Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 5:22 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bass Pro to Kingston
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:25 pm 
Walleye Master

Since it looks like most of the local tackle retailers are involved in this thread, i am going to ask.

Why do more retailers not have pro- staff programs, that work on the post recession plan, these are very popular in the states.

post recession plan is give a modest discount, around 25% on any product, or if threw a direct manufacturer you get products at what they sell them to there re-tailors for.

The company still makes a small profit, and in return gets advertising threw logo's on jersey's, posts/ signatures on local fishing forums, guys to help out at trade shows (sportsman shows)

I would love to spend my tackle budget locally, getting a discount on it means i can buy better gear, i might be the only guy that feels that way, but i am sure there is other's. my budget is based on how much over time i am able to work the fall before, so i try and stretch it as much as i can.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:48 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Fireball if the local retailers give 25% they might as well just give the product away,when there is hardly any markup to begin with.What part of there is no 100% mark up like you said before do you not get.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Being in Kingston and having supported many of the local B&T shops that have come and gone, I gotta say I'm excited hearing that something may be coming this way.

My Dad lives about 10 minutes away from Pro Tackle and although whenever I've stopped in I've never introduced myself; that will change next time, I've had amazing experiences there. Everyone has been extremely helpful and there's always the tackle I'm looking for and then some.

I will admit, I do a BPS run every spring but find that I usually buy things like rod and reel covers, lure wraps etc. It's more of a once a year Father / Son adventure and spend most of my money locally when I can.

Having said that, there have been a lot of B&T shops in Kingston...I can remember buying stuff at; Rod and Gun, Kingston Outdoors, Frontenac Bait, Portsmouth Harbour (years ago there was a bait & tackle shop in it), Division B&T (I think that's what it was called and was only open for maybe 2 months), Collins Bay (small store beside Legion), Tackle Guy at C&R Shop, Howes...these are those I most remember. It's amazing that this town hasn't been able to support a B&T place.

As someone mentioned about the minnow bubblers...the noise of those are music to my ears. As a kid and having a co-op placement at Bakers, I'd make lures and deal with customers so every day was like Christmas. Hearing the bubblers bring back a lot of memories.

If BPS or the likes does come to Kingston, sure I'll shop there but will continue to stop in local stores wherever I go...those are the places you find out the most, have people eager to help and will always help out local events.

To those local shops out there; thanks for keeping us dreaming and the time and energy you spend to keep us going and growing with our sport.

BTW - Pro Tackle had the best worm harnesses EVER! ;)

Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:07 am 
Walleye Wisdom

fireball wrote:
Since it looks like most of the local tackle retailers are involved in this thread, i am going to ask.

Why do more retailers not have pro- staff programs, that work on the post recession plan, these are very popular in the states.

post recession plan is give a modest discount, around 25% on any product, or if threw a direct manufacturer you get products at what they sell them to there re-tailors for.

The company still makes a small profit, and in return gets advertising threw logo's on jersey's, posts/ signatures on local fishing forums, guys to help out at trade shows (sportsman shows)

I would love to spend my tackle budget locally, getting a discount on it means i can buy better gear, i might be the only guy that feels that way, but i am sure there is other's. my budget is based on how much over time i am able to work the fall before, so i try and stretch it as much as i can.

Retailers are far better off to support local events in their market and build name recognition/reputation for the store, rather than just offer discounts to a few select "pro staff". Someone who wins a prize off a table will most likely remember where it came from and will come in to check out the store and maybe become a regular customer. Thats who smaller outlets want to support, the regular loyal customer. More bang for the buck.

Manufacturers do prostaff deals to get their new products out on the market and generate awareness. Someone see's a big fish (or bag of fish) caught and their question is what did you use to catch it, not where do you buy your gear. You want a prostaff deal, all you have to do is build a huge portfolio of pictures showing your success in catching big fish consistantly. Tornament wins, reputation as a guide, posts on forums all build your prostaff resume. Then you have to pitch a company and convince them that by offering you discounts on gear that you will be able to generate brand awareness and provide publicity to them that exceeds the $$ value of the sponsorship items. One thing you said was bang on though. There are lots of guys out there who would love to have a prostaff deal to cut down on the cost of their fishing gear. Lots. Let the competition begin. :lol:

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:43 am 
Walleye Angler

I am a bit of a cynic when it comes to 'endorsed' tackle I am afraid.....Having a 'name' endorse a tackle item and say it the best things since sex is a pretty good reason for me not to buy it. Now if one of my buddies, who is not Pro-staff, just a regular experienced angler, was to say a particular brand/item/lure etc he had bought was a good investment and 'walked the walk'...that is an endorsement I CAN believe in.....

