Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:30 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

So this past weekend I took a couple of my students from Athens District High School on the second part of our school fishing trip to the Edu-cast High School Fishing Championship on Lake Erie. I had 2 students travelling with me to participate in the student bass tournament.

Here is a quick summary of our trip ..............

Saturday, June 23rd ............ Passed on fishing the bass openner :( Left Almonte, picked up my students in Athens and hit the road, stayed the night in Woodstock.

Sunday, June 24th ............. Up early, quick stop at Tim Horton's and headed to Turkey Point on Lake Erie for the tournament. The tournament blast off was at 7:30pm and the weigh in was at 2:30pm. The tournament was a ProAm format with one student paired with a local bass angler in their boat, 5 fish limit, fishing as a team.

One of my students paired up with tournament organizer Darren Jacko.

The weather held out and at the weigh in everyone seemed like that had a good time, learnt some new fishing techniques and caught some fish. Both my students caught a bunch of smallmouth and largemouth, but could not find the big ones, weighing in 5 fish bags in the 11 to 12 pound range. The winning weight was a 18.5 pound bag of smallies!!

End of a great day!!

After the tournament we went for a Lake Erie perch dinner at Port Dover and headed for Toronto where we stayed the night.

Monday, June 25th ...... During our first school trip at the end of May our salmon charter was cancelled due to rain and high winds. So we had rescheduled for June 25th. The wind forecast was not looking great, but we decided to give it a try fishing the Toronto Islands area where we would be some what sheltered from the North winds.

We met our charter Greg Amiel (fishing4tails), who we have used for the past 3 years, at 5:30am at the marina and after a quick safety briefing, we were off. After a short ride and setting up our spread |(2 riggers, 2 wire dipseys, 1 copper and 1 lead core) with a mix of spoons, attractors and flies and meat, we were trolling by 5:45am. With the north wind blowing we didn't have high hopes for a banner day, but hoped to land a few before the winds picked up later in the day.

It didn't take long to get into a few fish and by 6:05am we had boated 3 small chinook salmon. As we continued trolling we hit our first double header, we ended up with 3 double headers by the end of the day.

For the first few hours we had steady action and the fish size improved, with several nice 20 plus pound chinook and a nice 10 pound steelhead.

A little slimy hitch hiker that was on one of my 25 pound chinook.

Both of my students out did me on big fish, his first time salmon fishing and a long battle ................... yields a beauty the just hits the 30 pound mark.

After about an hour with no action our 300 foot copper rod goes off the break the quiet, a minute or 2 later the leadcore fires!!!! doubleheader!!!! A couple minutes later off goes the wire dipsey rod!!! TRIPLEHEADER!!!!! After a few long battles ............... THREE KINGS !!!!

Not to be out done .... my other student finishes off the day with his PB just under 33 pounds.

All in all a great day on the water, we landed 17 chinook, 1 steelhead and lost 5 fish.

School fishing is done for another year, now its my time to fish!! Bass and salmon here we come.

Thanks for reading.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:22 am 
Walleye Master

Wow! What a trip.

Good for you for taking time out of your personal life for the students. Im sure you know but it will create memories for a life time and help shape them into the adult they will become. Great work!

Greg is a first notch guy and an even better fisherman. That guy is a machine!! Well done out there. Two fish over 30, 3 doubles, and a triple??! Wow!! What a day and what and experience . Way to go Greg.

Scott

Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk 2

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:28 am 
Walleye

Awesome stuff Jim. I wish I had a teacher like yourself when I was in school. Those kids will remember this for the rest of their lives. Sure beats X-Box.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:23 am 
Walleye Master

agreed, well done Jim. And Greg is a helluva guy and is a top notch angler/guide. Cant wait to chase some kings this week

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:54 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been out with Greg 4 or 5 times in the last couple years we always have a blast. The students had the time of their lives.

I'm stuck with the Honey Do List this week, but I am planning on making a trip or two down to Wellington for salmon the second week of July, weather permitting.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:48 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Good Job Jim, nice to see teens out doing something rather than sitting on the couch, hopefully they can pass on what they've learned and keep the passion, cudoos to you buddy.
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:31 am 
Walleye Master

Nice Jim, a great memory and good times for all.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad