Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:21 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 pm 
Walleye Angler

I picked up an old 35 yr old Élan for the ice fishing season and was wondering ( since my insurance company didn't know the answer), I have no intent on riding on trails or street sides but strictly on frozen bay with no other rider on board . Do I still need insurance ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:29 pm 
Walleye Master

As far as I know, whether you have insurance or not, as soon as you hit the frozen lake, you're not insured. Same as a vehicle I believe. So, I'd say no.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:31 pm 
Walleye Master

you might want it if you run someone over in there hut during a snow storm lol or if you put it thru thin ice. this is why they call it insurance lol . maybe you should call the cop shop and ask them because the bay is a public place and they would be the ones giving you a ticket i would think if you owned a farm and never left the farm no insurance would be required . but hey. im not an insurance sales man and even they couldnt answer your question lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:34 pm 
Walleye Master

Very good question Tint. Here is what we had happen last winter. My buddy got and old Elan SS and he tried to get insurance on it just to ice fish and they would not cover it. I Don't Know Why. Any way he went over to Big Island and run out to his spot and the MNR pulled up with the OPP and he was charged for no insurance and no helmet. They also told him that he could be charged the minute he unloaded it as he has to go on the road to get to the Bay. "Go Figure" I have also heard of guys being refused a claim when there bikes went through the Ice because they say the Ice is an artificial surface ?. I talked to a guy a couple of years ago from Simcoe and they would not cover his truck on the Ice because it was only 2 wheel drive and they said it would only be covered if it was 4 wheel drive Off Road version " Huh " I would like to here what others have to say.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:43 pm 
Walleye Master

Took this off a snowmobile site..

Insurance and Registration
Before driving a snowmobile, it must be registered with the Ministry of Transportation. If you are operating the snowmobile off your own property, the registration must be valid and you must have liability insurance. Carry both the registration permit and the insurance card with you when riding. Failing to produce either of these documents to a police officer or conservation officer when requested could result in a fine of up to $1,000.

Also I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who is an OPP and he said Yes you have to have at least Liability Insurance and in order to get that your sled must be registered.

I think the Law and the Insurance companies need to clear this up. If your insurance does not cover you on Ice then i don't see why we are forced to buy it. I can only see it covering you if you hit someone and if you done that chances are you drunk as a skunk, Drive like Grizzly or Blind as a Bat in either case they would still not cover you. " My Head Hurts " Sorry Chuck had to throw that one in there. Just be glad i didnt tell everyone that we spoke on the phone tonight while you were naked in your bath tub. LMAO

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

Last edited by Fred Fisher on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:57 pm 
Walleye Master

Walleye 9 wrote:
As far as I know, whether you have insurance or not, as soon as you hit the frozen lake, you're not insured. Same as a vehicle I believe. So, I'd say no.

They may be able to get ya from when the sled leaves the truck/trailer to the time you get onto the ice though. Just make sure the back tires of your truck are on the ice when you unload. Unless you're on private property. :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:29 pm 
Walleye

same rules apply to snowmobiles and atvs you must have liability as soon as you are using it on property other then your own including public property

taking a vehicle out on the ice is an at your own risk activity just like walking out you do so at your own risk because there are no official guidelines for safe ice based on vehicle thats why ppl buy 500 dollar skidoos for ice fishing ask whats included on comprehensive snowmobile insurance through your provider many official snowmovile trails have lake crossings

liability insurance on my atv is 7 bucks a month you will spend more in gas then basic insurance if you dont have the registration get a bill of sale and go to the MTO but all you technically need is a vin number to insure it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the posts guys. Fred hit an interesting point which is where I was going with this...(keeping in mind I only want to drive on ice) it's a grey area if you'll be covered on the ice ... Yet you need the insurance . I have no problem paying insurance if it's the law, but if I only want to drive it in the very place your not covered if something happens , then I can't follow the logic other than a shakedown . Lol
If you hit someone on the ice and the insurance WILL cover you for the liability, then it's fair play

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 am 
Walleye Angler

The minute it goes through the ice is usually when it is reported stollen, if you have that coverage, doesn't matter where the theif drives it and the insurance company has to pay for the retreival:lol: As far as a 35 year old sled it is likely pretty cheap to insure and they can be snagged off the bottom pretty easy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 am 
Walleye

Check O.F.A.H. insurance. They include specific coverages for hunting and fishing, $1M liability if you shoot a cow etc. They also have very reasonalbe riders for small boats and ATV's.

Bonus is, I've been with them for about 12 years and have shopped around a number of times and no one has been able to match their prices. Grey Power was more for the house and vehicles than I pay for house, vehicles and a bass boat with OFAH.

Might solve your problem and save you some money.

Take the grandkids fishin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 am 
Walleye Angler

So my research has become rather interesting. My insurance company employees can't agree whether it's covered or not if you hit somebody on the ice so now it's making them want to dig deeper into it. The one thing that is consistent yes, as far as the MTO is concerned, they want you to have liability insurance on the ice and will be fined accordingly if you don't. As I say, I have no problem in paying insurance where and when it's needed however I do have a bit of an issue if you are on one hand legally required to have the insurance, yet you don't really have the coverage when on the ice.
So my insurance company is looking into it further and getting back to me, I will post my findings as soon as I find out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:45 am 
Walleye Angler

Oh yeah, thanks for your post Bassn 51, I will definitely check that out if I'm not liking what I hear from the insurance company. I've been quoted $140 from the insurance company which I think is reasonable IF it includes being on the ice as well lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:15 am 
Walleye

Fellows

Good post, here's a few facts but always check directly with your insurer.

- the provincial government is the body that mandates compulsory liability insurance ($200,000)
- the provincial government is the body that mandates compulsory registration
- the provincial govornment is the body which mandates the applicable fines and required safety equipment
- the actual full fine for no insurance is $5000.00
- basic liability coverages protects you in the event you cause injury or property damage to others
- collsion and or comprehensive covers damages to your actual machine
- there is no exclusion for liability coverage if operating the machine on a lake
- if the machine goes through the ice it is covered if you have Collision insurance
- I am not aware of any exclusion in this respect for Collision

Always check with your insurer directly if in doubt, practice good safety!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:44 pm 
Walleye Angler

I just got off the phone with the insurance company and the ruling is as some have said ...Yes , the liability coverage follows you everywhere including frozen water.
Logic kind of says that it should have since it's also law that you need it on frozen water. At least I'll feel better about coughing up my hundred and $140 :lol
It was interesting though to see that the initial answers were inconsistent within the insurance company

banner ad