Be happy, take care, enjoy!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 pm 
Walleye Angler

Lotsa great comments here from consumer and retailers and well, I think the tally would be that there are mixed feelings like mine about BPS arriving here in Kingston.
I want to address those that want to see more pro staff programs from retailers. I don't think some know what's "ALL" involved with being sponsored or rep'ing.
It's not just getting a nice logoed shirt with your name also embossed, sporting decals on your boat and vehicle, it's work!, being sponsored is a job and whatever you receive in items and/or a discount that's your pay, you don't deserve to be payed for just looking good and get free stuff.
Rep's and pro staffers are advertisements walking, talking, "promoteing all the time". There are trade shows to attend as well as maybe even host a few seminars so knowing your sponsors products is a must!, also spending time assisting your sponsor at his shop whenever possible is a big help too.
Not trying to hijack the thread or rag any particular person, it was mentioned and I thought I'd comment as I've done this rep and sponsored thing a number of times over many years. Even when I had my own outfitters I was literally harrassed to pro staff guys and few had the experience and it was easy to see they just wanted to look the part and/or get discounts and free products
It's nice to get assistance with our expensive habit so if a sponsorship in any size or form comes your way show your appreciation, and knock your ass off to help promote him/her...what they give you is out of their pocket.

Pro Staff- Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Canadian Rep/Distributor Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Pros Staff- Woo Tungston
Pro Staff- Liquid Mayhem
Pro Staff- Gino's Pizza & Spahgetti

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:55 pm 
Walleye Master

my experience with our local shops in hamilton is the investment vs return on a "pro staffer" deal isn't worth it.

sponsoring events being a much stronger return than sponsoring individuals.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:00 am 
Walleye Angler

Your quite right there Steve, it's pretty much the big corporates that may do the full monty, and without the big stats you won't make the cut.
For the smaller idependant retailer by word of mouth is a great tool as well as you say, sponsoring or co-sponsoring local events is the way to go for the investment return.
A lot of tackle manufacturers and dealers are offering a discount on products with a pro satff program(s), so if you want to get on board go to their sites and fill out their questionaire, alot of T anglers have done so and been successful in getting the 30 to 60%...then down the road..who knows...
As far as BPS in Kingston, the prices will not be any better but there will be a broader selection to choose from as well as new products will probably be more readily available, but, support your local guy if at all possible, he'll go to the wall for you if he can.

Pros Staff- Woo Tungston
Pro Staff- Liquid Mayhem

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:41 pm 
Walleye

steve-hamilton wrote:
with our sail in burlington, i'll never go to bass pro again.

its just an outdoor flea market, with mostly garbage, while sail has a ton of hard to find, quality baits!

Me too. Agree 100% 8)

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

My nearest Sail is in Ottawa...haven't been yet but looking forward to a road trip there soon, also stopping in again at paddletales in Wichester.

Pros Staff- Woo Tungston
Pro Staff- Liquid Mayhem

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am 
Guppy

i work in a truck shop the contractor who will break ground at division street for the future bass pro and we r also going to see a sail store in the next few years out by lowes u wont find anything online beacause permits r not isseud yet but expect to c them digging in spring

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:16 am 
Walleye

LOVE my BPS :D ecstatic that there is one in Ontario :o

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:31 pm 
Walleye

Of all the big "fish/hunt/camp" stores....Cabela's is by far my favorite. I find my self ordering allot of harder to find stuff from them through the year. I recently ordered one the infamous Guidewear gortex rain suits. They are on a limited time sale right now on the amercian cabelas site for those who are interested....similar to the BPS 100 mph suits but without all the HUGE logos and nicer suit all round IMO....should last me the rest of my life. Only problem is no store in Ontario. I have family in Massachusetts so getting around the huge shipping/duty is not a problem but it's so much easier to actually hold something in your hands before you buy it. There have been allot of rumors about one opening up in the Vaughn area near BPS so I emailed them. Got a response today....

Thank you for your recent email.

Cabela's Canada has just announced a new store opening in Regina, SK. There are no other new store announcements at this time. All new store announcements will made available on our website http://www.cabelas.ca.

Should you have any further questions, please call us at 1-800-265-6245 where a Customer Service Representative will be able to assist you further.

Cabela's Canada
1-800-265-6245
http://www.cabelas.ca

Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:52 AM
To: info
Subject: Toronto store?

When are you going to open a store in the Toronto area? I love Cabelas but I can only order online.

Too bad so sad. They would put a HUGE dent in BPS market share.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:23 pm 
Perch

i'm here in saskatoon sask.where we have a cabelas and fishing all my life and knowing a pile of hunters out here the place is not all that.over priced not that much of a selection we go to a smaller dealer or go over to bps in calgary.beautiful store, tons of stuff to choose from and a short drive to the mountains ,that there is a plus.edmonton has a cabelas that is no better than the one in saskatoon.thats just not me saying that it's also all the guys i know that hunt's and fish.good luck this fall i wish i could be there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:54 am 
Walleye

Sorry to hear that Haber. I wonder if the Canadian Cabelas stores out West are just "satellite" shops. The only one I have been to is in Hartford and is similar in size to the BPS in Vaughn ( I'm pretty sure BPS stole their store model as they look/feel very similar and Cabelas was around at least 10 years prior.) Prices were fair...but in US dollars.....I notice quite a discrepancy between the US and Canadian sites prices. Regardless...I will continue to order online as I like their products. The fishing/boating section of BPS leaves allot to be desired.....they do carry some decent clothing though.

banner ad
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
banner ad