Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

Ok, here we go....

took a drive after an assignment this afternoon just to see the sites....went east on on 49, down past hayward long reach (sherman's i think to you guys on the other side of the water) and ended up on Big Island.

the big news is there were guys fishing just to the west of Baycrest Marina on big Island and i've got pics to prove it. there were three guys fishing and another casually walking off the ice and i waited for him to get a report.
It was a group from Kingsville renting a cottage. He told me that there was four inches of ice easy out there and there was an inch and a half of slushy water on top of that. they were hoping the cold snap was going to freeze that, but he said they had not rouble getting out...they did drill every 100 feet or so to keep checking and they did have ropes, but there was 4 inches the whole way....they had been fishing farter east on about three inches, but someone told them to move west and it would be safer.

as for the fishing, couple of real good tugs, some nibbles but nothing iced.

I'm really hoping we don't geta lot of snow and the cold snap this weekend does it's thing...if the info he gave me is accurate and the snow stays away, we could have 8 inches by Sunday night...

for those wondering about Long Reach, there was ice from Picton bay all the way to the mouth and open under the bridge and points west....You started to see ice about 2 km west of the bridge.

All ice whereever i drove looked grey with the exception of some dark spots here and there. not sure if that was thinner ice or black ice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:06 pm 
Walleye Master

thin ice bud, i still wouldnt advise people to go out just yet. and if you do go out spud your way out not drill every hundred feet ice can change from an inch to 4 inched in a stride. be safe, and same me some fish for when i get home from ottawa

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:20 pm 
Walleye

Good feedback, Parksy.

I also have photo's from today, and I couldn't believe it. There were three BRAVE (dumb) anglers out at the mouth of the Trent River this afternoon, very close to the first set of channel markers. I have pictures of three open water area's in close proximity to them. They can say what they want, but, they were certainly gambling for a measly walleye.

With all this extremely warm weather recently, it still amazes me how guys will venture out on "safe to them" ice.

Hang on guys, better temps are coming ................

Pepe

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:36 pm 
Walleye Master

exactly. Safe to them. and anyone who has gone thru pretty much figured it was safe because thats why they went out there,,,,,,,,, im sure 90% of the deaths thought they were safe if only you could ask them..... bottom line thin ice when its -20 super black and clear is really quite safe 3 inches or more,,, but warm soft, gray ice becomes pretty unsafe and totally unpredictable when its 5 inches thick..... its soft and the cracks arnt bound together so a crack we freely walk on past or by when its cold can become the death of some poor fool who dont know the ice ....... all for a stupid fish hey you cant cure stupid!

Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks Pepe,

And Dave, I don't think the point of my post was to encourage guys to get up and go fishing tomorrow morning, it was to let everyone know that there is a base out there. we all know that it's unsafe right now and there was some very, very dangerous areas. Also, there are obviously some safe areas that are holding people.

I'm jazzed about the prospects of getting out there either Sunday or monday after this cold snap. I'm staying positive....

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:52 pm 
Walleye Master

Atta Boy Parksy never say die. I got me the fever so bad the Floater Suit, Flasher and all gear are ready to go in an instant. I bet i could hit the Ice faster than a Fire truck to a fire. I just wish had a grenade so i could whip it out on the Ice and just run to the hole..

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:00 am 
Walleye

just curious if the warm weather that is killing the ice fishing season this year is going to affect the spawning and
opener of the walleye season in may,usually the temperatures have an affect one way or the other.would like to hear
what you guys think will become of the 2012 season from this miserable ice season warm weather.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 am 
Site Admin

What I heard earlier regarding the weather outlook for this winter is that it would be late arriving and late leaving. If true that would mean a late spawn. Of course the crystal ball tells all and I dont have one :roll:

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 am 
Walleye Master

i know bud, just theres some ppl that look at this site that arnt lets say, the brightest lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:47 am 
Walleye Angler

good point.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:37 am 
Walleye

Moira has 9"s guys, not the best of fishing but beats taking a chance on 4"s good to get the rust out till Quinte gets a good freeze. Over night lows are-double digits for the next 3 days...should help a bit!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:27 pm 
Walleye Master

here in ottawa tomarrows hi is suppose to be -18, thats what we need back home

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:32 pm 
Walleye Angler

-12 sat, -9 sun for highs...hoping this tightens things up for a while!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:28 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Look at it this way, because the majority of us arent on the ice.... less fish are being taken and the more fish to complete their spawning ritual. lol :wink:
Also like Dan says, dependant upon the type of spring weather we get too.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:14 pm 
Minnow

any word on hecamer ice

banner ad
banner ad