PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:26 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Fished harder than I ever have before:

Saturday Nov 17 8am-4pm
Sunday Nov 18 3-5:30pm
Monday Nov 19 6:30am-4:30pm
Tuesday Nov 20 7:00am - 6:30pm
Wed Nov 21 7:00am-10:15am

Trolled from Shermans point to the bat cave, focussing on Adoluphus reach, middle and south side. Marked lots of big fish, localized bait balls. For the most part 3 guys, 6 rods running EVERYTHING in the box, TD 9's and 11's, Reef runners, dives to 15's and 20's every colour known to man and a few others, also tried worm harnesses and several previously productive spoons on dispys. And the count.....Drum roll please......ZERO FISH!! :oops:
Not even a sniff.

Unbelievable.

The water temp was 46 up in the bay, and varied around 50 in adolphus reach. Got a shot at very calm and choppy waters. The weekend is a circus out there. Talked to lots of guys at Merland park where we stayed, only one group got one fish. Charters there were not catching anything and were calling off clients.

Un-freakin' believable.

Merland Park was nice - we stayed at Laker Lodge, and the beer was cold...still better than work, but the toughest bite I've ever experienced.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:45 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Have patience. Cold weather is finally in the forecast. This will cool the water down.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

Always seems to be the way, you go out for a few hours after work and the fish are jumping in the boat but when you plan a trip, spend money on a hotel etc and you cant buy a bite.
I remember a few years back I booked a spring walleye trip on Rice about 5 months in advance so every week while I was waiting for opener to arrive I was reading articles, watching walleye episodes I PVRed, bought a ton of stuff (most of which never made it out of the tacklebox) then once we got there we had 4 days of horrible fishing, we got 1 keeper walleye between us.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:01 pm 
Walleye Angler

I hear ya man! I was out full days Sat & Sun and we only managed 3 fish (two of three being under 2lbs) in three full days trolling. It was extremely tough out there. We marked unreal amounts of bait and fish, but nothing wanted to cooperate. Hopefully the cooler weather moving in will turn things on a little more!

Is it just me or is it very odd that MOST people have been skunked or landed a fish or two over the course of the same time when others (apparently) caught like 20+ fish?! Hmmm...... sounds a little like "padding the totals" to me. :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:06 pm 
Walleye

Been there and done that on more than one occassion. Congrats on the honest report, my group is at Merlands this weekend and we'll brave the cold and wind for a few days and hopefully things will improve.

I do understand them to be very much a schooling fish and when you're on them you're on them. I can remember fishing Sherman's Point through the ice several years ago for 2 solid days with nothing...guy comes out on the Sunday afternoon just as I am about to pack it in, drills his holes not 200yards from us, drops his jigs and within an hour he had his limit and shoved off. Once he had left we moved to his holes and did the same thing!

That's fishing I guess...great to hear the beer was cold.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:13 pm 
Walleye

did anyone think to change there speed? i have a 20 hp honda on a 14 foot boat and it trolls faster than most people do,but i seem to get fish.... fishing with my dad his boat is slower trolling than mine but if i am catching fish and he is not he speeds up and gets fish! i know people say 1.2 to 1.4 mph but i bet if u speed up you will see a difference..... i bet my boat is at 1.6 to 2.0 mph......just a thought

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

I tried speeds ranging from 0.9 - 1.9 mph and we hit our big fish (12.52lbs) going at 1.6 mph

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

If your wanting to go a little slower with your motor, (or have the option of going slower) you can turn the throttle down out there once you get going. I have a 25 hp merc and i can get it down to 1.0 when i pull the cap off and back out the throttle screw while out there! Just an option!
Good Luck
taylorT

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:38 pm 
Walleye Angler

Drift socks also are worth their weight in GOLD (no pun intended)

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:56 pm 
Guppy

Hey DL, got the lowdown from Steve today....We'll be there first week Dec. hope for better results for sure.

tight lines!!! they'll get hungry.........

B.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:20 pm 
Walleye

We never fished the weekend but finishe our week off on the friday and landed 7 we hit a few on the faster side of our turns but we hit allot probably 80% of our fish on a lure other then a deep diving banana bait, with a two ounce snap weight.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:27 am 
Walleye Wisdom

my last few weeks have been brutall as well,in fact its killing my confidance.hopefully this weekend picks up.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 am 
Walleye

I was down yesterday, trolled 9 hours and got zippo. We varied speeds, depths, colours, etc, nothing worked. Did see a couple of fish caught in the mouth of Hay Bay. These days it seems like the fish turn on for very limited periods of time in certain spots, and if you are luckey enough to be there when they turn on, you get fish. (thats really nothing new) Its not like they are hard to find, we found active fish, lots of them, from Hay Bay to the red barn in Long Reach, but no takers. Watched the charter boats down by the red barn all pull up after only half an hour and head for Hay Bay, where I am sure another charter radioed they were getting fish. We followed a bit later only to see that the party was just ending, saw one net in the water as we arrived and that looked to be it. Didn't see another net out after that. Tried east of the ferry, again they are there but not taking, so spend the rest of the day back in front of Hay Bay where the charters were still there. Maybe we should have stayed there, don't know if it picked up or not.

I applaud DL for posting his frustration, I am hearing much of the same, lots of skunks or maybe one or two. Every now and then someone has a big day and posts a good catch, but how often do these same people post bad results. Its much easier to post a big catch than a skunk, and everybody gets skunked, but many just don't post their bad days.

But at the end of the day, there is nothing better than watching the board go back and feeling the weight of one of the big Quinte walleyes, so the good days make up for all the ones where you stare at your boards hours on end and nothing happens.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:54 am 
Walleye Catcher

Some good info in here - yes we did slow right down - tried 1.0-2.2MPH, mostly around 1.8mph. I usually run my baits 200 feet back from the board, and I did try shad style baits running high in the water column (10-15feet down). I'm pretty sure we tried all the standard stuff, and even some things I would not normally try in the fall (worm harness, spoons/dipsies, etc). I can't explain the lack of active fish, but thought I'd share my experience as it can just as good to know what's not working as what is working. It's hard to believe with all the guys we talked to and local charters that there was only 1 fish caught. Maybe something unconventional would be the ticket? Who knows...I'm skipping quinte this weekend and going to try a back lake for walleyes. Good luck out there guys.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:21 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for putting up the report Dave and it was great getting out with you...It was the worst that I have ever seen other than the tease bite we got Wednesday morning before we left. I'm going to try and get out with Bender when he's down there in a couple of weeks..

Steve..

banner ad
banner ad