banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:18 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Wierdest walleye catch for me yet! Sunday after i made a turn....my 1 board went back for just a second as i came out of the turn. So i continued to make a full pass(probably a half to 3/4 of a mile). Decided it was time to change out colours. When i started to reel in the board felt a little heavy. Released the board and handed off the rod to my buddy....i said bring it in ...while i keep the boat straight. He says its heavy too.....must have picked up a gob of weeds. 35yards behind the boat...whoa head shakes. 1 minute later 9lb 60z er in the net! Anyone ever had a walleye just swim along that far with the bait and not know he is hooked?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 am 
Walleye

yup, need to watch and remember what the board is like when placed in the water and than any thing out from ordinary bring it in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 am 
Walleye Catcher

Yep, that's all I've experienced this fall. Only got 3 so far, and all 3 swam right along with the lure in their mouth - didn't trip the dipsy, didn't release the down rigger and didn't pull the board release....and I WAS staring at the board/rod the whole time. One was over 9lbs too :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 am 
Walleye Master

of our six walleye on Friday/Saturday, I was able to detect five of the six on the boards....

of course, that's with three boards out per side, so you can really notice a change...plus I run virtually the same spread (different lures, same spread) all the time, so I can really notice a change.

once hooked, they will certainly swim with the bait...often for an hour or so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 pm 
Walleye Master

Lots of times, especially using bigger boards that dig more than the lighter ones.

Also seems to be bigger eyes have a tendency to follow.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:48 pm 
Walleye Master

Yes i have seen this many times. I fished the Closa derby this year with Al " Trannyman " and Tim " Tylercurt " and had the winning fish swimming along with us for a while before i realized he was on. I have been playing with the tattle flags and am finding them kind of cool. Even when they swim with the board every once in a while you will see that flag drop even for a quick min and you know there is one on the line. I find it hard after you been pulling for an hour if that board is still were it was when i set it. With the tattle flag i notice that when you make a turn the slack board with the flag will signal every time. I think when the line drops slack they feel free and make a run for it.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 pm 
Walleye Master

you are correct Fred.

my trick is to do an inside turn, reducing the drag on the boards, and the board which I think a fish "may" be on...with an inside turn, they should all set back to an even line....when one drags back, there's my hint.

same works for the outside turn...they start really pulling, and the weight from the fish, although not fighting, will cause that board to drop back a touch bit further...

this is the reason I started enjoying the browns much more...i'll set up the same spread however no issues knowing if a fish is on....

walleye sure can be boring! (but taste oh so good - and I WANT a 16lbs'er!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:04 pm 
Baitfish

would the tattle flag help that problem ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 pm 
Walleye Master

Happened to me once. Was pulling in to switch up lures, and after I unclipped the board, I felt a bit of resistance, and thought I might of had a small one on. No head shakes..... nothing. With about 15 feet left on the linecounter, I then realized I had one on. Ended up being 9.2 pounds.

I have a hard time reading the boards sometimes, because I only have 1 off each side. As mentioned earlier, if you have 2 or 3 off each side, you may notice a change in the spread when you get a hit. I'll set my drag loose, (just enough so the planer board won't pull drag) and if I hear a bit of a zing on the linecounter, that usually tells me there might be something there, whether it be a small fish or weeds.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm 
Walleye Master

That's absolutely right Steve. I do the same thing as you do and i find when the line goes slack the fish will often drop back or turn and when you pull the board up tight again you see he is there. In regards to your question Murny this is what i find with the tattle flags. Often you will get weeds on a board causing it to drop back making you think there is a fish there. With a tattle flag there is slack in the line at the board so that when a fish hits it pulls the line causing the flag to drop. When a flag drops something has pulled on the LINE and often you can see a light strike when the flag drops for a quick sec and then comes back up. When it goes down and stays down GRAB THAT ROD. LoL

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 pm 
Guppy

I also had the same thing Sunday morning. I decided to bring a board id to change up and I knew the board wasn't supposed to be that heavy and thought tht I was snaged on my outside line. Nope, a nice fat 8.5 lber. In the wind we had, it was very hard to notice anything suttle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:42 am 
Walleye Fingerling

hhhmmmm. Obviously not as wierd as i thought then! you guys have experienced this as well. It was hard to detect in the wind on Sunday and with only one board per side. I thinks some new flags will do the trick ... thanks guys! Tight Lines!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:45 am 
Walleye Fingerling

By the way! The guy with the white lund....your white boards are impossible to see in white caps out there..Wouldn't hurt to but a little colour on them bad boys! Just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:01 am 
Walleye Catcher

[quote="walleye whisperer"] I thinks some new flags will do the trick ... quote]
Tattle flags are very helpful. Everything you need is already on the stock offshore boards, just add a spring, washer and piece of wire. Here's the guide I followed, works great:
http://perchjerker0.tripod.com/home%20made%20tattle%20flags.htm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 am 
Walleye Fingerling

Thanks DL ! I appreciate that !