Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sat. Nov 17th Report
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:27 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Well I made the trip down from the Ottawa area Saturday to try my luck at Quinte. Arrived at Picton shortly after 6:30am, Picton was a busy place Saturday morning.

After launching headed east of the ferry and after a quick briefing to my first fishing partners for the day, both Quinte virgins, we were fishing. With two Quinte rookies on board I was hoping we would have a bit of beginners luck. We worked east of the ferry starting on the north side near the lighthouse working east, we marked fish and bait but no takers.

We started with a 5 rod spread (2 flatlined TT20s, 1 reefrunner, 1 td11 and 1 spoon on 5 colour core/torpedo diver set up) we worked our way east and then to the south shore of Adolphus Reach, marking lots of fish but no takers.

We switched up our spread to 2 flatlines with deepdivers; a 2 colour core with reefrunner; a 3 colour core with td11; and 2 riggers with spoons set at 41 feet (dw green/glow spoon) and 35 feet(gold/black ripplin redfin).

We continued to mark fish anywhere from 20 feet down all the way to 80-90 feet down and then as we continued trolling the south shore heading east............ nothing. As we continued to mark lots of deep fish, 80 plus feet down, I dropped them downriggers to 81 and 87 feet and after a few minutes of trolling the spoon on the rigger down 81 feet goes off and we land our first fish of the day...... a nice 3 pound.......... sheephead. :( Not exactly what we were looking for. So we decide to pull our lines and run to the gap. As we are pulling lines we decover we had a second first on the rigger at 87 feet and we land our second fish of the day.......... 87 feet down over 120 feet of water on a rippin' redfin..... a nice silver bass. :(

We set up at the gap and trolled for awhile, marking very, very, very little of anything, so we pull our lines at 1:30pm and headed west.

We had been communicating with 4 other boats by text message through out the day and many other guys out there seemed to be having similar results as our.

After heading west of ferry the we set up on the west side shoreline starting near Thompson's trolling south towards cement plant, we were running 2 flatlined TT20s on the in-line boards and 1 reefrunner running down the shoot 150 feet back. Shortly after we started the reefrunner takes a hit, but the fish gets off during the fight. :(

We continue trolling towards the cement plant and fished Picton Bay until about 5pm with no other action.

It was a nice day of the water, relatively calm, not cold, a little sun, but no walleye. Hopefully when the winds change direction the fish activity will pick up.

Thanks to all the guys who shared info through out the day.

Hopefully back back down in a week or two.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

Post subject: Re: Sat. Nov 17th Report
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:16 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Great report Jim, fishings been hit or miss the last few days and east wind doesn't help. I'm sure the fish will be hitting next time down.
Tim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:07 pm 
Walleye Angler

80 feet down for walleye? Keep the filet knife handy, those walleye are as good as dead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:10 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Thanks for sharing - it's tough out there - keep trying - they're coming - they've GOT to get here.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:46 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Jimbo wrote:
80 feet down for walleye? Keep the filet knife handy, those walleye are as good as dead.

Did the MNR change the regulations, is it now illegal to keep walleye on the Bay of Quinte??? lol Normally I release all large Quinte walleye I catch and keep a few smaller ones.

Yes, I know a walleye caught from 80 feet down would probably not survive being released. I have never fished this deep before, usually fish the top 35 feet.

I was marking so many deep fish between 80 and 100 feet down, I was curious to see what was down there, so I dropped the downriggers down for about 1/2 hour. The plan was if we actually caught a walleye we would keep it to eat and bring the riggers back up and fish the top 30 feet as normal. After catching the sheephead and silver bass we didn't run any baits that deep for the rest of the day.

In the worst case we would have killed 2 walleye fishing the riggers that deep (if we had a double header on) which with 3 guys on board is still below our legal limit.

I did help out the walleye population by reducing its competitors for food by keeping the silver bass and sheephead, which I encourage more people to do, they will make a nice tasty snack.

JimW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:18 am 
Walleye Wisdom

thanks jim for the report.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:44 am 
Walleye Angler

JimW...................totally agree with you.......no MNR limit on how deep you can fish......great report

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 am 
Walleye Angler

jim,
I did the same as well. not to 80 but the 50ft area on the balls. I ran spoons just to see what was down there, also understanding if i hit a big girl it would be dinner,but nada zero nothing.
thanks for the report

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 am 
Walleye

Good $hit Jim good luck next time thanks for the info

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:00 pm 
Walleye Master

Good report Jim, Thanks.

I don't run riggers or divers much any more. But if you do, you can release those walleye that come from below 50'. Tighten the drag up, get them in the boat, unhooked and over the side. You have about 30 seconds max. You can't dick around and take pictures or fumble around getting the hooks out of the net. Fish first and back in the water. I have seen them many times go straight to bottom in 100 fow.

Now, I run a lot of 7 & 8 cores with deep divers and 200 coppers. All in the 40' plus range. Only 1 walleye that couldn't be released in the last few years.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Thanks for the tips Al.

No Quinte Gold this weekend, but I just finished a nice dinner of fried Quinte Silver (aka silver/white bass) and Quinte Bronze (sheephead), makes a tasty alternative.

JimW

banner ad