Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:29 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Nov. 5th Hay Bay Report
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:42 am 
Walleye Angler

Went out Monday @ 10:20 am. Set out from Blakewood Lodge area and headed along North shore towards Ram Island, man was it cold. Anyways my big boat is out of the water so I was fishing low tech. All I have is a minn kota endura c2 on a small bath tub of a boat. No fish finder to tell me debth, not gps for speed.

Trolled from 10:20 till about 2:00 without a bite, unless frost bite counts? I was flatlining a C.C. Shad (silver on black), about 120' behind the boat, had the endura bouncing between it's lowest setting (1 of 5), and it's second setting. Nothing. Thought I would take one more pass on my favorite trolling line, so I put the motor in its 3rd setting so I could turn hard without tangling my line in the motor when all of a sudden the rod doubles over. Fish on.

Now if you have ever tried to bring in a fish in a plastic boat that only weighs 110lbs, it isn't easy. Anyways, after what felt like an epic battle, the fish reluctantly made its way to the net, and weighed in at 6.5 lbs. Nice walleye. So I decided to keep the boat going at this faster than normal pace and only 20 yards later I am into my second fish, a pike weighing just under 5 lbs. All in all a fun way to spend a day off.

I am not sure if this means that the big girls are in or not, but none the less the 6.5 lbs walleye is the largest one I have taken by boat in my life. I've done better from shore, but still a PB from a boat.

I was another boat out there with me, a blue princecraft, I tried to wave him over to share the wealth but it seemed he must have had some success where he was because he never came over.

All I know is that the fish that I have been catching on this line are not deep. My C.C. Shad is hitting bottom where I am, and that seems to be when the walleye hit. Any deeper and nothing.

If you haven't had much luck, my line is east of the little island that is east of Ram Island. There is a house on the North shore that has a dock that runs parallel to the shore with a pile of rocks 5 feet from shore. This house is west of Bay View Resort, and this is the starting point of my trolling line, from here I have been trolling west towards another house that has a princecraft stored for the winter under a roof that has no walls. It's only a small line, and I fish the shallow side of it (maybe 200 feet from shore). Anyways I have hooked up the last three trips along this area.

I share it with you all as the trolling season is too short to not help each other have some success. If your in the area and see me (small green bathtub looking john boat) say hi.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:55 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Great report Dan, thanks for the detailed info. If I get a fish on your spot using your hot lure, will you fillet it and cook it for me too? :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm 
Walleye Angler

If I can eat some of it. LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:08 pm 
Minnow

thanks for the report.

I will be heading out Friday and was planning on trying a few places in Hay Bay. I will give your line a try and report back. I also have a low tech setup and dont have the luxury of downrigging the reach.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

Well Hitchin I hope you do well. I think that I may be out with the old man that day, give a holler if you get one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:54 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Hey Dan

Thanks for sharing your fishing and the details. We saw your little 'boat' & motor on Sunday.

David aka Superdad