Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:50 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Laker John and I felt we should give the browns one more try and we have never fished them in May. So we headed for Sandbanks for another shot. Left Kingston at 0500 and had the rods in the water and fishing by 0715.

Trolled the west side of Athol Bay in varying depths and finally at 0930, the reel sang twice and NOTHING at the end of the line. Darn!!!!!

Saw another boat trolling the beach and the same shore and they headed to Wicked Bank and then south past the horizon. Saw some other boats a way out there also, just dots on the horizon.

Trolled toward West Point with the downriggers as we were seeing huge clouds of bait down 25-40 feet, didn't see many marks near the bait at all.

We thought the day was going to be warm and sunny and dressed for July - boy were we wrong, (at first) cloudy with little shots of sun, and the wind was cool. We said 'it's still May" have to dress properly. Sun came out at 1045 and we warmed up.

Called it a day around 1230 and headed for the launch.

Guess we'll wait til next March to try for browns again.

Stay Tuned.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:21 am 
Walleye Master

David, dont feel bad. I put 8 hours on the water yesterday in search of some kings and covered water out to 350 ft and ended up with one skipper king and a laker to show for it. The biting flies were awful. Ironically I took the King on a power dive minnow on a chute rod. He did put on an aerial show though. I can tell ya that the fishing on my side from the border all the way to rochester has really shut down. All the charters were struggling with the browns, the kings have dissapeared. Lakers are always to be had but I dont target them.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:38 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for your report SD. I'm glad you got out as I was contemplating going out myself to give it one more shot at browns. With this warm water, I was also thinking Kings. Tried to see if Trannyman's boat was in his driveway or Lake O. Thanks again for your report. Dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:07 am 
Walleye

Hey Superdad, that was us (Laker2011, TheDL and myself) you saw out there (I thought that might have been you and Laker John). We started our troll from West Point and did the whole of Athol Bay working between 20 and 10 FOW in search of some Browns. We marked lots of bait and a few arches but couldn't trigger a hit. We varied our speed, dragged a bunch of different lures with no success. We then headed to Wicked Bank in hopes of finding SOMETHING and despite marking a TON of bait we couldn't find any takers. We packed it up at around 2:30 and boy was it a rough ride back as the wind picked up out of the South. I second what you said about thinking it was going to be a warm day, it was CHILLY.

Andrew

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:18 am 
Walleye

Dave I fished at Wicked Banks area yesterday as well, I was the white with green top Campion, I did see a Legion boat there as well for a short period of time. We had a good day using rac spoons Michael Jackson, blue berry muffin and a funky chicken. We ended the day with 3 browns the largest 12 1/2 lbs we also caught a 9 1/2 lb steelhead. Used down riggers covering a range between 40 to 55ft. the steelhead was also on the funky chicken. A lot of bait in that area I can't see it being very long before were into the salmon, the table is ready for them.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:15 am 
Walleye Master

The best advice is this. The lake is in its transition period. For those of you that fish salmon/trout on the big pond a lot you know what I mean. Spend the next 2 weeks or so making the girlfriend/wife happy and earning yourself some man miles. You wont be missing out on much and when the fishing does get good again and the lake "sets back up" you will have a happy significant other to cut you loose. ;)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:30 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Thanks Ad29, Traveller and Landshark, glad some one caught something.

Guess we'll have to spend some quality time with the walleyes.

I'm sure the walleye bite will calm down and the real fishing will start.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:12 am 
Walleye

No problem Superdad, thank for the great reports you post on a regular basis!

Glad to hear you got into some fish Dave, we were the guys in the Legend...we thought we'd check deeper water with no success, I jokingly said to the guys that "we should follow that guy" (you) since we are relatively new to fishing Lake O, in hindsight I guess we should have ;).

Thanks for the heads up Landshark, I should probably rebuild some man miles!

Andrew

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:21 pm 
Walleye

We had to go shortly after you went by. I sure would have liked to stayed there but one of our fellows from our camp had motor problems on West Lake. He has quite a large boat so we pulled our lines and went in to help. We will be in that area again hopefully this weekend if you have VHF radio we monitor 71.

Of course our boat name is Traveller

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:11 am 
Walleye

traveller wrote:
We had to go shortly after you went by. I sure would have liked to stayed there but one of our fellows from our camp had motor problems on West Lake. He has quite a large boat so we pulled our lines and went in to help. We will be in that area again hopefully this weekend if you have VHF radio we monitor 71.

Of course our boat name is Traveller

That's too bad about your friend's motor, I hope you guys got things straightened out alright. Unfortunately I'll probably be home working on building up my "man miles" as Landshark put it! :) But we do have a radio and next time we're out there (probably the 9th) I'll flip it over to channel 71 (we're sleepless fisher).

Cheers,
Andrew

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

I agree with Landshark. That's why I haven't fished in a week but have done a great deal of work around the house and yard. However, I may have to go stream trout fishing for my fish fix!

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 am 
Walleye

I don't mind going out looking for Chinooks at this time of the year when there is always a chance of getting browns or steelhead. I know it is a dirty job (lol) but somebody has got to do it, hopefully the chinooks are in soon. Will report if we have any luck or anyone in our camp has, I still think it won't be very long now.

It doesn't look very good weather wise this weekend though.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:19 am 
Walleye

Awesome, thank you traveller. I look forward to your reports, although you're right...the weather looks pretty narly for the weekend (some really high winds). Be safe out there if you head out.

Andrew

banner ad