Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:27 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Started bright and early Saturday morning heading to Wellington with AD29 and Laker2011 to see if we could finally find the elusive Lake Ontario King Salmon. First catch of the day was us, by the fuzz for speeding down an empty rural 'main street' at 4am, not the best way to start the day. Undeterred we hit the wellington launch around 4:45 and there were already a few empty trailers along with a beautiful sunrise.
With no more speed limits and a relatively calm water, we floored it to the Scotch Bonnet
and before we had all lines in the first one fired. A beauty laker to start the day
AD29's new PB at 13lb 9oz I believe - he hit a watermelon spoon in running at about 50 feet.
No long after, one of the dispy's with a spin doctor and green hammer-fly fired and this time there was some crazy runs and a dog of a fight - we thought for sure this was the first salmon of the day, turned out to be Laker_2011's new PB laker at a whopping 14lb, 4oz. When clearing lines we discovered we'd been dragging around a small 2-3lb brown that came home for dinner, bonus fish!
Next up was me, down rigger fired hard I grabbed the rod - not nearly as big, but my new PB laker at 6lb 7oz I believe, he took the watermelon spoon too.
By this time the Bonnet was pretty packed with boats
and we tried some of the surrounding areas, with 180 degree turns that would make even the most seasoned "nauticians" dizzy, we managed a real cluster-fuss of a 4-line tangle with spin doctors complicating the wire-line disaster. Discouraged, but not beaten we spent about 45 minutes cutting and re-tying everything. Had the lines back out and we were headed back into the mess of boats just south of the bonnet around 11:30am. My weary eyes had no doubt when I saw the outside dipsy rod trip, this was the fish we'd been searching for all spring! With drag screaming AD29 had a hard time getting the road out of the holder. It peeled about 100-200 feet of wire out and the fight was on. I smashed about the boat clearing all the other lines and grabbed the net, nearly lost it at the boat - but the high fives were flying as we all looked in amazement at the biggest fish any of us had ever seen! Credit to AD29 for winning the fight, but we all took a pic with it because it was just such a beautiful, hard-earned fish! He hit a yellow dipsy around 50 feet with a tossed salad spin doctor and green hammer fly. 23-24lb, it wouldn't sit still on the scale! :o
Without much to keep it cool onboard, we only trolled for about another 1/2 hour - I hooked into a decent fish that surprised me when it rocketed out of the surface twice at the beginning of the fight and threw the blue/green spoon he hit. It looked to be either a large rainbow or Atlantic salmon, long and lean - looked all silver. 5/6 on the day left us all very happy and tired.
Can't wait to get out again!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:34 pm 
Walleye

Thanks for writing this up my friend! You did our first King justice! Nice work on the net and thanks for all the help with the tangles and cleaning up the mess on the boat after we boated that monster! What a day!

Oh ya and one more thing, as much as I like the sound of your name for the mixed veggie spin doctor I think you were thinking of something else when you wrote "tossed salad"!!! LOL

PS Should I not pay the speeding ticket and keep it on the boat for luck?! ;)

Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:31 pm 
Walleye Catcher

ad29 wrote:
Oh ya and one more thing, as much as I like the sound of your name for the mixed veggie spin doctor I think you were thinking of something else when you wrote "tossed salad"!!! LOL

That's too funny... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

Those are some nice looking fish. good report.sorry to hear about your speeding ticket.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:50 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice outing guys, congrats to all on a great day!

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:57 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hey Andrew glad to see you got into some. We didn't get out until around 4-4:30pm so we must have missed you. We did not fare as well, had 5 strikes and no fish to show for it. Was at the duck islands on Friday and caught some nice lakers, no salmon though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:02 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice job gents, great report I think the great salmon bug just got 3 new guys lol no place to go from here but UP. And down, and up and down and up and .. well you get the picture lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice going guys. Sounds like a great trip you'll be remebering for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:14 am 
Walleye

Thanks everyone, yes it was one heck of a day for us rookies and Grizzly you're right...we're definitely hooked for life now! Rob, that speeding ticket did suck but that's what I get for not paying attention thankfully the police officer was decent and wrote me down to 15 over in a 50 which resulted in only $50...still made for a pretty grumpy start haha but that first laker cheered me up. Glad to hear you got into some fish at Main Duck, hopefully the Salmon show up at some point!

Andrew

Last edited by ad29 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 am 
Walleye Master

Great report man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:44 am 
Guppy

Great post DL! That was an awesome day on the water for sure!! I'm sure none of us will forget our first salmon. Thanks to all the Quinte board members as well as the spoonpullers members for all of the great info and tips. A special thanks to Al aka Trannyman who gave us a lot of info and without whom this post would not have happened at least not so soon. :)

Thanks and good fishing!