banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Deseronto boat launch
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:51 am 
Guppy

Hey everyone I'm new to the site and just want to say hello and this site looks great . I just have one question about the deseronto boat launch ??? I have heard a lot about the water being low and the launch is in rough shape due to the hump . I am launching a 19 ft Lund deep v and just wondering on the water level there or am I better off going some where else ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!! Heading up tomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:46 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I saw a 17.5 Starcraft launched a week ago and they slide off their rollers with no problem. Don't know how they did taking the boat out.

And there had been a couple of boats taken out just before I got there and they appear not have had any troubles.

If you launch there keep the boat and trailer as tight to the dock as possible as there is less drop off the cement pad.

Lotsa Luck

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:03 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the reply just can't wait to get out and catch on of those BOQ hawgs !!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:16 pm 
Walleye

Thebigfish wrote:
Hey everyone I'm new to the site and just want to say hello and this site looks great . I just have one question about the deseronto boat launch ??? I have heard a lot about the water being low and the launch is in rough shape due to the hump . I am launching a 19 ft Lund deep v and just wondering on the water level there or am I better off going some where else ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!! Heading up tomorrow

I have a 20 ft deep v and I launched there on Tuesday of this week. Make sure your motor is tilted up fully out of the water and don't lower it until you are past the hump(about 25-30 ft from edge of shore). Taking your boat off and on is no problem just make sure you pull your boat as close to the dock as you can when it comes off the trailer. Don't let your boat just slide out quickly off the trailer, try to ease it off.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 pm 
Baitfish

Which Deseronto launch are we talking about with the rock/gravel pile? The one in the park or the one near the bridge on the north side? I am hopefully planning on launching a 20' 8" deep v in Deseronto all next week. Has anyone marked the rock/gravel pile with a plastic bottle or two for reference? Lastly, are either ramps still do-able for my sized boat?

Thanks in advance

Al

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 am 
Walleye Angler

Dock is out on fairy lane by the bridge, north side.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:58 pm 
Walleye

Big Al wrote:
Which Deseronto launch are we talking about with the rock/gravel pile? The one in the park or the one near the bridge on the north side? I am hopefully planning on launching a 20' 8" deep v in Deseronto all next week. Has anyone marked the rock/gravel pile with a plastic bottle or two for reference? Lastly, are either ramps still do-able for my sized boat?

Thanks in advance

Al

We are talking about the one at the park. Just walk down on the dock and take a look at where you are putting your boat in before you launch and you will see the hump. Make sure you have your motor tilted up at least above the bottom of your boat,or out of the water would be safer. If you have an inboard/outboard then you will likely have to go to Picton and launch .

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 pm 
Walleye Catcher

As of today the launch has been repaired but it may not be a good thing until the water level is back up. They had an excavator there today and have fill the big drop off with lots of crush stone but its up so high you have to back way out to the end of the dock just to get your boat off of the trailer and its still a struggle with your vehicle is in the water too. When the water level comes up about 12" the launch will be great !

banner ad
 Post subject: Deseronto boat launch
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:39 pm 
Walleye Catcher

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:11 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

ChugBug262 wrote:
As of today the launch has been repaired but it may not be a good thing until the water level is back up. They had an excavator there today and have fill the big drop off with lots of crush stone but its up so high you have to back way out to the end of the dock just to get your boat off of the trailer and its still a struggle with your vehicle is in the water too. When the water level comes up about 12" the launch will be great !

That's good news and bad.

Good that they fixed the launch but it sounds like a band-aid solution. Instead of filling, why did they not just remove the pile of rocks that were there? If anything they should have been taking the problem away and not adding to it. I used that launch a couple of weeks ago and it was fine for getting the boat off and on the trailer IMO. Was aware of the rock pile problem thanks to the great people here and worked around it and did not have to put my truck into the water. Hopefully we get a ton of snow this winter and lake levels are back up to where they should be in the spring.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:20 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't understand why people are so worried about repairing the launches. There's nothing wrong with them!!! The issue is the water level being low. When the water level is "normal" all these launches are fine. Nobody has to worry about drop-offs and rock piles, or power loading, beacuase your boat floats right over top of them. Shouldn't people be questioning why the water levels are so low, rather than blaming the government for lack of maintenance???

banner ad
banner ad