Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:31 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hate to do this.....but
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 am 
Walleye Master

Hey guys, I have 2 cottages rented this weekend at Baycrest Lodge, with 12-14 guys coming with me. I really would appreciate an ice report. (Big Island) I spoke with the person at Baycrest yesterday, and the best answer they could give me was that there are guys on the ice. :roll: No measurements of ice or anything else. :x The guys are asking me if they can bring sleds and ATV's but I have no answer for them. I don't want them to go through the trouble of trailering machines down if we can't use them. I don't even know if we're going able to fish!!! I don't live there, so this is the only place where I might be able to get an ice report.

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 am 
Guppy

Call the bait shops Thursday for updates.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:41 am 
Walleye Master

ROB wrote:
Call the bait shops Thursday for updates.

Any certain one that may be in that area that I should call??? I know of a few on the Bay, but they're not really close to there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:04 am 
Walleye Angler

I was fishing Wagers, not that far from Baycrest on Saturday. We measured 8 inches of ice although is was a little slushy at shore. Considering Sunday's cold weather and the fact that after this stupid Mopndayrain its supposed to be negative double digits tuesday, wednesday, and minus 9 on Thursday with no warm ups above 0 for the rest of the week, I think they would be fine bringing their atvs. I think there would be a foot of ice by the weekend.
It's a judgment call based on weather forecasts, but I'd tell them to go for it.....

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pag ... ric_e.html

And, yeah, unless planet earth is hit by a meteor between now and the weekend, you will be fishing this weekend...It would take that to keep me off the ice.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 pm 
Walleye Master

from bay crest you only have to walk out 600 yars or less and your in good fishing saying that do you really need the machines?? you make the call .......... id save gas and spend that money on beer and eats all a machine will do is keep you running around and doing alot less fishing hot bite is first hour, and the last hour of the day but that could change on any given day Big Bay is always the safest ice around so you made a great choice in picking that area to stay, no mater what happens you will be fishing on the weekend

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:29 pm 
Walleye

Where can we access the ice from there, was gonna go to huffs but thinking of going somewhere safer

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:56 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks for the responses guys. The only reason I was wondering about the sleds was cause the guy from the lodge told me his huts will be out 1 mile. I've got some older fellas coming and they don't want to walk that far. I don't really care about myself, but I want to show the boys a good time.

Oh , Grizz.... beer money was already in the budget :lol: :lol: :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'll say this, the farther you go out, the thinner the ice will be. I never get that far , so I'm not going to say it's safe that far out...One mile!?! I don't, that seems way out there. We fished about 600 m out on Saturday...

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:51 pm 
Walleye Master

yah i dont think you would be a mile out lolim sticking to 600 yards tops. usually i fish only 400 yards out and do well just off the marina you would do better to just go out 300 yards and you will be in great fishing there is alot of bottom change right in front of the marina so id start only 200 yards off shore and drill holes every 50 yards and start working that area . most dont go there because its a long walk from the parking but your right at the marina that makes it ALOT less walking from where your going out

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:57 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Anyone got a report at huffs?

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 pm 
Jumbo Perch

Hye grizz you seem to know the area well I don't thinking of trying it tomorrow you mentioned the marina where is that exactly and is there any where to get minnows nearby . I am traveling from cobourg east of bellville thanks Jim.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:21 pm 
Walleye Master

the marina is on north big island road you can google or map quest it also there is a shop called bulpits in demorestville that sells minnows they trap so its the cheapest price around its not far from big island giving directions is really hard to do cause i dont know what way you will go to get on the island but i will assume you will take the 401 to deseronto exit head south across the sky bridge just on the other side you would take a right to northport or big island. afte you pass northport you should see a blue sign that looks like a fish on your left side that is a pasture fence post go left then a right follow signs to bulpits and get minnow there she is open around 6;30 they live right there . i hope that helps buddy

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:04 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Huffs and deseronto have open water as of this morning from what im told.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/trophywalleye
Twitter: @pbandjcharters

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 pm 
Walleye

Maverick wrote:
Huffs and deseronto have open water as of this morning from what im told.
:x :cry: and more warm weather coming mon and tues!!! :x these el-nino years suck!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:55 pm 
Perch

I have fished out of Baycrest over 40 years--( however never in winter) from what I hear on this site the middle ice is not safe, my advice fish a shoal called "hogsback" located about 200 yards west of the marina,extends about 1/2 mile from the shore-- great walleye there in spring and fall good luck and be careful!!!!

banner ad
banner ad