Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Here's what the Belleville paper ahd to say about fishing in Belleville.

David aka Superdad

Belleville waters dry for anglers
By Jason Miller, The Intelligencer
Updated 11 hours ago
Belleville wasn't the place to catch a big one during the weekend staging of the Walleye World Fishing Derby.

Bad luck appeared to have tormented hundreds of anglers who accessed the Bay of Quinte through city docks such as the George Street boat ramp and weigh station.

By organizers’ estimations, no angler fishing in waterways near Belleville managed to haul in a catch bigger than 8 lbs., that's half the size of the 16 lb. pike lured in in Quinte West. By early Sunday afternoon the biggest walleye was weighing in at around 11.5 lbs.

That catch remained the largest and was reeled in by Amherstview’s Marco McRae who took home the first place prize and bragging rights.

Thousands of anglers from communities across Ontario flocked to local waterways over the weekend to participate in the annual event spearheaded by the City of Quinte West and the Trenton Kiwanis Club, in conjunction with the Kiwanis Club of Belleville.

Ed Hawman, president of the Kiwanis Club of Belleville, said the event has attracted more than 5,000 participants, over the past two years, and organizers are estimating that this year’s number will surpass that mark.

“We've seen lots of boats in and out of the water here,” he said. “No big ones out of the water here I'm afraid.”

Ted Kortun, of Oshawa, had another miserable day on the water in Belleville. By observation, he wasn't the only one drawing blanks.

“I caught nothing today and I caught nothing over the last 20 years,” he said. “I've been skunked for 20 years. I’ve never seen one person catch a fish out there.”

Despite his inability to lure a descent catch, Kortun was in good spirits about the event and overall organizing of the event in its 32nd year.

“It's fantastic,” he said.

Tony Power, of Hamilton, was also unable to catch anything worth bragging about over the weekend. He was unable to better 3 lbs. the entire weekend, which started in Trenton Saturday.

“We came to Belleville this morning hoping for a little bit better but it didn't work out that way,” he said Sunday.

Power was pleased with the quality of the facilities at the George Street ramp.

“This is a beautiful ramp these guys have here,” he said. “We go to places all over Ontario and this is one of the nicest ones around.”

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:57 pm 
Walleye

seems like we will have to head more toward the big lake for a chance at the big ones... although from other reports i have heard that good eating size fish were around...

banner ad