Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:37 am 
Guppy

Hello all,

Just looking for reasonably safe launching options close to the reach. Coming from Napanee area and used to use the launch next to the Glenora ferry however was there on thanksgiving weekend and launch is unusable to anyone using a larger boat. Just looking for other options close to that area. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:04 am 
Walleye Master

Finkle park (just west of bath) or colins bay, both being a pain in the butt to launch at right now.
Very low water, i wouldn't power load/launch any where right now.

Haven't been to glenora area, but take the ferry across and launch in picton or on the west side there is launch as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:50 pm 
Perch

Has anyone launched at Deseronto? I was thinking the same thing with the water levels. I have a 23' grew and used deseronto on opening but havent been back since. Was thinking of trying my luck tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

We were at glenora last weekend (Oct 13) and its good. 22ft, 2500lbs and no problems.

We too had problems at glenora in September, however the water is so low, that the previous 'problem section' is almost out of the water.

Last edited by MattClapp on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:12 pm 
Walleye Catcher

you can always count on the picton launch regardless of water level. Never any problems launching there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:54 pm 
Guppy

Glenora marine launch is horrible, but do-able as a last resort!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:42 pm 
Guppy

After we struck out at Glenora ferry we used deseronto that night. Still shallow but had no problems getting the boat off or on and getting out into the bay. Just wondering when you were at Glenora last weekend, was the water even up to the dock yet? The weekend we were there the water was about 4 feet further out than the dock. The steel grate was totally out of the water. Not a recomendation if you have a big or heavy boat with a deep hull. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:18 pm 
Walleye

As for launching at Deseronto with a 23' grew that I am assuming has an inboard, it may be a problem.
Thanks to the powerloaders there is a big hump about 5-10 ft back from where your boat would slide off the trailer. The launch area closest to the dock is pretty much screwed for anyone wanting to put a bigger boat in. There is more depth tight to the dock so you have to get your boat right tight to the dock after it comes off the trailer or you will be stuck on bottom. There may be more depth more over to the far side of the launch I am not sure but you will need a long rope to get your boat back to the dock. I am sure the powerloaders will be here to defend themselves but what is so difficult about backing your trailer in a little farther and using the winch that is on the trailer that is what it is there for.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:24 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I have a 14 foot mirrocraft so am i a power loader ? but its not the power loaders it's the low water that hole has been there for years. The ice in the winter would move that bottom coming off the concrete and so would repetitive loading in low water. The main problem is the launch is collecting money but the town is not maintaining it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:48 pm 
Walleye Master

ChugBug262 wrote:
I have a 14 foot mirrocraft so am i a power loader ? but its not the power loaders it's the low water that hole has been there for years. The ice in the winter would move that bottom coming off the concrete and so would repetitive loading in low water. The main problem is the launch is collecting money but the town is not maintaining it.

I kinda mentioned this in a previous post about people wanting to complain to the government about poor boat launch conditions, and blaming "power loading" Some of these launches have been around for years, without there ever being a concern. Is there really anything wrong with these launches, or is just the fact that the water is low. I don't think the government is going to put in a concrete pad 100 feet long, so you can back in half way across the lake when the water is low.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:28 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Pryners launch ramp is OK, the water is low but you should be able to get your boat in, theree's not drop off at the end of the cement pad.

It's on the county side of Adolphus Reach.

The low water is a problem for larger boats launching anywhere, cept Picton.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:39 pm 
Walleye

ChugBug262 wrote:

I realize the water is low which just glorifies the problems with the launches. It is not hard to figure out what caused the big hump at the deseronto launch. Sure the town should be maintaing the launch,but even with the water being low there is plenty of depth for the boat to come off the trailer it is the hump that is directly behind your boat when you unload,especially with a big boat. As far as just coming down with a back hoe or excavator and scooping out that rock it aint that easy. The enviroment guys don't let you just go and start digging in the lake whenever you please they make you wait for permits. You would need a backhoe with quite an awful long boom to reach out and get that hump taken care of,you would probably need an excavator which is going to cost more to have the work done. I will make a call to the town of Deseronto next week and address the issue as there will be alot of people wanting to use this launch for the next month or so, but I doubt it will be even fixed by spring if it even gets fixed at all. The launch is perfect except for that hump, which is a shame.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:43 pm 
Guppy

If you could give a little more direction for the Pryners launch I would greatly appreciate it. Just looking for a ramp thats a little closer to the reach than deseronto.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:05 pm 
Walleye Angler

shark4444 wrote:
After we struck out at Glenora ferry we used deseronto that night. Still shallow but had no problems getting the boat off or on and getting out into the bay. Just wondering when you were at Glenora last weekend, was the water even up to the dock yet?

2 feet deep at the end of the small dock.

I'm trying Deseronto tomorrow morning; will post back.

Shark; what make/model are you running?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:40 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Directions to Pryners:

You can take the road to Lake of the Mountain, just before the ferry off Rte 33, it's number is County Road 7 and follow it until you come to a fork and the left road says no exit, take that one and keep right and you'll hit the little park - North Marysburgh.

Hope that helps.

David aka Superdad

banner ad