Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Opener Reports?
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:03 pm 
Walleye

I didn't get a chance to make it out for the opener but I'm curious to see how everyone did? Were the fish in there usual spots this year or did the weird weather throw everything out of whack?! the past three years i've fished picton area and up near mohawk bay with decent success, nothing huge. Last year though i didnt mark anything up near mohawk bay. I was wondering if that was just a fluke year or if that's gonna be about par for the course going forward! we'd always had good luck up near mohawk bay until last year.
hope everyone had a great opener!

Mike

Post subject: Re: Opener Reports?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:13 am 
Walleye Angler

Sounds like the winner came out of picton bay. The giant moon had more boats fishing the night than usual.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:58 am 
Jumbo Perch

Well we fished both Sat and Sun mornings. Sat was the Pt Ann to Hungry Bay area and managed only 2 small (2 and 3lbs) eyes. Both on bottom bouncers and worm harnesses. Sunday fished Deseronto area and nothing but perch. Went up the Napanee River along with about 200 other boats and never saw a net go over at all. Did some trolling in mohawk bay and nothing. Very tough weekend for us, think they put a feedbag on at night with the big moon. Oh well will try again soon when there's not a million boats out.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:21 am 
Perch

My report:

Left Newmarket at 2 am was in Belleville 4 30 am, at the spot at 5 am. Weather was quite bad, wind was killing me. I fished one spot pretty much in the deep of 30 fow under the bridge. Used gulp minnows – got my first walleye of soft water season – beauty of 3.5 to 4 lbs. Decided to play with bait and switched to night crawlers – got 7 lbs sheephead on the second cast. Unfortunately crazy wind didn’t allow us to stay, we left Belleville at 9 10 am. I was really wet and cold once we got to boat launch, same was my father .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Opener Reports?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:00 pm 
Guppy

Same sort of weekend for me. Fished Mohawk on Saturday, and only managed 2 fish on crawler harness.
Lots of little dink perch, Which in hind site I think the walleyed must have
Been gorged on.
Fished Sunday up and down long reach, never seen a fish or a net move.
All together, I put 57 miles on the triplog.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:26 pm 
Walleye Angler

Pretty crappy opener for me, my buddies did alright…. The whole day Saturday we were fishing the desoronto area along with the mass flotilla of brand spankin’ new boats and your grandfdather's bath tubs.
Buddy in our boat caught a mammoth sheepie that had to be close to 20lbs… the thing fought for a solid 3-4 mins, and a big laugh ensued when netted…. Why isn’t there a Drum category in the Kiwanis tourney? Enough must get caught during the derby. … just a thought.

Overall for the day we caught 5 measly eye’s amongst 3 dudes all on jigs, the largest being 19” , all caught on jigs drifting with the winds….

Did anyone else notice the green slime (algae) on your lures with every cast?!?!?!? It drove me nuts, I guess there was a bloom or something going on… does anyone think that might have something to do with the relatively poor fishing this weekend???

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:16 pm 
Minnow

Our group of 3 fished the Napanee River Saturday Morning from 6 to 1Pm, Netted 7 eyes all small eaters and one pike, Everything got thrown back to grow a bit bigger. All were caught on the slow troll with chartuse spinners tipped with worms..

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:24 pm 
Minnow

launcned in bellville around 4.30am hit our spot around 5ish 3 pike and 2 walleye biggest being 6lbs all in about 45min then it went dead for the rest of the day and was pretty windy out there so went into hiding in bays protected from the wind but didnt get another fish after the sun was coming up all in the dark.Think i would have been better goin out at midnight.Saw lots of boats but nobody catching anything.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 pm 
Walleye Angler

We fished Sunday 1pm-5pm and landed a 3lber jigging, but that was all. We noticed that the water we fishing was gin clear even at 9ft and no weeds(not normal). This was a spot that should have good weed edges. Also we saw lot's of Sheephead.

banner ad