Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 pm 
Walleye

I believe the best quote ever on this board about eating sheepies was buy a cedar plank put it on the BBQ put sheepie fillet on plank - cook for 10 mins throw sheepie fillet away and eat cedar plank.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:23 pm 
Walleye

Jim Lyon wrote:
9iron...a finer gentleman you will never meet...other than me right? Remember I got the boat. Gee Hammer I just read-read your post and it was really well written,did your wife do it for you? There is no way you did it on your own.

well if you can call a bald headed hippie a gentleman, i guess we might have to stretch it ...... and hey i am more than a great fisherman, and mentor to you young guys... i can call for help when needing something typed up ..

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:36 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Italo can have all the sheepies I catch. Yuck.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm 
Minnow

It all depends on your attitude towards the fish.....

2-3 pounders are perfect for any eating they way you want and anything over that is best poached in salt water or done in a smoker..... but doesn't freeze well, best eaten fresh.

Many will eat it, many won't... same misconceptions can be found with boubot (ling).

Any way you look at it:
"to each their"
"Chacon son gout"
"don't knock it..."; you get the idea. :roll:

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:04 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Jim Lyon wrote:
I don't think the "idiot" comment is warranted. I have know and fished with him for 40 years. Italo is a spiritual man and a gentleman, I have NEVER heard him say a bad word about anyone. Posting a comment like that is rather gutless and pointless and has no place on a fishing forum.

Agreed it is an unfair comment and I'm sure he is an upstanding citizen and there are many of us who haven't lived a purists life. It has been said let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Guess maybe he should have been throwin' rocks years back instead of following his pal(Hank) down Poachers Lane. He couldn't have chosen a worse place to act out his transgressions than in plain view of the public eye :wink: . Just a thought.

Ass Monkey

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:18 am 
Walleye Angler

I never tried eating them but I have caught them on everything I throw at sport fish so I don't think they are just bottom feeders, Wallies and pike won't pass up something dead laying on the bottom when they are feeding either. I have heard of others eating them, I'll stick with a hotdog lol.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:33 am 
Walleye

Jim Lyon wrote:
I don't think the "idiot" comment is warranted. I have know and fished with him for 40 years. Italo is a spiritual man and a gentleman, I have NEVER heard him say a bad word about anyone. Posting a comment like that is rather gutless and pointless and has no place on a fishing forum.

If you have known him for 40 years then you are obviously aware of all the MNR charges laid against him for poaching. I respect you for sticking up for your friend....but I have no respect for Italo. Either he didn't know the regs or didn't care to follow them....and he is supposed to be an ambassador for the sport? Gimme a break. How he got back on tv again with tackle companies willing to sponsor him is beyond me. As for the gutless comment... I met Italo a few years ago at the spring fishing show and I told him as much to his face when he wouldn't stop hounding me to buy a kayak.

You can have your sheepies.....just leave some eyes for me.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:05 am 
Walleye Wisdom

hahahahahah LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Bounce them off your motor when you release them!!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 am 
Walleye

merkinbrumsky wrote:
Jim Lyon wrote:

If you have known him for 40 years then you are obviously aware of all the MNR charges laid against him for poaching. I respect you for sticking up for your friend....but I have no respect for Italo. Either he didn't know the regs or didn't care to follow them....and he is supposed to be an ambassador for the sport? Gimme a break. How he got back on tv again with tackle companies willing to sponsor him is beyond me. As for the gutless comment... I met Italo a few years ago at the spring fishing show and I told him as much to his face when he wouldn't stop hounding me to buy a kayak.

You can have your sheepies.....just leave some eyes for me.

And I imagine you are perfect. He is a very nice person but like anybody else, he has his faults. I'm sure if I spent a day with you I can identify your faults as you can identify mine. As far as "hounding" you about a kayak, remember he has a job to do and he was doing it. What have you done that has benefited the fishery if I may ask?

I've known Italo for 30 years. He's taken us out to the Saugeen, I've fished with him on Wilmot, Oshawa, and Bowmanville creeks and knew him when he operated Professional Taxidermy in both the Oshawa and Newcastle locations. Very spiritual, very polite, and extremely respectful of others. Sure he's made a mistake years ago but people have to quit living in the past and see what he is doing now. Yes, he used to floss fish in the rivers 20 some odd years ago, but he doesn't do that anymore.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:27 am 
Guppy

Haven't tried freshwater Sheepshead but the saltwater ones are awesome.

I have fished for them in Florida and would definitely not be throwing them away.

banner ad
banner ad