Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:23 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:51 am 
Walleye

Well this season started with high expectations. Bird #'s are good in my area, my properties are holding birds. I got them patterned pretty good, and best of all my oldest son just got his license and would be an apprentice hunter this year. He has been going out with me for several years but having just turned 12 it was time to put the gun in his hands.

We went out opening morning and chased around 9 elusive Toms all morning before finally giving in to the hunger and heading for breakfast. Over the spring we went out numerous times always seeing birds but never quite sealing the deal. The days he would stay at home, I would go out and scout new areas and 3 times had birds in range, but when he came out, they just would not commit.

Then last week we finally had it all come together but unfortunately he missed. I was heartbroken for him and worried how he would deal with it. He was in the dumps but I explained that if it was easy, everyone would do it.

Well this morning, our 10th morning up and out at 4:30am, our last morning it finally worked. We went in early to a corner of a field that I set up on 7 Toms 2 days before with a new hunter but never got a shot.

Dawn breaks and my heart becomes heavy as we don't hear a single gobble. 2 days ago i was serenaded by at least 30 gobbles on the roost. At 6am we are treated to a lone hen that wanders out 300yds away and my subtle calling lures our live decoy into about 60yds before she has enough and walks out of the field. I was happy to see her because I knew that the Toms would not show till 7am or so and it helped pass the time for 20mins. At 7am I reached to pick up the boat paddle call and got busted by a hen at 20' the first chirp I made. 7:30 comes and we have to start making our way out because Matt had placement tests today at school. I slowly peek out into the field before going out to retrieve our decoy and spot a redhead coming right down the field edge about 50yds away. I was so proud as Matt got reset with the gun up at the ready and after a loooong 5 min wait, Mr. Turkey pops out at 10' in front of Matts Barrel. I whisper as loud as I dared.Kill Him and KABOOM!!!! The poor buggers head met a swarm of 20ga heavy shot #6's and Matts first bird is down without so much as a flop or funky chicken

I let out a hoot to wake the world, he hunted so hard for this bird. He put the heartbreaking miss behind him and was able to put it all together and make his ol man so proud.

He is already talking about deer hunting and how he wants his first deer to be with a bow, to which I am sure he will be more than prepared. But before that I tell him he has one final thing to do.... The Victory Walk....

Words can not describe the feelings I have right now. I am so proud of my boy and the man he is becoming. This is truly a moment that I will remember and cherish for the rest of my days.

Thanks for listening.

Proud Poppa RED

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:11 am 
Walleye Master

You said it absolutely perfect.

Thank you for sharing. A big congatulations to both of you!
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:28 am 
Walleye Angler

Awsome story glad eveything worked out for the pair of you

banner ad