Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: US Fishing Requirements
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm looking for any help with information on fishing US waters.

I DON'T have a passport and doubt I will in time for bass season the US side, launching out of Kingston.

I believe that there is a licence that one can get, that allows this without having the physically check in with Customs?

I do have my enhanced drivers licence and have been told this will work but with it, and from experience, they still have to see you in person.

Anyone know what the other type of licence is called or how to get it?

Thanks for any information.

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:46 pm 
Walleye Master

Dont anchor or dock and u need nothing

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:32 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks Landshark.

I'm needing this for the Open in Kingston and last year although told my enhanced drivers licence would work, was given incorrect information.

I had to physically check in at A-Bay Customs even though we weren't anchored or touch land.

So this has changed then?

Again, thanks for the reply.

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:25 pm 
Perch

This whole topic has been a bone of contention on a number of boards due to the frequency of crossings at Niagara and Detroit. I will attempt to summarize the latest info as follows:

You (a Canadaian) do not need to report to US customs unless you land, anchor, or enter an inland waterway. The clearest explanation I have is as cut and pasted from another board:

Quote:
Some guys from Niagara were growing frustrated with all the confusion surrounding coming and going between US & Canadian waters so they organized an information session last week and invited all the relevent US & Canadian authorities to hopefully clear things up. Unfortunately, the CBSA failed to show up as promised so there was no update from them on the Canadian reporting requirements. Here are the notes that one of the guys present posted for others to read which I think helps confirm what is required when crossing and landing on the US side. As far as CBSA goes, it still seems that you are supposed to call in the first time you enter or re-enter Canadian waters each day whether you intend to touch ground or not.

Quote:

They explained the Nexus card is basically clearnance for you. You can have them register your boat under the card(Boater Registration, BR#) so you are now able to just call in from the boat without having to use a video phone. Everyone in the boat would require a nexus card. They said 6-8 weeks to get the card. We are still inquiring if your able to use Nexus while trailering your boat to cross the river. They provided two numbers 1-800-827-2851 if you need to call in from a non-video phone location to report to customs because you intend to land on US soil. 1-800-331-0353 is for homeland security. This number is to be used to report suspicious activities on the water and also in event of an emergency where you have to land on the US side(ie breakdown, medical emergency). They would work with you to get you back on your way or the necessary help. This is basically a border 911 number and TIPS line in one. They know these things happen and are there to help. You just need to ensure you have somekind of ID on you whenever in US waters just in case, but not neccesarlily your passport or nexus but it would be good to have those just in case. The US homeland security guys asked that if they want to check you or board you don't take offense as they are only doing their job. Not giving them attitude will get you on the way quicker. They will check you in Canadian waters as well or will detain you and request Canadian assistance if they feel further investigation is warranted.
Entering into the US waters you are not landed unless you touch ground, anchor, or enter an inland waterway or canal so you don't have to call at all when your just going fishing.

As far as returning to Canada, you are required to report as soon as you re-enter Canadain waters or report to a CBSA reporting station even if you have not landed or anchored in the USA. If you are criss-crossing the border, you only report once each day (the first time you come back in). The CBSA just released this bulletin which clarifies the whole deal:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/096-eng.html

Please don't shoot the messenger because this whole thing a confused mess. This has been a hot topic on a number of fronts and as I said, these are the facts (as far as I know, at this point in time).....

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:10 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for all the information.

I'm going to start the ball rolling for a Nexus card and eventually get a passport.

Cheers,

Paul

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:44 am 
Walleye Catcher

The nexus card is not cheap. Keep that in mind. A passport gives you more options for future travel internationaly.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:55 am 
Walleye Angler

hope i can help a bit here.i live in the 1000 islands and i have a high performance boat and my fishing boat.
If you go stateside which means anchoring and/or docking on the shore you must register.
when you return to canada you again must declare your boat at a canada station.
a nexus card will allow you to phone american customs with-out havig to go to a amrican station example I will take my big boat to grindstone island for the weekend (american) call through nexus when I arrive on the island i do not have to go to a american custom station with a nexus.time to go home I still have to go to shore for your declaration in canada (nexus is only for the states)
with my fishing boat I go in and out of the states probably 4-5 times in a day while I am fishing. you do not have to register with states or canada.I have not anchored or went to shore I am just fishing.
hope this helps

