Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:27 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lund...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:26 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm looking for some feedback on Lund boats...

I'm considering selling my beloved bass boat and going with a Lund package.

Right now, the top of my list and the best options for me are;

1) 1810 Predator with a 125 Opti.

2) 1775 Imapact with a 125 Opti.

Now my understanding is that Lund are pretty much the king of aluminum boats. A warranty would be awesome of course but I'm very hesitant cause I've always wanted a bass boat so making the decision to jump is killing me. I currently have a 19' Nitro Savage with a 200 that I love for speed, fishability and doing the odd tournaments.

A somewhat local store are expecting their shipment of 2013 models within the next couple of weeks. However, they did not order any Predators and this is what I'm leaning towards. The Impact is very nice but I'm thinking a little too deep for the bass fisher in me and as I've been told, can catch the wind very easily making it harder to stay put in weeds.

I have a great opportunity but big decision to make so I'd appreicate input and if anyone has expereince to share with these 2 particular models, all the better.

Cheers,

Paul

Post subject: Re: Lund...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:09 pm 
Guppy

I have a 2012 Impact.

You are correct, it does catch wind because of the height (I have the sport model with the full windshield), but I am comparing this to my buddies Ranger that doesn't budge in the wind. I upgraded mine to a 24V minnkota (default is 12v 55lb) to combat this (I threw a pair of 29 group batteries in for it). I troll alot (downrigging, etc), so the boat suits me perfectly. Deep enough to be comfortable on a windy day, but not too deep. I need 14 inches of water to float.

The boat ride is dry and very comfortable. Easily converts to a family boat (wakeboarding, cruising), or switch to trout or bass mode.

Many options to choose from that Lund offers. Look through the book, many are very nice to add (cargo netting, swim platform that goes over the rear splash well, pro-ride seats are a must have!, sportrak brackets, etc).

I was looking at the Lund catalogue yesterday....some features not offered for the 2012's, but they now have for the 2013's are sweet! I am getting some ordered by the dealer over the winter (full carpeted splashpan cover for starters).

I ditched the $500 option of he flip up rear bench seat. I got a local guy to make my a cushion for the rear bench, so I have increased floor space (I troll alot, so thats nice to have), and the wifey has a place to lie down/sleep/tan.

Anything else just ask!

legacy wrote:
I'm looking for some feedback on Lund boats...

I'm considering selling my beloved bass boat and going with a Lund package.

Right now, the top of my list and the best options for me are;

1) 1810 Predator with a 125 Opti.

2) 1775 Imapact with a 125 Opti.

Now my understanding is that Lund are pretty much the king of aluminum boats. A warranty would be awesome of course but I'm very hesitant cause I've always wanted a bass boat so making the decision to jump is killing me. I currently have a 19' Nitro Savage with a 200 that I love for speed, fishability and doing the odd tournaments.

A somewhat local store are expecting their shipment of 2013 models within the next couple of weeks. However, they did not order any Predators and this is what I'm leaning towards. The Impact is very nice but I'm thinking a little too deep for the bass fisher in me and as I've been told, can catch the wind very easily making it harder to stay put in weeds.

I have a great opportunity but big decision to make so I'd appreicate input and if anyone has expereince to share with these 2 particular models, all the better.

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

I had a Princecraft 179 with a 150 before my Ranger and it was a good boat, but they don't ride anywhere near as good as a fibreglass boat. I rode in Lund Pro V a few years ago and it was a rough ride, I didn't like it at all. If I were looking for a deep V boat I would go for something like John White has, you have been in it and they are a sweet ride, but veeery pricey!!

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:54 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

you should check out the princecraft line up,fantastic boats and all made in canada.I owned the pro v 186 with a 90 e tec and it is a top quality boat that gives any lund a run for the money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:02 pm 
Guppy

Lund. great fishing boat..... fibreglass . great in rough water..aka BOQ in the fall.........Princecraft..all around the best purchase you will ever make!!!

just my thoughts
B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 pm 
Walleye Catcher

For aluminum boats i always thought Crestliner was the best "bang for your buck". I han quite a talk with the guys at Wards marine about the Princecraft line and i must say that i don't think they get enough credit for their product. They are made with some of the strongest aluminum (not the thickness) on the market. There is a big difference between strength and thickness. Good luck in your decision

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I can't comment on the 2 models as i haven't owned either. I did just trade in my LUND Classic sport for a Ranger Reata. You just cant compare the 2 rides. The reata is a far better ride, wider, more stable, better in the waves and a deep hull to boot !

