Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wind Direction
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 pm 
Walleye Master

Does anyone (other than me) think that wind direction has anything to do with fish feeding?? Reports over the last 2 weekends seemed to be a bit slow. Both weekends, winds were from the East or Northeast. Chasineyes did good 2 weekends ago, but I believe he caught on the Friday before the wind turned.

I've heard this saying before....maybe it's true!!!

Wind from the East...fish bite the least
Wind from the West...fish bite the best
Wind from the North...do not go forth
Wind from the South...blows bait in their mouth

I'm sure fish have been caught in North or East wind before, but I was taught when I was a kid to not even bother fishing in an East wind.

I'm curious to see what some of the Lake Ontario Salmon guys think about this theory.

Post subject: Re: Wind Direction
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 pm 
Walleye Master

Well I guess you could call me a salmon guy.

In large deep bodies of water, wind has very little effect on salmon and walleye. East wind is usually an indictor that a low pressure area is about to hit. The wind is rushing form the east to the west where the low pressure front is. As the low pressure front passes, the wind will then change from the east to the west.

Salmon - in this area, we usually fish a hundred feet down and that is about 6 atmospheric pressures and the slight variation in one atmosphereic pressure that a pending low pressure front creates has none or very affect on that species.

Walleye - we fish much shallower in the fall but the wind has very little affect moving the huge schools of gizzard shad or shinners. The predator fish have more affect moving the schools of bait up & down the reach or from shallow water out to deep water.

In shallow bodies of water (30' or less) wind will have a huge affect on the forage that the predator fish are chasing. The prey fish will move with the wind to the windward shore. Also an atmosphereic pressure change will also affect walleye and bass.

I have had some of my best days fishing in a east wind for salmon and fall walleye in Adolphus Reach.

With an east wind (low pressure area coming in), we usually have overcast conditions and sometimes rain or snow( :D :D ) which is the weather that I prefer to fish in.

Just my observations.
Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:10 pm 
Walleye Master

I would agree with Al on his comment about the wind and it's effect on fishing. I have heard them old saying's many time's growing up from my Dad and Grandpa but i always had another one. If you listen to this you'll miss the fish. LoL...

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:37 pm 
Walleye Master

I don't know boys. I respect your guys opinions, based on your experience and knowledge, but why haven't people been catching anywhere else on the Bay lately?? Hay Bay, Shermans, Thompsons, Belleville etc.. The fall migration may be a bit different, due the deep water, but the resident Walleye (2-5 pounds) should be feeding like mad.
Not trying to be a smartass, but by the sounds of it, I'm kinda glad I stayed home last couple of weekends.

I hate East wind!!!!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:02 am 
Minnow

The best wind to fish is the wind that blows when your out fishing. just fish boys and let the wind do as it will, and just enjoy the day. just my 2 pennies worth

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 am 
Guppy

I don't pay attention to wind direction. It may affect where, and how they bite, but i don't believe they completely turn off based on wind direction. Shallower bodies of water, may be affected a little more, but I have had east winds, and caught plenty of fish! Are they where they usually are during a west wind, or do they bite on the same tactics? not always, but they'll bite. From what I'm reading, things are slow this fall....... but it's not like it's only been slow during east winds has it? i think it's just a slower start all together. Most of my experience comes from the ottawa river, and nipissing, so my theories may not apply to the big migration but....

I'm coming down this weekend, so i expect things will pick up around thursday night!! lol! good luck all!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:15 am 
Walleye Master

The flatter the better for me. I like glass. I always do better. I dont believe u need a chop. To me boat control is key. I have never found wind direction to make a difference

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:21 pm 
Walleye

The weather matters extremely to animals Wind direction, Temp, Light, Moon, Barometric pressure, Low and High fronts it's your ability to read these changes and apply your attack it's guys that know how to read these are the once that win tournaments and have better days, for a every day guy if you like washing lures it does not matter.

I fish for salmon every year fishing the west end, the East wind is not good for me because it's just to dangerous but have noticed on an average less fish are caught with an East.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:47 pm 
Walleye

hookemhard wrote:
The weather matters extremely to animals Wind direction, Temp, Light, Moon, Barometric pressure, Low and High fronts it's your ability to read these changes and apply your attack it's guys that know how to read these are the once that win tournaments and have better days, for a every day guy if you like washing lures it does not matter.

I fish for salmon every year fishing the west end, the East wind is not good for me because it's just to dangerous but have noticed on an average less fish are caught with an East.

Along with making it uncomfortable to fish...in the West end an East wind usually stacks up the warm water along shore pushing the salmonoids deep. I think the poor fall bite so far has more to do with the warmer temps than anything. If the fishing is still slow when the water temps reach the low 40's...then you can worry.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:05 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks guys. Just wanted to hear some opinions. I'm coming down end of the week and cottage has been booked for 3 months, so matter what direction, I will be out. Hopefully not too rough.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:40 pm 
Walleye

Moon phase is a more dominate factor for migratory walleye activity, than wind. IMO
Watch what the deer ,fish and people do during this week , lots of feeding and breeding activity coming,
its gonna get wild ! :P

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:05 pm 
Baitfish

hookemhard wrote:

Couldn't agree more!

My two biggest bass ever came off of east wind days, it's more about knowing where to fish in certain winds, and it has more effect on skinnier waters. Wind current trough saddles and neck downs can load bait in certain areas and put bass, eyes and musky there feeding on them but the direction of wind will determine where these areas are.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:20 pm 
Walleye

My 2 cents on wind direction, I have generally found the bite to be tougher with an east wind. I looked back over my Quinte fishing logs for the past 6 years and there is a noticable drop in success on days when the wind is from the east. East is least, west is best, tried and true, of course there will always be exceptions.

I do have a question on water temperature, I understand the big walleye come into the bay from the lake in the fall when the water gets cold. And low 40's is more optimal then high 40's, but once the fish have moved into the bay (and assuming they are there now), why would a few more degree drop in temperature improve the success, unless its just a matter of more still coming in.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:37 pm 
Walleye

Honestly I don't understand the temperature remark that's been popping up it's not like these fisherman have temp probes to measure the temperature at the depth they are fishing??? and the funny thing is a walleye optimal temperature for its metabolism and active is in the range of 55-70F meaning these colder temps that everyone is reading on the surface are better for dead slow presentations like jigging rather than them chasing a plug?? I use a temp prop for salmon fishing in the great lakes where your fishing the 42-48F which salmon prefer but when they move in to the rivers when the time calls where the temps are 82F they just don't give a dame what the temp is because there natural instincts take over for spawning and game over.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 am 
Guppy

yes there are several other factors, clarity etc... but for the most part, light refraction & barometric pressure can only go so deep. things like a chop will redude how far down light penetrates. i could be wrong but i believe pressure only affects down to 15-20 fow or something. wind direction will play a part in terms of where bait fish etc get pushed, and therefore where to fish, but I don't believe it "turns the bite off". deeper water fishing, imo, isn't really affected by the above. I can attest that deer, and human behaviour are greatly affected by moon phases! But have also have proved the moon phase "best fishing times" wrong on several occasions, so have yet to be convinced of it's affect on fish!
It's neat to hear everyone's experience with this stuff! only makes us think and pay attention more! I wish I were disciplined enough to keep a good log.......

countdowns on for me!! 11 hrs to departure!!

banner ad
banner ad