banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:19 am 
Walleye Angler

NO Fishing TRENTON. Number One DAM

I have just received a report from some friends of mine.
They fish the #1 Damn in Trenton. They fish summer and Fall at the Dam.
Well they went on Sunday for a fish. The Dam is all fenced off. Signs saying no fishing from the Dam or piers. Sad day for fishermen and Fisher women in Quintewest. :evil: :( :x :oops: :o

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:12 am 
Walleye Catcher

I'm under the impression that the dam is now fenced off from crossing and fishing off of, but you are still able to fish from shore on either side. I kinda agree with decision due to liability there and I have seen too many fish caught from dams and bridges and then thrown 20 feet down back into the water .

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am 
Walleye Angler

There has been some lives lost there as well. A young lad last year diving for lures. Too sad :(

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:55 am 
Walleye Angler

Was fishing below the dam two weeks ago.....sign says eight people have died there since 1988...or something to that effect....cant get on dam itself due to fence and the sign...lots of room below dam ...lots of spawning fish....carp,drum ect....huge fish ...also caught a muskie,a catfish and a walleye....still a good spot if you need a few hours entertainment

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:43 am 
Walleye

new rules in place for dam operators.. safety issues

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:38 am 
Walleye Master

Sorry guys, but this really sucks.

I went down last night. They have built steel wire fences complete with barbed wire at both ends of the dam. Looks like a freaking prison wall. You can access it from both sides and fish below, but you can not cross it.

As much as I could not walk to the other side and go fishing like I have for 40 years, I also watched as a family walking their dog came from the east side expecting to walk acaross and I presume down the trail to the point. They came to the fence and I could see them waving their hands in the air as they turned around and walked back.

Next question is, when are they going to do the same thing to the rest of the dams on the Trent River. While they're at it, they might as well build fences down the sides or just block off all access completely. That would protect us right???

I wonder if they considered how many more people are going to start using the train bridge now. I know they do now, you can see their trail. There's going to be a whole bunch more now I bet. That sounds safe.

I don't know who built these, if it was Quinte West, Parks Canada or who, but I'd sure like to write a letter of disgust to someone right now and tell them to shove their rules and barbed wire fence right up their $%@! instead of down our throats like usual.

Sorry for the rant. I'll do better if I find out who to direct this to. In the meantime, anyone got a gas powered steel saw I can borrow...

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:53 am 
Walleye Angler

adventure wrote:
Sorry guys, but this really sucks.

I went down last night. They have built steel wire fences complete with barbed wire at both ends of the dam. Looks like a freaking prison wall. You can access it from both sides and fish below, but you can not cross it.

As much as I could not walk to the other side and go fishing like I have for 40 years, I also watched as a family walking their dog came from the east side expecting to walk acaross and I presume down the trail to the point. They came to the fence and I could see them waving their hands in the air as they turned around and walked back.

Next question is, when are they going to do the same thing to the rest of the dams on the Trent River. While they're at it, they might as well build fences down the sides or just block off all access completely. That would protect us right???

I wonder if they considered how many more people are going to start using the train bridge now. I know they do now, you can see their trail. There's going to be a whole bunch more now I bet. That sounds safe.

I don't know who built these, if it was Quinte West, Parks Canada or who, but I'd sure like to write a letter of disgust to someone right now and tell them to shove their rules and barbed wire fence right up their $%@! instead of down our throats like usual.

Sorry for the rant. I'll do better if I find out who to direct this to. In the meantime, anyone got a gas powered steel saw I can borrow...

Hey looks like im not the only one that is a little ticked off. Great post Adventure. I am with you my friend.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:31 am 
Walleye Master

I was standing below the dam last night talking to another fellow fisherman and he was as ticked off as we are Sknkmn. I wrote a letter to Rick Norlock and would encourage any to do the same.

What's next, barb wire fences across public boat launches because there are too many boating accidents?

Here's a copy of the letter I sent if anyone is interested.

rick@ricknorlock.ca

My name is Dave Bridgewater from Quinte West.

I recently visited the number one dam in Trenton to go fishing as I have for 30 years and was surprised and disgusted by the steel wire fences complete with barbed wire at both ends of the dam. It looks like a prison wall. You can access the dam from both sides, but you can not cross it.

As much as I could not walk to the other side and go fishing like I have for 30 years, I also watched as a family walking their dog came from the east side expecting to walk across and I presume down the trail to the point. They came to the fence and I could see them waving their hands in the air as they turned around and walked back. So much for their family walk.

I’m guessing some dictator in their “right mind” came up with this idea that would protect us right???

