Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I mucked up
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:38 am 
Walleye

Was fishing near some slop and weeds with the granddaughters and got blown into some heavy crap while trying to help them. Had to power out and picked up a plastic grain sack around the prop. There's a fair bit of duck hunting in the area so I figure someone was feeding prior to opening and lost this one. I had to cut it off the prop and afterwards had very limited flow through the water pump at high speed. I had good flow at low speed and got off the water alright, when I restarted at the launch to put it back on the trailer I seemed to have good flow at all speeds so I'm wondering if I may have picked up that much muck that I temporarily plugged up the water pump or pick ups. I've never heard of that so I'm wondering if anyone else has or should I invest in a rebuild for my waterpump just to be safe. Thanks for any info.

Post subject: Re: I mucked up
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:10 am 
Walleye Angler

A new water pump is not a significant investment, it should be well under 200$ at the very most, and should be done as regular maintenance every year.

Getting debris stuck in your water intake system is not uncommon. 95% of the time the junk will flush itself out, other times you may need someone to manually flush and clear the intake and valves.

As long as you have good water pressure and temps at idle and at speed…….I wouldn’t worry about it. What you would look for is any abnormal temp or water pressure, a blockage would generally cause high temps and low pressure whereas a stuck valve would give low temps and high pressure (which is very bad = cold seize) .

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:29 am 
Walleye Master

You should be fine. I think a new waterpump every year as normal maintenance is way overkill. Change it when it goes bad

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm 
Walleye Fry

Probably was muck/weeds/junk in the water lines, not the pump itself. If it's returned to good flow at all speeds that would be best bet. No reason to change the pump.

banner ad
banner ad