Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Fishing Regs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:49 pm 
Walleye Master

Was looking at the Regs trying to find out what happens if you catch a fish outside of the slot, but it dies. From what I've read, it is illegal to release a dead fish, or a fish that doesn't seem like it's going to survive, but on the other hand, you can't keep it if it is outside the slot. Seems alot of the smaller walleye like to swallow the bait right down to their tail, especially on live bait rigs. Not really an issue on Quinte because there is no "bottom" slot, but Zone 17 has a bottom slot. I would imagine this must happen quite often ice fishing with tip ups also. I guess cutting the line would be the answer, but if it doesn't swim away healthy, you're in the wrong.

Post subject: Re: Fishing Regs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:57 pm 
Walleye Master

to me i guess it would be a case of the lesser of two evils lol ........ id put it back even if i knew it was going to die because im sure trying to explain to the MNR that i had to keep it because it was going to die excuse has been used many times lol and propably to no good like always. the fish is NEVER worth the fine! even if you know in your heart your just trying to do the right thing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:02 pm 
Walleye Master

Ya Grizz, I would never keep it and risk a fine for a fish. But still, the other option of relaeasing it is just as bad according the rules. Unless I've misread something. I'm going to give the MNR a call and see what they have to say. Also, in Zone 17 the top slot is roughly 19 inches, so there are alot of walleye that need to be returned to the water.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

If it is outside the slot you have to release it whether it lives or dies.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:59 pm 
Walleye Angler

Ya its tricky with a slot, I have brought this question and other similar questions up to the MNR and their response was "immediate release" for any out of season or out of slot fish, it started quite a S%@! storm on another site when I posted this response because the interpretation that was given to me pretty much indicated immediate release meant no pictures etc. Don't want to reignite that conversation here but I guess similar to what Griz said, the COs have probably heard a million excuses for over limit, out of slot fish in possession etc so they need a hard and fast rule. Just like many things in life idiots have ruined it for an honest common sense solution. And I guess even if a fish is bleeding bad there is still a chance of survive if its in the water but if it goes in the box then it has no chance.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:48 am 
Walleye Master

Page #9 Ontario's Catch and Retain Rules states....

"Releasing a fish that will not survive and allowing the flesh of that fish to be wasted is an offence. ANY FISH NOT LIVE-RELEASED ARE PART OF YOUR DAILY CATCH AND RETAIN LIMIT."

I spoke with MNR today and was told if the fish is over/under slot size, or out of season, it must be released, alive or dead. A little contradicting, but that's the law.

banner ad
banner ad