Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baitcaster Newbie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:50 pm 
Walleye Master

What's the difference between the brakes and the spool tensioner. I know the spool tensioner tightens or loosens the spool, so what do the brakes do??

Would like to get this stuff figured out before I get on the water, so it's not a complete nightmare :lol:

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Post subject: Re: Baitcaster Newbie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:07 pm 
Walleye Master

look back a few pages and find a post by Fred Fisher he did a lil vidio on youtube you will find it quite intresting and helpfull its hard to type out instructions so maybe you can hook up with one of tthe many bass guys and head out on the water for a good lesson. good luck with it bud... Grizz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:25 pm 
Walleye Catcher

brakes are for major adjustments. Used when you change the weight and type of your lure. Some lures case faster than others like a spinner bait vs a spoon.

The spool tension adjuster is for minor adjustments if you backlash.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:17 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks biff. That should be enough info to get me goin. I should be able to figure out the rest on my own.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:01 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I am glad I spooled my baitcaster up with mono instead of braid for the first time - I made the classic rookie mistake by trying to fire my first cast a mile. Needless to say that was my first and last cast of the day. I have the hang of it now after a couple times out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:39 pm 
Walleye Master

http://youtu.be/nePB1tsd0O8

Here is a little video that should get you going......Fred.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:05 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks guys, but I still can't find a clear cut reason for what the brakes do. (other than what biff said) Everything I read or watch just says to set them at 50-60%, (magnetic brake) but nobody says why??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:14 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

What does brakes do on a car?Maybe on a reel it stops the spool.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:12 pm 
Walleye Master

Take 2 magnets and try placing the south pole and the north pole together and you will see that they fight one another and will not go together. This is what the magnetic kick back does in a Baitcaster. It helps to prevent the spool from going backwards causing BACK LASH...The higher the setting the more resistance the lower the setting the less resistance.....

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:23 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Walleye 9 wrote:
Thanks guys, but I still can't find a clear cut reason for what the brakes do. (other than what biff said) Everything I read or watch just says to set them at 50-60%, (magnetic brake) but nobody says why??

There is no formula for it, you will get used to tuning it to the type of lures you usually throw. Here is what i do on 2 of my baitcasters: Ardent Edge Elite and Curado

- set 1/2 the magents for the brakes out and 1/2 in.
- tighten the spool tension until you can just barely jiggle it back and forth in the reel casing with your thumb.

take an easy cast with a mid weight lure such as a rattlin spot or eerie deerie..etc feel how free the spool spins (this is the hard part as you will have to figure it out). It shouldn't free spin all the way until it hits the water. If you feel the reel still wants to spin after the lure hits the water or it over spins when you first cast, tighten the spool only until you get a good fit.

I got my first baitcaster when i was 10 years old from my Dad when they first came out. I was back at him every 2 days for another 5 bucks for more line due to birds nests i caused. you will do the same. They key is to set the brakes at somewhere "close" to where you want, then use the tensioner to make small adjustments. Then don't over cast the lure, or try to throw it to quick at first.... its a bit of a trick, but you will use your baitcaster alot once you figure it out. I use my baitcaster primarily for walleye and musky...

I am notorious for never touching the magnets, but overloosening the spool and using my thumb to control the spin. when i cast with these, my thumb is always on the spool... figuratively speaking, but you will develop a method that suits you as well.

... just get lots of cheap line :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:37 pm 
Walleye Fry

A reel servicer on another forum says best practice for bait casters is to set the spool tension just low enough that the spool has no movement side to side. Then set the brakes based on your skill with the caster. He says to never adjust the spool tension knob tighter than the setting that makes the spool not move side to side. This reduces overall wear and maximizes performance. Start with more brakes on, 4 maybe?, and realize you won't be able to cast as far as you like. Practice using your thumb to stop the reel towards the end of casts. As you get better you can reduce your brakes to 3 or 2 and practice some more. If you put in the time you will be able to bomb casts all over the place.

banner ad