Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fishing Jan 15
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:03 am 
Walleye Fry

I was out on Sunday and I went to Potter's, there were a lot of people there so I took a drive up the road to another spot. When I got there there was no one around, or so I thought. I came around the corner the Fire Department was there , I thought someone went through the ice but they were doing there ice rescue training.

The Captain said I was welcome to stick around and observe, maybe learn a thing or two. It was a real eye opener, they cut a square inthe ice about 5'X5'. The more experienced guy's demonstrated what happens when you fall in, and how to get out with and without spikes and made it look easy. It was when some of the new guy's went in and tried to get out that you got the message, shock and confusion, ice was wet on top, broken ice all around you, spikes not gripping the ice that well, and trying to pull themselves out. That was with the proper clothing and the Fire Department there to help, imagine just two people in improper clothing!

Good learning experience, but the fishing was crap !!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Fishing Jan 15
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:12 am 
Walleye Angler

wow! thanks for posting that! something you don't often get to see!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:25 am 
Walleye Master

cool beans, thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 am 
Walleye Fry

I never see my spelling mistakes before I submit the post !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:11 am 
Walleye Master

Very cool post. Great pictures.

I know they need to practice and I'm sure they have a proper procedure when they leave, but I wonder what they do to mark the 5x5 hole. I doubt there is anyone on the ice with a sled yet, but a 5x5 hole would be a people eater for sure.

Like I said, I'm not slagging them. I appreciate the life commitment they have made to risk their lives for mine and my family etc. Just curious how they mark it.

Scott

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 am 
Walleye Master

Very good point Scott. When i used to train on Scugog we had an old brace and bit style drill that you crank like an ice auger. We would bore holes and install 4 foot high dowels and then two lines of 4 inch wide reflector tape. We also placed a sign on the shoreline telling the hole size and that there was a training mission at that spot with the date and ice thickness. The reason for the sign was to inform people so they would not just walk out to see what the tape was there for. I have seen rescue training here that only left behind a few small red flags that would prob not be seen until you were right on top of them. I would hope that they mark there hole well to avoid having to return to that spot for real. It is quite the experience going in when training and i would recommend to all you guys that ice fish to contact you local Fire Dept and ask about attending one of there training exercises. I know we would put an notice in the local paper telling the time and location of our training and invited people to observe and learn.... Fred... PS Yonder mentioned about there Picks not gripping. Most store bought Picks are garbo in my opinion that is why i machine my own styled like the ones used by Georgian Bay Ice Rescue Squad....I Posted some pictures of them in one of my posts. " Been Busy ON The Lathe " They Grip....

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:28 am 
Walleye Fry

Yes the "hole", the Captain said I could fish from it once they left. I said what are you crazy if any anglers saw me fishing out of this I'd be wearing cement shoes at the bottom of it. Before they left they cordoned off the hole and put up some tree branches around it with red emergency tape around the hole thing. They did a good job, and I respect the job they do protecting us !!!!!!

" You should have heard some of the stories he told me".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:39 am 
Walleye Master

Yea they usually always mark them good Younder. It is nice to know that there are trained guys out there ready to risk there neck to save you... Thanks for your post on this and if you ever see them out with the dogs it is very cool. Dogs trained to creep out to you with a rescue line. Coast Guard Canada use them and i have seen them in action, they are so smart and very well trained...

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:37 pm 
Walleye

Great post but there is more danger from the idiots that cut a man hole to fish from.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:06 pm 
Walleye Master

I agree Jimdog!!! Guys that spud a 20" hole isn't good. The guy that posts on this forum with the kayak would be in heaven with the firefighters hole though!!! 8) 8)

Post subject: Fishing Jan 15
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Almost like fishing north of 7 when the locals idea of an ice auger is a stihl chainsaw .... Welcome to Bancroft :-)

banner ad