What size walleye will you keep?
I don't discriminate, all fish are welcome at my table 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I only keep 1 - 3 lbs. 63%  63%  [ 26 ]
4-7 lbs are ok for me. 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
anything over 7 is for pictures or the wall. 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 41
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:27 am 
Walleye Angler

Recently I have been watching a show on the Discovery channel about catching Tuna. I find it an interesting show, however they view catch and release way differently than we do. It seems that there is a slot size for tuna that protects the younger fish as opposed to the bigger girls like we try to protect.

I was just wondering if, and hoping for some insight from the educated members on this site (MNR workers and conservation volunteers), is it better for the walleye population of the bay to harvest the smaller fish, middle sized fish or the big girls? I know that for years we have all been raised to believe that the large girls are the spawners, but for Tuna that doesn't seem to be the case.

I try to stay within the 1-5 lbs. range, but really only out of ignorance. Just doing it that way because that is the way that everyone else does it without knowing the truth as to what is best for the fish. I will never eat a trophy though as I can't think they would taste that great.

Anyways just hoping someone who knows, could shed a little light on the subject.

Thanks,

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 am 
Walleye Master

I don't believe there is an issue with the walleye population on Quinte, or the slot would be changed. I believe (I could be wrong though) years ago, there used to be a bottom slot on Quinte as well as the top slot. After MNR research, they removed the bottom slot saying it had little or no effect on the population.

I personally think they should drop the top slot down though. Zone 17 slot is nothing over 19.7" and I think I've noticed a difference in fishing over the last couple of years. Numbers and size!!! I'm cleaning fish that are 18" (roughly 2 pounds) that are full of eggs. It's not just the 6-12 pound walleye that have eggs.

My 2 cents

If you Google "bay of quinte walleye slot size" there is a few good articles about this topic. I tried to send the links over, but was unable to.

Last edited by Walleye 9 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:34 am 
Walleye

Far as keeping a fish from Quinte, talk to a biologist, you wouldn't keep anything from there.
All fish we catch go back. We just look for the Big clean ones for a picture.
Hear is one we caught there a couple years ago. Judge for yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:51 am 
Walleye

We fish quite a bit but seldom do I keep anything over 3lbs, unless I am with a new fisher, or a kid then we will keep one in the 5-7lb range. Very different from when I was a kid where we would keep everything over 5lbs, all the smaller went back. Amazing how time and a little education can change the way we do things....

RED

teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Show him a fishing show, bore him to death...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:09 pm 
Walleye

Hi

Can anyone comment as to the health issues with the fish posted above?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:51 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I try to keep the smaller ones (1-3lbs) only, b/c I've heard the big ones are the good breeders...but like Dan said, my knowledge is based on hear-say. Also, I don't want to eat a fish that's been swimming around in lake ontario for 10 years...I think the smaller ones would have less contaminents. That picture is disgusting, but I eat fish from our waters once a week (if I'm lucky) and I don't have a problem with it. Honestly I'd rather eat a fish out of our freshwater lakes then one raised in a fish farm swimming around eating other fishes anti-biotic infused crap it's whole life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:02 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

KHynes wrote:
Hi

Can anyone comment as to the health issues with the fish posted above?

From a quick search I found the following, it appears to be dermal sarcoma but I'm no expert.

Walleye are commonly affected by two skin conditions that may occur separately or in combination. Differentiation of the two infections may be somewhat difficult for the untrained eye. Both of these conditions are considered to be caused by fish viruses.

Walleye - click for more informationThese viral skin infections are not associated with walleye mortality, and they are harmless to humans. Infected walleye should be processed for consumption in the normal manner. On the rare occasion when a skin lesion penetrates into the musculature, that portion of the fish tissue can be removed and discarded to improve its appearance. A more detailed discussion of these two conditions is presented below.

The first condition, called lymphocystis, is commonly found in the central portion of the United States, especially in and around the Great Lakes region, and in the south-central and south-eastern regions of Canada. It is characterized by raised, rough, nodular masses of generally light colored, somewhat opalescent white, gray or cream-colored tissues that superficially resemble warts. Larger, more developed lesions may have areas of pinkish or reddish coloration due to blood vessels in the infected tissues. These lesions are usually external, located on the skin or the fins, but occasionally they are found internally along the gut and in the heart and other internal organs. Massive replication of the virus within the walleye skin cell causes the size of the infected cell to increase in size dramatically. Eventually these cells burst or slough off, releasing the virus and leaving a light colored scar. Lymphocystis usually appears in the spring and reaches maximum development in the summer. In the fall and winter the lesions gradually disappear. Although walleye are most susceptible to the lymphocystis virus, perches, sauger, darters, sunfishes, basses, bluegill and crappie can also develop the infection.

The second condition is called dermal sarcoma. This benign skin tumor is similar to lymphocystis in gross appearance and location on the fish, although dermal sarcoma tend to be found more frequently on the body than on the fins, and the lesion tends to be more variable in color, depending on the blood supply and the amount of fibrous tissue present. These single or multiple, smooth and firm nodules develop to about a half inch in diameter. They are more prevalent in the fall and spring. They are less frequently observed in the summer. Female and younger walleye tend to be more affected by this condition. The cause of dermal sarcoma has not been determined definitively, but transmission studies suggests viral activity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

1.5 - 5 pds is where I try to target for any walleye I keep.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:04 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't keep 7+ sinply because of the age of the fish. There was a chart posted last year that showed weight/length vs age and the 8+lb fish are 15+ yrs old. Who am I to end the life of something that has perservered for that long. Also I'd rather it keep growing and catch it bigger and bigger. Unless its a 16+ lbr in which case its goin on my wall (after I drive around town and show everyone, lol)

I believe the bet breeders are the 2-5lb fish, they are the healthiest and contain less toxins also I'm sure...

This all said if the fish isn't going to release well than I'll eat it regardless of size

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:33 am 
Walleye

I believe this is the chart, Andy Todd sent it to me along with some info after I reported a tagged fish we caught while trolling the open water last February 1st & 2nd. I was surprised at how old the fish was and how little it had grew from the the date it was caught, tagged and measured.

It's a catch 22 in Quinte, the ones you want to keep and eat are the prime spawners.

Cheers,
G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:47 am 
Guppy

The question I would like answered is whether the walleye are safe to eat?

I usually fish the back lakes and don't worry much about it but I am reluctant to eat anything out of Lake Ontario.

Is it any different in the Bay of Quinte, Hay bay, Napanee River?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am 
Walleye Master

Anything in moderation is fine. I eat and have eaten many lake ontario walleye/salmon/bass and I'm still alive :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:48 am 
Walleye Angler

BigMac wrote:
Anything in moderation is fine. I eat and have eaten many lake ontario walleye/salmon/bass and I'm still alive :)

Keith Richards is technically still alive too lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:07 pm 
Walleye Master

Well played... But that's not "moderation" lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:50 pm 
Walleye Angler

That fish has lymphocystis.

For urine purchase call 1-800-MUX-URIN

banner ad