Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Weekend report
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

I don’t normally do weekend reports; this one will be unique because we were competing in the QFS walleye opener.

The morning started with 40 boats in Belleville, light 15k winds out of the east, 20~ degrees and blue-bird skies. Prefishing pointed us towards two very small stretches of weedline which were maybe 200 total yards in length. Not much had changed since prefish so we were confident that the fish would still be there. We put the Triton/Mercury in drive and enjoyed the beautiful morning….at 74Mph.

The area itself was around Ram Island; 6’-8’, muddy water, 73.4-degrees, tight defined weed edge, and windblown. Unlike a bass and contrary to the high skies, the walleye were roaming a few feet out from the edge. We also noted from prefishing that the walleye were schooled tight; if you got one there were very likely more. Upon arrival we put a small limit together using small natural shad coloured cranks on 7’2” Shimano Cumara rods. We normally prefer glass TC4 casting rods, but in this specific case the spincaster was the weapon of choice because they allowed us to cast these very light baits far into the wind. In combination, we also used green and blue worm harnesses rigged Carolina. Why a Carolina rig? Frankly speaking… I don’t know how to use a bottom bouncer, and I do feel a Carolina rig does a better job because the fish doesn’t pull against a big 1.5oz weight (the line slips through the weight in a Carolina rig) and you can cast a Carolina rig.

With a small limit in the boat, we had to find some larger fish. Next stop was a weed flat in Picton bay. Limited weed growth, ~15ft-30ft, 64-degrees, crystal clear water – the exact opposite of the morning’s spot. We knew we had to make the move as there was exactly zero chance at 5,6,7 lb'r from Hay Bay doing what we were doing. We put in about 2h of trolling, rip jig, large cranks, small cranks…shallow, deep, fast (2.2Mph), slow (1.3 Mph). Nothing. We marked a lot of baitfish (perch) but no ‘large hooks’ (a little walleye talk from a bass guy).

Back to Hay Bay to nickel-and-dime, some small fish. It was now noon, and using the same approach as in the morning we went back to the original weedline, with some company – a white PrinceCraft who was also in the tourney (who caught ~5 in the 20mins they were in view!). We made a single pass, landing a couple more with nothing more than 2.5lbs and left.

With about 3h to go we started to run, looking for active fish. Thompson’s, Sherman’s, Hog’s Back, Green pt., Massasauga, Snake and DONE! We managed to cull one in the last few minutes using green Carolina rigged worm harness in 12’, 72-degrees.

All in all a great day! Probably caught 20 fish and had a great time. And so concludes my walleye season; 364 more days until I do it again!

Post subject: Re: Weekend report
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:35 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice report!! I like the idea of the worm harness Carolina rigged. You can get smaller bottom bouncers (1/2 or 3/4 ounce) but like you say, you wouldn't be able to cast. I guess if it wasn't for the tourney, 20 eaters would be a great day in my books.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:35 pm 
Walleye Master

Congrats on a good day.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:18 pm 
Perch

To add a little more detail to the Carolina rig. We found that some fish would strike the rig while trolling but more success was obtained through casting. I figure this is because the boat (with transducer and trolling motor goin). isnt spooking them. I also found that controlling the retrieve played a large part to the amount of fish caught. Maintaining tight line and a steady retrieve helped with fish detection and hook sets. If anyone has any questions feel free to toss it up on here or pm either myself or my brother and we are always happy to help anyone catch more and enjoy a day on the water.

cheers!
Driven to Fish.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Matt and Jimmy,
thanks for posting that. We had very similar results with cranks and weededges. Most productive weeds were 6-8ft and a slow steady retrieve. When hung up on weeds ripping the crank followed with a long pause sometimes got responses. The shad are in and so many that we were catching them on my crankbait, see picture below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Great report!!! Like all the details! Hey Dan, that looks like the same shad I caught 6 times over ;)
lol

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:50 pm 
Walleye Master

In 2010 and 2011, i spent a ton of time throwing carolina rigs for walleye.
Found to have limited success on big fish. caught a ton of fish under 5 pounds.
I am considering giving it ago again.
So,
1. What bait do you use ?? (i assume plastic ?? trigger x ??? etc ?) you can pm me if its secret.
2. What length of rod and action ?? (i fished it on a 7"6 medium, Carolina rig rod)
3. What did you use for line ?? Do you tie your own worm harness ? (are they mono or floro rigs)
4. Tungsten weight or lead ?
5. Also floro or braid for the cranks ? if floro how many pounds ?
Thanks
steve

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 pm 
Walleye Angler

Steve, its time to start thinking bass !

1. floating worm harnesses...... ironically the same colour as a couple of other guys mentioned on their reports (green/blue/copper/)
2. 7' Shimano Cruicial, Curado E7
3. PowerPro main line. The worm harnesses came with 15 fluoro so no changes needed other than swapping the hooks to Trokar 1/0
4. Tungsten.
5. PowerPro super slick timber to 15 fluoro leader.

I know I'm guilty of over complicating things and spending way too much $; fishing doesn't need to be that. The main point of my post is to give the mom's, dad's, grandma's, grandpa's, brothers, sisters, ... a head start, an idea or something new to try. Get the kids out and catch fish! I think we finished top10 somewhere........but we also caught what was undoubtedly the new IFGA world record sunfish!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:34 pm 
Walleye Master

Try Lindy Rig. Very similar to Carolina Rig. Simple hook and a leech. Gulp Alive or Trigger X. Troll or drift. Deadly on slow days. Have caught many incidental bass this way also!!!!!! Walleye LOVE Leeches!!!!!!!

Oh Ya, 20 year old Ugly Stick with 8 pound mono :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:49 pm 
Walleye Master

I love to lindy rig, one thins i like is a really soft rod tip. I likethe walleye to grab on and feel very lil resistance. You will just see the rod start to get heavy and I will actually pick the rod up, give him a lil slack and then set the hook. By doing this I think they have a tendency to grab ahold deeper. I like this sinker and I like to add a green and chartruese float http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/produ ... slipsinker

banner ad