I do love lund, if you like Fibreglass, but want the deep hull style, check out the reata or the fisherman series.

just my .02

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:55 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks everyone...

I won a 16' Lund Fury SS package but can upgrade to another Lund model. So at this time, Lund is pretty much my only option if I make the jump.

Everyday I make a different decision...sell the Fury, keep the Nitro and the upgrade electronics and do some house renos; sell the Nitro, upgrade to a bigger Lund model etc.

Great decision to have but it's a tough one!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:46 am 
Walleye

Paul...just catching the thread and though I would add my comments for you.

I have owned Lunds for the past 20yrs thereabouts. Upgraded my 1625 Rebel to the new 1875 Crossover and absolutely love it. Have the 150 Merc 4S and elected to go with thier factory 9.9 Pro Kicker instead of the bow mounted trolling motor as I primarily troll Lake Trout up here in Muskoka and Walleye whenever I can.
One thing I am glad I upgraded was hydrolic steering...I often fish alone and can litterally spend time away from the helm setting up line/riggers etc without worrying about spinning in circles.

I upgraded the seats to Pro Ride and what a difference that makes on the ride. I am impressed with the boat in rough water and especially coming out of the hole. The reason I went with the Crossover was to satisfy my wife and Grandkids as it easily converts to a nice pleasure ride.

Lund's ProTrak system is great for adjusting rod holders and riggers along the gunwale and I simply haven't found enough stuff to store in the ample compartments...I was looking at the Impact but elected to go with the Crossover.

An interesting story about my trade though...I had a guy up here interested in buying my boat and the dealer agreed to sell it to him saving me the trip hauling to the dealer but he wanted a test ride. Heading out a channel on my lake in early spring at pretty much full speed when I struck a submerged deadhead that was at a 45 degree angle with 1 end still firmly planted in the bottom. The impact nearly sent his son overboard...when we got back and examined the hull damage it was extensive but didn't take on water or effect the performance. Had a boat repair guy come look at it, told me that if this were a glass boat we likely would have been swimming, praised the tough construction of Lund and advised me to do nothing. With the potential purchaser standing there we adjusted my trade price and he admitted later that hitting that log as hard as we did and listening to what the repair guy said about the Lund it ended up being a selling feature.

They are 1 tough boat with a decent warranty to back it up.

Good luck with your decission.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 am 
Walleye

And Congrats on your Win by the way!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:40 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks Steve...I've never heard anything bad about Lund and your expereince just reinforces that.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Paul,
If you decide to sell the nitro and get the lund I just had a look at the 2 models and I would go with the impact. Bigger fuel tank, bigger beam and I like the layout better and if you plan on doing alot of eye trolling then the double console model which allows you the option of stand up top and getting out of the weather. If you're not going to do alot of eye fishn then the single console is the way to go. It will feel like a much bigger boat without it. good luck on your decision and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:04 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I like the Impact and the only thing I am certain about is that I'd go with a single console.

Will do. :)

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:29 pm 
Perch

i don't know about lund anymore.i had a lund angler ss with a 135 merc until it was stolen .i guess someone liked it more than me.it had a lot of room but that was it, rough ride,leaking all the time which meant bilge pump on all the time.it didn't hurt my feelings any that it was stolen .now i have a tracker tundra 18 dc ,love the boat nice ride and tons of storage.if you want a good lund you have to get a older model or spend alot of money and go to their pro series.fishing the boq all my life the new ones in my opion wouldn't hold up on those rough days.my 2 cent's worth.and by the way i took very good care of that boat .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:51 pm 
Walleye Master

the "pro" series of lunds are much better constructed than the standard line.

definitely.