. Walk in on any given day to find NOBODY in the fishing department and if there is, you seem to be inconveniencing them from stocking or pricing the shelves during key selling hours.

I refuse to give them my business unless I'm in an absolute pinch.

Gagnon's is a great family run store with great prices and selection IMO. Saying that, its 2 hrs away. I hope the rumour is true because the people of Kingston deserve something more than the gauging local CTC.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree chris, although I love to give stacy my business at pro tackle the reallity is it just doesn't make sense to drive to belleville from kingston for lures. That said I pretty much buy the absolute minimum from ctc because they are a huge rip off. A friend recently bought a line counter reel from gander that is 59.99 reg price and its on the shelf for 109.99 at ctc. And the offshore boards are 10-20 more than stacy sells them for. They are taking advantage of no competition and it will kill them once there is another store here.

Can't believe there isn't any local independents here. I'd think it would be a good market given the amount of stellar fishing within 1hr of here.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 am 
Walleye Angler

BPS, Cabela's is not coming to Kingston, the population here is way too small and they don't need to build here as long as we buy online and drive 2 hours to shop, why would they spend the $ in such a small market? In the Canadian market big box stores that come from the States have a distinct criteria to follow and a lot of it is based on market share in a certain area vs. population. Toronto can easily support multiple big box speciality stores as well the local mom and pop outfits too.

Now SAIL could probably make it work, based on their outdoors section with all the camping, canoeing etc. in this area they would probably be able fill a niche in multiple area's. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

In some locales in the State's, they tailor the store size to reflect the market size, that could work here too and that would be pretty cool. Harrisburg PA for example has a BPS that is not as big as some other locations, while Cabela's in Hamburg PA is huge. Cabela's in Scarborough Maine though is a lot smaller than other stores, due to the smaller population base.

At the end of the day, I will support the local guy whenever I can like Pro Advantage, Quinte Outdoor Sports, Pro Tackle and even with a bit of a drive, Paddletales and Gagnon's... Having said that I still shop at the big box stores for certain things, usually only for a sale item or something I need asap and just can't get anywhere else.

It sure would be nice to have the luxury of a big box store in our backyard, but I'm not holding my breath :)

Just my 2 cents...

Colin Friel

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 pm 
Perch

I found that if you get the right person at BP the CS is great. I have recently dealt with Mike B/P? in the fishing dept. and he went above and beyond to help me out.

Competition is great and I find I always shop everywhere for different things that others may not have.

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
banner ad