Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: all tagged out
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:18 pm 
Walleye Master

I made it out to my favorite turkey woods this morning around 8:30 and started the walk in to my usual spot. I got settled in around 9:15. I started out with some soft calling on the old slate and about five minutes later I heard a few branches breaking and something coming over through the thick brush. By the sound of it, I figured it was a deer coming to what the fuss was all about.
It went quiet for a minute and then a head came bobbing along the edge of open woods. It was a hen and was followed by 2 more. Following them up was who I was looking for. I checked him out for a beard and he looked good. I pulled up the gun and centered the crosshairs at about 30 yards. Tom #2 fell around 9:25 and ended a great spring turkey hunt.

On the walk back to the truck, I picked some morels and figured they would be great with a turkey dinner tonight.

And they were.

Post subject: Re: all tagged out
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:28 am 
Walleye Angler

Very nice :) congrats........ I just love Turkey hunting. I have never seen morels in the woods is there a certain place they prefer to grow in the woods? How do you cook them ?

Last edited by catcher on Thu May 17, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: all tagged out
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 am 
Walleye Master

I hear ya, they should make a turkey a week limit. I almost thought about not shooting him just knowing my season would be over.

Morels are a funny thing. They only grow in the spring, luckily during the turkey hunt. Once you see them, there is no mistaking them for another mushroom. I have found them everywhere from the top of sandy hills to low areas growing on moss and everywhere inbetween. If I find more anywhere in particular, it is packed sandy areas with low vegetation, thin moss and partially shaded. Along abandoned railways is usually a good spot as well.

But they can be hard to find. The thing I find with them is you can so easily walk right past them, but once you spot one, there are usually more very close by. I almost stepped on four of those before I saw one and couldn't believe I walked past the others. I find my 7 yr old has a great eye for them and finds them better than I do.

You have to wash them really good as sand gets inside the large open pores. I wash them twice, cut them in half (they are hollow in the middle) wash them again and "shake" them to get the sand out. Let them dry for a day on a paper towel out in the open. After that I like to fry them in green onions and butter. They have their own unique delicious taste. And thanks to Buckflash, I found they go great with fiddleheads too.

Good luck if you go looking.

banner ad
banner ad