banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:21 am 
Minnow

Hi! Guys

Since I am new to fishing and all the electronics stuff, something happen on the weekend when we were in the BOQ that to me shouldn't happen because you are suppose to trust your equipment and since I have no explanation for it - I thought I would ask for your guys insight. We have just purchased a Hummingbird 597 ci HD with the Navtronic chip for Lakes in Ontario and when we were trolling, at one point the current track showed that we were trolling on the land - since I was driving the boat at that time, I know we were in the water not on land. :D Does it do that if there is a shelf and then a drop off? Or is it something else? Like I said I am an amateur and can't understand why this happen and was just wondering why it did. If anyone can give me some insight to this, I would appreciate it. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:13 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I have a similar setup. Where exactly were you?

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:22 am 
Walleye

My brother's boat has a Lowrance on it with the Navionics chip as well and I had that same problem near Picton Harbor as well as on some other lakes. I wouldn't say they are SUPER accurate so always keep your eyes peeled when driving and don't cut any points too close! :)

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am 
Walleye Master

diffently not accurate, i hit a shoal last fall, it said i had 10 feet of water. was running in between waves, hit bottom, for a few seconds.
I am scared to go fast in under 15 feet of water this year...

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:58 am 
Walleye

did you have the chip selected? with my lowrance gps i have to select the chip everytime i shut off the unit. maybe its the same with hummingbird.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:20 pm 
Minnow

Hi! again. Our location was near Picton Harbour as well. I will have to keep a closer eye on that - I just assumed that those things were pretty accurate. I don't believe that I have a chip select on it but I will check. I will have to tell my husband that as well because he goes by himself sometimes. Thanks guys for all the good info because like I said I am an amateur and I just assume that I am doing something wrong. And I won't cut corner to close. HA!HA!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:23 pm 
Walleye

Interesting that on your Lowrance you need to select the chip every time. We don't on ours.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:56 pm 
Walleye

mines an Elite 5, any idea how i can keep it selected?

sry for highjacking your thread.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:59 pm 
Walleye

Hmm sorry Beaner, never used the Elite 5, my brother's is and HDS unit.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:22 pm 
Walleye Master

The Fishing/UFC Girl wrote:
Hi! Guys

Since I am new to fishing and all the electronics stuff, something happen on the weekend when we were in the BOQ that to me shouldn't happen because you are suppose to trust your equipment and since I have no explanation for it - I thought I would ask for your guys insight. We have just purchased a Hummingbird 597 ci HD with the Navtronic chip for Lakes in Ontario and when we were trolling, at one point the current track showed that we were trolling on the land - since I was driving the boat at that time, I know we were in the water not on land. :D Does it do that if there is a shelf and then a drop off? Or is it something else? Like I said I am an amateur and can't understand why this happen and was just wondering why it did. If anyone can give me some insight to this, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Click "Board Index" on the top left of the page, then click on Radioworld forum and repost you're question there. The boys from Radioworld should be able to help.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:30 am 
Walleye Master

It is common, here is a shot from yesterday. That wall is a few hundred meters long , 8 ft tall and a whole lot of rock.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 am 
Walleye

The inaccuracy is in the survey of the charts, not the gps position. It seems that many charts surveyed back in the day are out slightly as far as actual lat/long positions goes. When I sailed commercially we were one of the first boats to have an electronic chart on board and the first few months were spent plotting positions on the paper chart to test for accuracy. You would be surprised how far some of them are out, especially once you get below montreal. It is a great tool, no doubt but don't forget to have a peek over the windshield every once in a while and see where you ACTUALLY are.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:27 am 
Walleye Catcher

Some GPS units have a EPE or Estimated Position Error that you can view on the unit to see the accuracy of your GPS position. That is a great tool to determine if your GPS position is out or if the map is out. These Navionics charts are made up of several different charts. You may notice the boundary lines if you zoom out on the map. Generally, you'll notice that when you come into one of these new charts (when you cross a boundary line) your position goes way out. That's because the two maps aren't lined up correctly. So its either a Navionics issue or a CHS chart survey issue. When you find these errors fill out the "Report A Problem" form on Navionics website http://www.navionics.com/ReportProblem.asp They are very good at following up on these submissions.

beaner wrote:
mines an Elite 5, any idea how i can keep it selected? sry for highjacking your thread.

Download the lastest version. 2.9 or Higher fixes that problem http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Pr ... re-Update/

-Lawren

Check out our blog at www.blog.radioworld.ca

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:49 pm 
Walleye

thanks for the update lawren, gonna put it to use!

banner ad
banner ad