Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Are boards the only way?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:12 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hey guys, while I have never been out on the bay in November or December, I would like to try in the future (probably not this year!). I have read all of the reports and it would appear that all of you use planer boards. I was wondering if they are the only method, or I guess the most likely method, to have success. I don't own any boards, but have downriggers. I am just trying to figure out whether I should ask the wife for some planers for Christmas.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
Brad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:27 pm 
Walleye

Almost everyone uses planer boards this time of year, don't see many downriggers, no need to go that deep this late in the year. Ask for them for Christmas. Never hurts to have one line a couple hundred feet back behind the boat with rod in hand so you feel the bite, never know how many hits are missed because you took your eye off the boards or by the time you picked up the rod the walleye was gone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:45 pm 
Walleye Fry

Personally I don't think boards are "required" for CATCHING fish. When you are fishing using free running baits you're typically getting active fish on the end of the line so the fact that the boards take the lure away from the boat I think is irrelevant. Spooking isn't an issue really for active fish. Inactive, you typically won't catch on a free running lure unless you nail the depth perfectly just above bottom. If you have the right depth and speed going, and are fishing where there are fish, you will catch em.

The nice thing about the boards is you can easily get more rods out with almost no chance of tangles vs flat lining (or downriggers because in this case your downrigger depth will be similar to a flat lined lure diving depth) and the spread the boards provide lets you cover more area quicker to locate fish.

My 2cents but no expert.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:26 pm 
Baitfish

I would like to agree with Consigliere. The only reason I would use a board is to cover more water. These walleye fight bad enough, adding a board to the climax of the fight really takes out the fun. I find it funny when I see 3-4 lines fishing from another boat, all with planer boards on :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I like boards because as they surge forward and drop back in the waves that action also goes to the lure

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Boards are not the only way to go no more than riggers for salmon and trout. I would guess that most anglers use them to spread out their presentations with multiple people on board. I usually fish alone so i do run boards but the times i have guests i use two boards and two flatlines. I have caught as many fish off the flatlines as the boards but do use longer leads on them which increases your "lost" percentage.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm 
Walleye Angler

2 guys in the boat east of ferry, allows you to run 2 lines on boards then choice of flatlines/down rigger/dipseys equals a nice 4 rod spread hard to due without boards taking the 2 lines away from boat.
cheers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:38 pm 
Walleye

I use a couple of small boards, 1 left 1 right, that i pick up from Cdn tire or bass pro that i keep in my box. They clip on your line and take you our 20-30 ft. on each side of the boat and i have caught fish on them both. They are good options to have when you can fish 2 lines and want to cover more water. But i still like to fish directly behind the boat and work whatever lure i am using. I just like the feel and contact more i guess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

A few years ago, one of the Board sponsors who guided was asked the same questions: Boards or no Boards????

His reply was quite simple" " If you want to catch a fish or two or three, then flatlining will work BUT if you want a chance of 5 - 6 - fish per day then Planer Boards are the way to go."

His success rate was superb above average.

I don't think he's fishing down this way any longer.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:01 pm 
Walleye Master

every rod i put in the water gets a board on it.

3 guys 6 rods, all boards.

flat lines are only if I loose a board mid trip, which I did one year.

i had five boards and one flat line.

by the end of the trip, on our 9th day in a row, we didn't even set out the long line any longer...just ran the five boards, and went short one rod.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:16 pm 
Walleye

Depends on the amount of noise you are making too IMHO.
A quiet small 4 stroke outboard or electric gives flat lining more odds and sometimes under a freaky moon or a big pod of fish, it just doesn't matter. Sometimes walleye want to check out a prop. if it's giving off the right buzz ( higher smooth frequencies ), and not some clunking gamble bearing.
However even in my kayak I'll run a board most of the time just for the spreadge in the clear deeper water. So definitely put boards on your Santa list or just buy a Right and Left NOW and get out there
while the fishing is good. :) JMO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:14 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Personally i haven't seen any difference other than the # of lines you can put in the water. Catching fish, i see no difference. I used to use them, but only flat line now. I try to always run my Terrova when trolling and not the big motor, so no noise. Once you find some fish, you replay the route .. over and over again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Alot of the baits that are popular in the fall get down pretty quick on a short lead eg 30-70 ft. The active fish are up high. My boat is 2o feet and if I let out 50 feet then that bait is only a stone toss behind the boat. With the noise of engine and flash of the prop spinning its going to be near futile to get bit on that bait. Snap the same bait on a board and let it waaay out to the side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:30 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks guys....so I guess it would be a good idea to get some boards!! I do flatline, but I wasn't sure if the riggers would be a good idea to just know your depth. I guess the real purpose of boards is to get the line away from the boat and cover the water farther away from each side of the boat. I will ask the wife to get that for Christmas....She is pissed cause she ordered me hunting/ice fishing boots from Marks, and I went and bought a pair at BPS....oops! Not a mind reader!
Anyways, thanks for the help guys! maybe I will get out next year!
Brad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:03 pm 
Perch

steve-hamilton wrote:
every rod i put in the water gets a board on it.

3 guys 6 rods, all boards.

flat lines are only if I loose a board mid trip, which I did one year.

i had five boards and one flat line.

by the end of the trip, on our 9th day in a row, we didn't even set out the long line any longer...just ran the five boards, and went short one rod.

BUT YOUR THE WIZARD STEVE NO ONE BEATS THE WHIZ. LOL

banner ad