Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hydro Plants
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:37 pm 
Guppy

I was listening to 680 news today and they were talking about the two Gas Power Hydro Plants that they are relocating from Mississauga & Oakville. They were talking about the expense to the tax payers and how we were misinformed about the total cost. But mixed in all the BS was where it was being relocated to "Bath Ontario". Did I hear that rite ? Does anyone know what type of effect this will have on the fishery we all love? Pollutants , Water Temps etc.
I'm sure the locals would have been in the loop so if anyone has any feedback I'd like to educate myself prior to making any stupid or hasty comments.
I googled it and what I was reading as to why it was squashed in those other city's didn't sound to promising.

Post subject: Re: Hydro Plants
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:55 am 
Perch

well gas power plants emit very little pollutants. water is used for steam and cooling and is just circulated. as we know we all have natural gas furnaces and the new ones don't even need a chimney just a plastic vent.the issue here is everyone thinks every power plant pollutes thinking nuclear which dosn't pollute but the waste is hard to get rid of. just like the windmills everyone is worried but they had them in holland for centuries no effects. but smoking 3 packs a day is ok but dont pollute my air it might kill me. it was politics not people that caused this. don't worry it will soon be over.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:36 am 
Walleye Master

your a smart man walleye5.

i agree 100%.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Admin

Tattoo Man,
Yes you heard right the relocation is to Bath/Napane. From what I have heard they are going to retrofit or build on the same site as the exisiting power plant at bath. Thats the one located right at the gap. I dont have any concerns and it will generate a small number of permenant jobs after the construction is done along with the many jobs created to do the construction.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:48 am 
Guppy

Thanks for everyone's input. As usual hunters and fisherman have their fingers on the pulse of the environment. I'm glad to hear that it shouldn't affect our World Class Fishery. Not to mention the job creation and in today's economy that's a good thing.
Tight lines

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:36 pm 
Walleye Master

natural gas is the way of the future, we all know the benefits with better efficiency and costs. Unfortunately Russia holds most of it. We do have a lot of reserves in Canada ( 20th) in the world but a lot depends on what actual rights we gain in the next few years in the Arctic region. ( which we should have most of...imo) Once the pipe lines are built from the tar sands, for refineries in the US and soon China/Russia, Canada will be the "price setter" in energy costs for a majority of the population. ( this should be a great thing for Canada and the world)...Hopefully, we will be in a position to not allow the sky rocketing prices of energy and take pressure off everyone using the "petro dollar"( google it)

. That is my hope anyways,( politicians and lobbyist have a hell of a time screwing up my hopes).....

This is coming from an "energy guy"..

Randy

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:48 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I want a job there if they move it to Bath!!!! lol
Work and play in heaven instead of..... work in hell and drive to play in heaven!!!

Dont get me wrong, I love where I live but driving west toward the big smoke sucks at any time of day!!!

banner ad