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:12 am 
Perch

From what I understand, unless everyone on the boat has a Nexus card, you still need to report to US Customs in person if you intend to land, anchor, or enter a canal. There is the option to apply for the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS) which appears to be fairly simple and it will allow you to come and go from the US with only a phone call each time and each person on board simply needs their passport when they land on US soil. It is explained fairly well on Pat's Boating in Canada Website:

http://boating.ncf.ca/usborder.html

gordo1000, be careful because as of last year, and as per the CBSA bulletin posted previously, you have to report to Canada Customs either by phone as soon as you enter Canadian waters or travel directly to CBSA reporting station even if you haven't landed or anchored in the US. Makes no sense but that's what they've decided and they are handing out $1000 tickets to prove their point (if they have one that is....).

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:48 am 
Walleye Angler

I used to fish a lot in the states years ago, tournaments as well, it was hassle free.
Nowadays the red bull$!% has you marked for a terrorist or runner and are rudely treated, as well as timely with entering and leaving.
There are just as many fish in numbers and size here as there are over there. Look at the gas savings, and weather and water conditions that can reach gale force in minutes,(in tourney those minutes are valuable and not to be wasted).
For me, if just to fish, tourney or otherwise, "CANADA IS WHERE IT"S AT!!!"

Pro Staff- Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Canadian Rep/Distributor Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Pros Staff- Woo Tungston
Pro Staff- Liquid Mayhem
Pro Staff- Gino's Pizza & Spahgetti

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:16 am 
Walleye Wisdom

G.mech wrote:
gordo1000, be careful because as of last year, and as per the CBSA bulletin posted previously, you have to report to Canada Customs either by phone as soon as you enter Canadian waters or travel directly to CBSA reporting station even if you haven't landed or anchored in the US. Makes no sense but that's what they've decided and they are handing out $1000 tickets to prove their point (if they have one that is....).

The above is my fear. I won't fish the US side myself unless someone I'm paired up with during the Kingston Open decides to do so.

The latest CSFL email states that we need a US fishing licence (of course) but doesn't say anything about any other documentation.

So I'm gathering then, as long as I don't land, anchor to enter an inland waterway?

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:35 am 
Perch

We cross all the time at the West end of Lake Erie and on the Detroit River and here's what the majority of guys are doing just to be safe:

Go fishing in US Waters with appropriate ID and US fishing license. You do not need to report to USCBS but DO NOT anchor, touch ground, enter and inland waterway, or come in contact with another boat. Have fun.

Upon returning to Canadian waters the first time each day, call CBSA Telephone Reporting Centre at 1-888-226-7277 from your cell. They ask you a couple of quetions and give you a clearance. If you cannot call from a cell, you are supposed to travel directly to a CBSA Designated Marine Telephone Reporting Site & call in from there. As long as you have cell service it's not a big deal. They are watching and $1000 MINIMUM fine is no joke.

If you are doing something wrong too close to the US shore, a good indication that they are not amused is when one of these starts hovering over your boat:

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:11 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks....

That's one close heli....

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:44 pm 
Walleye Angler

G.mech wrote:
From what I understand, unless everyone on the boat has a Nexus card, you still need to report to US Customs in person if you intend to land, anchor, or enter a canal. There is the option to apply for the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS) which appears to be fairly simple and it will allow you to come and go from the US with only a phone call each time and each person on board simply needs their passport when they land on US soil. It is explained fairly well on Pat's Boating in Canada Website:

http://boating.ncf.ca/usborder.html

gmack great point with the nexus all pasengers in the boat must have a nexus in-order to check in to customs through the phone otherwise you must go to a usa customs point in the states.as for myself I will continue to go through american waters to get to my favourite fishing hole.I am in the 1000 islands and have never heard of anyone (knock on wood) having concerns. as i said earlier I have a high performance boat and I always check in and out every time I enter the states but I am also over there for more than 1/2 days, different than fishing when i pass through or fish 4/5 times in a day.
cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:13 pm 
Perch

gordo1000, this whole kerfluffle started down your way last June. Here is how it started:

http://watertowndailytimes.com/article/20110630/NEWS03/306309962

The CBSA refused to admit that they overstepped the intent of the law and the resulting fallout went all the way to the US Senate and they couldn't change the situation. The current policy has been clearly outlined in the bulletin from CBSA posted earlier. It's your money and you are free to do as you wish but unfortunately, they are enforcing this now.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:08 pm 
Walleye

what if you power pole down? teehee

banner ad
banner ad