Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Quinte Overrated
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:27 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Hello...after putting in many hours fishing with no fish and reading the many other posts of anglers doing poorly I am really wondering if Quinte is overrated as a walleye fishery. I will say that if you do catch a fish it will be a good one but they are few and far between...your thoughts?

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

Post subject: Re: Quinte Overrated
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:39 pm 
Walleye Angler

I would respectfully disagree. It's all about timing I guess. This year I for one have had great sport with the walleye....Yes, slow at the moment but time yet. I am getting a little long in the tooth for late fall/early winter fishing but will continue to chase them as long as the weather holds up. Once we start getting snow, sleet, cold winds and low temps I will call it quits till May. But those who stick it out till the water goes hard usually do pretty well with the big ladies in the bay.....the choice is yours.

Good fishes!

Be happy, take care, enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:42 pm 
Walleye

Timing, east winds,presentation, water temp., wouldn't want it too easy , want it to be a bit of a challenge to get a 10 lb + eye !
Am a bit concerned of the health of the walleye population cause there's a lot of intelligent fishing pressure these days. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:57 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Pretty hard to find the Wallskies when the water temp is well over 45 degrees. It will be different posts when the water hits 40.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:02 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

They'll be here sometime

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:04 pm 
Walleye Master

I'm only a few years into the deep water, planer board, fall migration walleye deal, but I'd say if you start doing it mid October, you are about a month too early, and may get frustrated with the skunks. ( I've learned that lesson) Sounds like they're just starting to turn on now. Pretty much the same as usual. As far as eaters go, just like any other lake, they are shallow this time of year. I can't figure out why guys are trolling or jigging in 20-30 FOW for eaters....Just like the spring, in the fall they are probably in 10 FOW or less. You can't compare the migrating Walleye coming into Quinte from Lake Ontario to the resident walleye. Two totally different stories.

My 2 cents

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:29 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Jimbo,

Yep, Quinte is overrated. Tell all your buddies there are no Walleye left in Quinte. The fishery is dead. The hay days are over.

Maybe Quinte will become the Sheepshead capital of the world. There are always great Sheepshead reports.

Call me crazy, but I will continue to waste my time on Quinte. lol

BATMAN 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:43 pm 
Walleye

well last weekend nov 9 i fished 4 hrs friday night with a buddy and got 22 walleye 1 to 3 lbs and saturday night 3 of us got 33 wallys.....all 1 to 3 lbs so 55 fish in 8 hrs.......yep the fishing is done everyone go to moira lake this year to ice fish :lol: this weekend we did not do very good only 6 fish but if your there when the fish are and are using the right bait,and doing the right thing this is a great place to fish :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 pm 
Walleye Master

Nope, not overrated

Quinte is known for the large population of large mouth bass it holds... Still lives up to that name........

If your looking for mass populations of walleye, head to Erie/ Detroit river system, st.clair etc..
The walleye capital of the world title is long gone, lost in the late 90's.
But there still is a kick ass fall walleye run, that peak's from the start of December,to early Jan. first ice is famous for big fish.
These are spawning fish, and practicing catch and release, is what keeps this fishery strong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:21 am 
Walleye Angler

sunrisecottageresort wrote:
Pretty hard to find the Wallskies when the water temp is well over 45 degrees. It will be different posts when the water hits 40.

Exactly!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:32 am 
Site Admin

There is no doubt the population is not the same size as it once was. Multiple MNR data sources clearly show that. Thats said, the same data shows the fishery is stable and has been for some time. I think its about managing ones expectations and goals. If your goal is numbers there are tons of smaller fish available as shown in Kings report and if you want a true double digit trophy few other places in the province are better. If you're after a trophy expect it to be a relaxing day chatting with friends and watching boards and hopefully a bite or 2. Sometimes you get a hot day and they bite good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:10 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Dan...i appreciate your point of view and agree with it 100%. Perhaps I should have clarified my statement a bit. I understand that Quinte is changing into a first rate bass fisheries. My problem is I am a died in the wool walleye guy and don't fish for bass. I fish the big lakes for big fish not for small "eaters" as i don't eat fish. What i am wondering is what do all the walleye anglers do in the summer when the water is 70 degrees. I don't see a lot of boats or trailers 3 weeks after the season starts until everyone gets fall fever. I guess my point was that Quinte is "world class" 2 months a year!! Am I wrong in this?

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:26 pm 
Walleye Angler

Its not Quintes fault the EYES Migrate out of the Area for the summer, you should be able to find the quinte Eyes near niagara in the summer time..
I got nearly 4 grand in cash spent into quinte before i got my first over 8 pounds..

Then I Realized, If you truly want to get hooked into the eyes, you should focus all your time trying to Catch Sheepies...
Nearly Dredging the shoreline with your lures sometimes helps too...

*Disclaimer- Im not a Walleye pro.*

~Jeremy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:42 pm 
Walleye

jim i think you may have to clarify that again , and make the two months a year as a BOAT fishery... because, we do not fish thru the ice anymore we may tend to forget about dec, jan, and feb as very good walleye fishing,, (depending on when it freezes over) i know how far you and i have travelled out into lake ontario during the warm months looking for the big walleye and probably if we fished with riggers instead of staying in that upper 35 ft or so, we might find a catch a few....your question is a good one, but with the bass musky walleye salmon steelhead browns now being stocked i would call it world class..you have pretty much the best of everything right at your doorstep.. so don't fret if you are not getting many.. the old guy is just about back to normal health wise and will do as i have done since you were a long haired pain in the butt teeny bopper and that is lead you by the hand to great sucess..lol
your pal and mentor
hammer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:41 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Hey Jim , if you think the walleye fishin is slow , 8O try Muskie fishin ,you don't go by how many hours since your last bite , you go by how many day's :lol: but if your on the water when the bite happens ,,,,,,,,,,, Priceless :D

banner ad