Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey guys,

Had my dad down for our first fishing weekend at the new house. Decided to head straight across from the house to the deeper hole (across from Blakewoods).

Fishing out of a plastic jon boat had us limited in the way we fished and the location, but apparently we didn't have to travel far to get into them. What a blast to catch a limit with the old man. First night out we fished in 7-10 fow trolling meps and erieies, Dad out fished me, but we both had a blast.

Next day the skies were cloudless and I figured the fish would be off the bite. Set the trolling motor at 1 (1.3 mph) nothing. Upped it to 2 (1.7 mph) first fish of the day. Dad boats a sheephead, I remind him we are after walleye. Day is looking up. At 8:00 the fish turn on. Second fish of the day is a small walleye too little to keep. Dad is up 2 fish to none. By accident I set the motor to 3 (2.5 mph) and if I don't get my first walleye and first keeper of the day. I decide to keep on fast trolling and it was a good thing. By 10:00 we had boated our limits and were headed home. Most fish were caught near the floating tree that is in that area, trolling at about 2.5 mph and trolling a orange spotted black fury size #3 tipped with a worm.

Great day. However as I spoke to other boaters they said they hadn't had the same luck. I told one boat where we had fished and how fast, he replied that I was going too fast for walleye, yet I had my count and their boat only had 1. Weird. :?

Anyways great time out on the water. If you see me out there in my little plastic jon boat say high.

Oh, and by the way. If you camp at Blake woods, you don't need to go too far. I discovered a weed bed out in front of the blue cottage 4 doors west that was loaded with walleye. First time ripping jigs for walleye and was quite happy with the results.

Hope you all have a great time out there. :)

Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:53 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for the report Dan. Just proves that there are no rules in fishing. What's working one day may not work the next. Thinking outside the box can be a big part of being successful on any given day. The fun is putting the puzzle together.....and you got to do it with your dad! Good times :D

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:37 pm 
Guppy

Sounds like you had quite the day. Congrats on your success and thanks for sharing!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:29 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Great News DAn, always happy to fish with your father.

David aka Superdad

banner ad
banner ad