banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Walleye Migration
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:19 pm 
Walleye Master

Was just looking at a map of the Kawartha Lakes, and seeing as Rice Lake connects into BOQ through the Trent Severn Waterway (Hastings, Campellford, Frankford,Trenton) would the female Walleye migrate into Quinte via this waterway, or do they stay in Rice Lake?? I don't even know if it's possible for them to get through?? I know Quinte Eyes end up in Lake O post spawn, but what about inland lakes?? Do they migrate, or stay where they are??

Post subject: Re: Walleye Migration
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:19 pm 
Walleye Catcher

They are blocked by the locks/dam in Hastings. This is where Rice starts. Pretty much the same for all the lakes. Every river i know of is dammed by no less than 10 dams.

I guess if they walleye timed it right, and were patient enough, they could creep through the locks throughout the summer.... all 50+ of them :) but that would be one dedicated fish with alot of time on its hands.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:42 am 
Walleye Master

Some lock/dam system's have fish ladders, but i believe the trent doesn't have these, as i know there is several section's that don't have walleye.
i lived in glenross for a few years, caught lots of nice fish, never a walleye, asked around and was always told there wasn't very many if any in that section.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:31 pm 
Walleye Catcher

There are lots between dams at Glen Ross ... They have a derby the week after the Kiwanis derby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:45 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

You don't want to believe what your told all the time,I have caught plenty of walleye off the dam at Glen Ross ,standing on the dam fishing above the dam or fishing below the dam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:14 am 
Walleye Master

wow, i thought all guys fished of the dam for where muskie, i have seen some huge mounts that where caught of that dam.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:29 am 
Walleye Master

The hastings historical society hosts one, but i thought that was a different section of the trent.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/30805339/A- ... in-Ontario
Its a long ways down, that list has allmost every fishing event in ontario listed, even most of the events the camp grounds have, etc.
The round goby round up, sounds interesting. (out of hastings).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:29 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Fireball,I only caught 1 musky off the dam and it was only 7lbs, the only musky I have ever caught in my life.Also caught 2 sturgeon one was 62 inches and 35 lbs, the other was 70 inches and 42 lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

Rice has walleye all summer,both male and female ,seen two over six last year ,caught about eight myself in four trips ,largest were around four pounds.Lady at the bait shop told me the last few summers were the best she's seen in several years.Ministry did some work trying to improve the declining walleye fishery there,not sure if it was just a study or just what was entailed.So in summary,I'd say the females stay,some spawn at lock 19 than hang out in the channel and other areas that offer a little depth,certainly not as productive as Quinte ,nor are the fish as big ,but a its a little better than it was before.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:09 pm 
Walleye Master

littledog wrote:
Rice has walleye all summer,both male and female ,seen two over six last year ,caught about eight myself in four trips ,largest were around four pounds.Lady at the bait shop told me the last few summers were the best she's seen in several years.Ministry did some work trying to improve the declining walleye fishery there,not sure if it was just a study or just what was entailed.So in summary,I'd say the females stay,some spawn at lock 19 than hang out in the channel and other areas that offer a little depth,certainly not as productive as Quinte ,nor are the fish as big ,but a its a little better than it was before.

I fish Rice lake quite often Spring through Fall. Has always been good for me. Have seen many Walleye over 5 pounds, late fall, just before closing. My mom (lol) landed a 9 pounder a few years ago in the middle of summer between Gores Landing and Bewdley in 20 fow.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:07 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Most walleye in rice come up the ottanabe and spawn at lock 19 in Peterborough. Still an amazing fishery on rice, I'm looking forward to the opener on it next weekend.

banner ad