Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 pm 
Walleye Angler

For discussions sake, I am curious if others have begun to think about alternatives to gaffs when icefishing. I have seen far too many lost and injured fish and have refused to use one now for the last 7-10 years, unless it is a fish to be harvested in the 2-5 pd range. I welcome ideas and direction towards any new trends to ensure better releases, retention icefishing.

Thanks for taking a peek. I do hope that people are able to be civil and polite.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:19 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Most times if it's Walleye and I have my old gloves on I lip the buggers, a few teeth come through now and then but best way to get the big girls in unharmed. My buddies laugh at me but with the adrenalin going you don’t feel it till later...lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:41 am 
Walleye Master

I never use a gaff. Most times i hand lift the fish out but on real cold days when cold hands are a problem i use this soft gaff I made. It is not sharp at all as it is very well rounded off at the tip. I make these and have used them for years as well as allot of my friends on this forum that i have made them for. You simply keep the fishes head in the hole then slide this along side him and slip it into his gill plate and pull him out. No damage and the fish release great.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 am 
Walleye Master

we always use our hands, if you have a buddy thats even better. You can always use a boga grip or a pair of channel locks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:10 am 
Walleye Master

I like that Fred, how does one go about placing an order? :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 am 
Walleye Angler

Can't remember what it's called, but I use this thing I got from Canadian tire it's sort of like a soft pinch that you grab by the mouth. It causes no damage to the fish, I really like it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:26 am 
Walleye Catcher

I just use my hands...but it's not the most gracefull thing in the world. I like the idea of a soft-grab deal that TintWizard mentioned, but I've never seen one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:58 am 
Walleye Master

Sounds like TintWizards tool may be a Boga Grip, like Landshark mentioned earlier. I think I may pick one up. Might be good for grabbing the big girls out of the net too, instead of sticking your hand up in the gills. I believe some of them have scales built in. Not sure how accurate they are though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 pm 
Walleye Master

Yes if ya get one with a built in scale you can kill a few birds with one stone and get it released sooner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

I think I will get a Boga grip too. I really like a sound, quick release and do try to selectively harvest. I love to keep fish, but am spoiled rotten and strive for the best quality.....which include larger female walleye from the Bay as a photo, but not as tablefare.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I just drill 2 6 inch holes side by side and use the spud to join them up. Give you a lot more room to handle your fish, plus makes it easier to fish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

Walleye 9 wrote:
Sounds like TintWizards tool may be a Boga Grip, like Landshark mentioned earlier

I'm not sure what they're called but here is a pic here. Forgive the blatantly free advertisement in the back ground in my slow season lol
I'm still going at it till the hard water. Love this time of year , kayak fish every other day and nothing a sweater and a kayak skirt can't fix !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

I've never not seen a pike , eye , ski , l or s bass draw red from using this as swimming away from the yak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

I think my target will be a boga grip suitable for up to 60 pds. I get to fish for halibut a bit and after reading the reviews, I think that the brand name one is ideally the way to go. Walleye, halibut, lingcod and northerns are what I am thinking. Hopefully this will further enhance better releases for me and of course more selective retention for tablefare.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:35 pm 
Jumbo Perch

just a quick note for those looking to use boga-style grips... Whether in a boat or on the ice they are great tools but remember... they are heavy and sink fast. I would look at tying them to your boat or ice shack so they don't accidentally end up on the bottom of the bay. I've also seen kayakers use them with a small buoy attached so that if they get away they float. The 'real' bogas are really expensive and I'd freak if a fish or 'fisherman' like myself were to knock it to the depths!!!

Tight lines!

banner ad