Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:32 pm 
Walleye

If anyone has some advice for me I could sure use it!

I have a family fishing trip planned, staying at the Chaudierre Lodge on the Upper French next weekend and most importantly have this little uggly trophy I won at last years trip that my wife refuses to let me display indoors that needs to be defended.

I understand the Walleye to be active and some monster Muskie lerking about but have never fished these waters. If anyone has any tips for me I could sure use some...the bantering has already begun which has put the pressure on.

I'll offer up a liitle surprise for anyone willing to part with a secret spot, or tactic that produces a repeat win for me...these guys I fish with are really starting to rattle my glasswear! (all in fun of course)

I'll be sure and post some pics of the event...next year we'll move to BOQ where I know a 15lb plus Sheepie lives!

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:33 am 
Walleye Angler

The french river is a great place to fish but the time to catch is in the AM and PM. Early morning and @ dusk. Dont waste time during the day. Find 14 FOW that drops to 18 FOW. Lots of spots have good water flow. Good luck
Snarfy

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:36 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Mouth of the French where it enters Lake Nippissing is awesome

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:32 pm 
Walleye

Thanks Snarfy/Charleston...been tough trying to find some charts of that area, would like to target some shoals and drop offs and will save the mid-day sun for dockside re-hydration! (good advice)

Keep you posted on my progress.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:36 pm 
Walleye

Apoligies for the late update (just back to cyber world!)

I am happy to report that the ugly little fishing trophy was successfully defended! :D

While most of our group of 10 targeted anything that would give them a chance,(Sunfish,Rock Bass) I honed in on Walleye and Snarfy's advice and fished the shoals in the AM/PM...spent the daytime rehydrating at dockside! We fished out of Chaudierre Lodge, great food and hospitality and you just have to love those "leaky" cedarstrips to keep your feet nice and cool.

Slim picken's the 1st morning trolling out towards the main lake until I realized the 25hp was just simply too fast for what I wanted...we must have looked a little silly back trolling dragging gold "Wally Divers" but then as we passed by the east end of Comfort Island I marked a shoal 50yrds off the east point and had something happen that took me by complete surprise (in all my years fishing Walleye) the line went completely slack, after several good cranks I was beginning to think my line had inadvertantly snapped but when it finally caught up it tightened up and I was in for a fight finally landing my 1st Walleye of the weekend...6.5lbs 27.5"! One of the barbs actually hooked the fish in the cheek and it must have took off towards the boat.
(unfortunately a photo is not forthcoming as my camera also decided to cool off in the puddle of water in the bottom of the boat)
In any event...that ousted the measly 4 lb Pike that was atop the leaderboard and to rub salt our boat topped it with 2 more 5lbers of the same species, in the same spot drifting with worm harnesses. Not exactly the constant action I was hoping for but with a little help from this board we managed to catch what we were looking for. Thanks Snarfy...PM your address and I will send you my thank you for responding to my post.

Steve
from Muskoka

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:54 am 
Walleye Angler

Great report! Glad the info was of help. I leave for the summer holidays today.
Snarfy

banner ad
banner ad