Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Great weekend
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:59 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Well iv'e been reading all the chatter on how the fishery is done and QUINTE IS DEAD , blaming netters and Natives , BULL , We fished the same spots that we always fish for the opener and we caught the same amount of fish we always manage , seen lots and lots of small two and three pounders brought to the scales , Yes it was a little slower than usual, that was due to the super moon and the early spawn , I would almost bet that this weekend will produce awesome catches , If the spawn is early the area from Desi to belleville is always quiet , if the spawn is late the Mohawk bay will produce tons of small males and Picton bay will produce monsters , all in all it was what to be expected , one thing i will say is that the guys that are out Fri evening running and gunning their boats all over the prime fishing areas are just driving the fish deep , Quiet and slow is the key on opening day , It was good to run into Superdad and his bride ,i guess she was giving him some lessons on catching weigh worthy fish ...LOL ,also talked to Paul Greatfull fisher good to see your recovering nicely ; Keep your lines wet ..... Bill :D

Post subject: Re: Great weekend
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 am 
Walleye Catcher

"If the spawn is early the area from Desi to belleville is always quiet , if the spawn is late the Mohawk bay will produce tons of small males and Picton bay will produce monsters"

I have never needed to go as far as Desi this time of year in 20 years fishing as a local... actually Belleville to Trident produces all year up to the turnover... except this year :o

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 am 
Walleye

I was having great luck until the motor decided to quit.... We fished Saturday morning from around 7am-1pm and boated 10 Walleye. The biggest was 6.5lbs and we had a few around 4-5 lbs as-well. We did the same as usual fishing worm harnesses around Trident shoal. I would say it was actually a slightly better than average opener if judging by Saturday morning alone. That said the netting definitely needs to be monitored better than it is right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Admin

I was kinds suprised at the reports of tough fishing. We were parked in a crowd of at least 30-40 boats and it seemed to me every once in a while someone was grabbing a net and boating a fish. We werent chasing the big ones in this area and nor was anybody else. The eaters were all a nice 3lb range.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:59 am 
Walleye Catcher

by the sounds of things, sunday might have been an off day compared to Saturday.... figures, the only day i didnt' go out

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:19 pm 
Walleye

my daughter and her boyfriend slade them at the mouth of the trent sunday evening,i gave them a few jigs i like and they never took the first one off.
fish as large as 10lbs boated and released,they packed er up at 7pm and hit the dock with eyes in the 3 ta 6lb range.
she informed me they never seen too many boated and that i was right when i told her most will be trolling and that 99% were,then she asked me "do ya have any more of those jigs lol".i told her the price just went up lol lol

Hawg Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:30 pm 
Walleye

One thing I did notice is that they wanted those worm harnesses to be moving real slow..... I think a lot of people may not have made this adjustment and hence did not hook into any fish. I don't hink we had a fish bite on anything over 1.2mph. In fact a few bit when we were stopping to reset lines or net a fish.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:50 pm 
Walleye Master

DanElliot wrote:
I was kinds suprised at the reports of tough fishing. We were parked in a crowd of at least 30-40 boats and it seemed to me every once in a while someone was grabbing a net and boating a fish. We werent chasing the big ones in this area and nor was anybody else. The eaters were all a nice 3lb range.

I missed the opener this year for the first time in a long while :evil: but I was also surprised at the reports of tough fishing. After reading a few more posts today, seems like everything was normal. Lots of eaters for everybody, and a few Hawgs for the Leaderboard.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:59 pm 
Walleye

I had a great weekend lots of action for the time spent out got an 8,7 and 6 and lots of smaller eyes but no prize winners then got into some hot pike action on monday with a couple between 7-8 and a bunch more between about 3-6 during the day

Is it just me or did anyone else notice a lot of guys trolling before midnight on Friday?

banner ad