I wonder if they considered how many more people are going to start using the train bridge above the dam . I know they do now, I have seen them and you can see their trail. There's going to be a whole bunch more now. That sounds safe don’t you think? I hope noone dies being hit by a train now.

This fence is wrong. And I am not the only one who thinks so. It’s all fine to put up cautionary measures, but this will effect many people in many different ways.

I can now see where the people who use this area for swimming are simply going down further to the area where there are still strong currents. There is no less risk there –or anywhere else for that matter. People will move and drowning will start to occur there.

It is unfortunate about the deaths that have occurred at this dam. But what’s next to protect us? Barbed wire fences across public roads because people die in car accidents?

If you want to stop people going out on the piers, simply put a better stop on the piers themselves. If you want to block people from crossing the dam, build a proper footbridge across the river close to this area as they have in Peterborough.

Don’t take away public access to go from one side of the river to the other and endanger people in other ways.

Regards,
Dave Bridgewater

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:53 am 
Walleye Angler

Yepper Sent my email out. Hey Adventure . You my want to look at links I am posting. They may like your message also.

http://www.trentonian.ca/feedback1/defa ... paperemail

http://www.quinteradio.com/book

http://www.perfprint.ca/emcbellevillep670.php

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:36 pm 
Walleye Master

Here is the response from Rick Norlock's office. I feel so much better now knowing big brother is protecting all of us. Yeah right.

I already responded about not addressing the issues I raised and requested Parks Canada get my letter as well. Let's hope the rest of the dams and public launches aren't next on their hit list to "protect the public".

Good Afternoon Dave;

Thank you for your email and for your thoughts and concerns regarding the fence at Dam 1.

As you are aware, there have been an unfortunate amount of drowning victims specifically at this dam site and this fence has been constructed to discourage individuals from utilizing this route for recreational activities. The dam is not meant for traversing, fishing or swimming as it is not a recreational pathway.

Parks Canada, along with support from the City of Quinte West, agree this is a reasonable option to protect the public. Public Safety is Parks Canada’s primary concern at all times.

I would also be more than happy to send your questions along to Parks Canada if you would like a direct response from that office.

Regards,
Stephanie Campbell
Executive Assistant
Rick Norlock, MP
Northumberland Quinte West
Cobourg: 905-372-8757
Trenton: 613-392-3382
rick@ricknorlock.ca

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:30 am 
Walleye Master

maybe they could have put out a special dam crossing permit that people could buy, or at least offer a safty cource on street, dam ,and bridge crossing at a minimal cost of $49.95.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:19 am 
Walleye Angler

They really thought this one through, nobody actually drowned on the dam, they drowned in the water. Post a no swimming sign and have the OPP bust a few dummies that can't read.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 am 
Walleye Angler

Well this is what I heard back from my email.

:lol: :x

Good Afternoon Paul;

Thank you for your email and for your thoughts and concerns regarding the fence at Dam 1.

As you are aware, there have been an unfortunate amount of drowning victims specifically at this dam site and this fence has been constructed to discourage individuals from utilizing this route for recreational activities. The dam is not meant for traversing, fishing or swimming as it is not a recreational pathway.

Parks Canada, along with support from the City of Quinte West, agree this is a reasonable option to protect the public. Public Safety is Parks Canada’s primary concern at all times.

I would also be more than happy to send your questions along to Parks Canada if you would like a direct response from that office.

Regards,

Stephanie Campbell

Executive Assistant

Rick Norlock, MP

Northumberland Quinte West

Cobourg: 905-372-8757

Trenton: 613-392-3382

rick@ricknorlock.ca

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:30 am 
Walleye Master

Hey, that looks familiar. I think they cut and pasted their response to you.

I think everyone here should respond by cutting and pasting my letter into an e-mail and sending it to them. All the information is there to do it.

Even if you never fish the #1 dam, just imagine walking up to the dam at Glen Ross and not being able to walk out on it because there is a barbed wire fence across it. Then imagine driving up to your launch only to be greeted by a barbed wire fence blocking you from launching your boat. Or having a barbed wire fence go across the front of Myers Pier.

Because that is exactly what they did in Trenton.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:57 pm 
Walleye

Me and my dad were fishing there when the kid drowned last year and they were not on the dam they went down on the west side shore and were swimming in the rapids, My dad did tell the kids they should not be swimming there because of the undertoe that is caused by the dam, they did not listen to him or the other people preaching the same thing,then about 20 mins later the one kid went down in the water and never came up :( if they wanted to stop the drownings there they should put the fence along the sides not the dam. I love fishing there this always happens when people do stupid things or abuse places like this. Cheers

banner ad